Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 03:44 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Irradiating food does not make it radioactive.
No one said that. Who would ever even think that?

What is dangerous is pesticide residue on fruits and vegetables. You can't wash it all off either, even though they say you can. I can't afford to buy organic but I definitely garden organically and always have. On a small scale, it's cheaper and easier than buying pesticides and fertilizers.

Last edited by in_newengland; 04-24-2016 at 06:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 03:49 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
You sure can't New England. I've tried everything on the planet to get that crap off the skins of waxy fruits and veggies, it won't budge. We try to grow as much as we can to control it, and can eat right off the plant.
*You can blanch foods like tomatoes and peppers to remove the skins, but I've read whereas it actually gets into the fruit/veggie itself. Another reason to go organic.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:42 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
You sure can't New England. I've tried everything on the planet to get that crap off the skins of waxy fruits and veggies, it won't budge. We try to grow as much as we can to control it, and can eat right off the plant.
*You can blanch foods like tomatoes and peppers to remove the skins, but I've read whereas it actually gets into the fruit/veggie itself. Another reason to go organic.

And expose yourself to more tainted food.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:28 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
No one said that. Who would ever even think that?
Go to Mercola.com. He compares irradiated food to food contaminated by events like nuclear power plant disasters.

Quote:
What is dangerous is pesticide residue on fruits and vegetables. You can't wash it all off either, even though they say you can. I can't afford to buy organic but I definitely garden organically and always have. On a small scale, it's cheaper and easily than buying pesticides and fertilizers.
There may be residues on food, but washing will remove some, maybe most, but not all. The question is whether the amounts remaining are dangerous or not.

Not all of us can plant our own gardens. My home is on 9+ acres, none of which get enough sun for even a small garden.

The "organic" label does not guarantee a pesticide free product, and nutritionally, organic does not appear to be significantly superior.

Organic food no more nutritious than conventionally grown food - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health Publications

Organic foods: Are they safer? More nutritious? - Mayo Clinic

Peeling fruits and veggies can remove more pesticide than just washing. Yes, you lose the nutrients in the peeling, but a varied diet will make up for that.

Is your produce safe? *How to wash away pesticides from fruits and veggies - TODAY.com

Old 04-24-2016, 05:56 PM
509 509 started this thread

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
We live in a apple growing area.

The skull and cross-bones signs restricting entry into the orchards during spraying and after are NOT confidence builders. However, the deaths and sickness caused by eating organic foods is reaching crises levels.

There are downsides to industrial agriculture.....even organic industrial agriculture.

Looking for "safe" alternatives that will help safe lives.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:08 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Today...ANOTHER organic food recall.

Listeria sparks recall of vegetables frozen in Pasco, sold at Costco | The Seattle Times

If you click on the recall. You will notice that it is ALL organic food products.

Organic food products are the most dangerous food products that we eat.
No illnesses have even been reported from this recall. Its a bit extreme to say organic foods are the most dangerous food we eat...

Old 04-24-2016, 07:03 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Go to Mercola.com. He compares irradiated food to food contaminated by events like nuclear power plant disasters.

There may be residues on food, but washing will remove some, maybe most, but not all. The question is whether the amounts remaining are dangerous or not.

Not all of us can plant our own gardens. My home is on 9+ acres, none of which get enough sun for even a small garden.

The "organic" label does not guarantee a pesticide free product, and nutritionally, organic does not appear to be significantly superior.

Organic food no more nutritious than conventionally grown food - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health Publications

Organic foods: Are they safer? More nutritious? - Mayo Clinic

Peeling fruits and veggies can remove more pesticide than just washing. Yes, you lose the nutrients in the peeling, but a varied diet will make up for that.

Is your produce safe? *How to wash away pesticides from fruits and veggies - TODAY.com
I've never heard anyone say organic is more nutritious. I have heard, and it would make sense, that the pesticide residues do not wash off. I've even read that you should wash your vegetables with bleach! Bleach is toxic--who wants to breathe that full strength? And who wants it on their food?

I usually try to keep up with the toxic twenty or the dirty dozen--
Foods You Should Always Buy Organic - Dr. Andrew Weil

I buy organic strawberries and freeze all I can. I grow spinach in containers. Those two are on the dirty list and are foods we eat a lot of. The rest--since I can't usually afford organic, I just buy the regular kind. In most of the cases, those on the dirty list are not even foods we often eat at all simply because we don't like them. So I guess you just do the best you can. I assume the pesticides are toxic whether there's scientific proof yet or not.

We have two organic farms very close by but I'd go broke if I went there very often. I've never heard of any cases of salmonella from either of these farms though.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:19 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
The recall in question sounds like a processing problem, not an organic food problem.

Try to place the blame on the correct portion of the food supply chain before sounding the alarm, wouldja?

Old 04-24-2016, 08:44 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
...the deaths and sickness caused by eating organic foods is reaching crises levels...
More hyperbole with no factual data. You can't make statements like this and expect everyone to believe them. I know quite a few folks who grow organic produce.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:41 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've even read that you should wash your vegetables with bleach! Bleach is toxic--who wants to breathe that full strength? And who wants it on their food?
You don't wash them in full strength bleach! And you rinse it off, so you don't consume the bleach.

I worked at animal kennels where we washed the bowls, floors, bones, toys, etc... in a bleach solution. Its perfectly safe as long as you do it correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink