Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 10:09 AM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
A burger and fries at Five Guys had me up half the night on the toilet. It seems they don't clean their grill often enough and use bad oil for the fries. Everyone likes french fries but with all the oil and salt, I think they are one of the most unhealthy frequently eaten foods out there.

Note, I never feel bad after eating McDonalds.
Additionally, the absolutely IMMENSE portion of fries at Five Guys is really...over the top.
Few people have the willpower to refuse to polish-off the fries that they order, and the amount that they give you at Five Guys is ridiculously large.

Nobody should eat that many French fries at a sitting, but I am willing to wager that most of their customers do eat them all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 11:14 AM

93 posts, read 130,587 times
The last time it happened where I could trace the food source, it was a buttered everything bagel purchased from a newsstand on my way to work. I ended up with horrendous diarrhea. I was of course given my employer's blessing to leave early, but wasn't confident I could make the 1 hour mass transit commute home without soiling myself. I ended up crawling under my desk George Constanza style and spent the rest of the day there until I figured things had settled enough that I could get home.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:31 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,647,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Getting sick from eating bad or disagreeable foods is an unfortunate part of life.

What was the last thing you ate that made you feel not so well?

Last week I had a McDonald's double quarter pounder with cheese meal, with a 6 piece chicken nuggets. For days afterwards I had an upset stomach and the runs. I don't think it was food poisoning as I didn't feel nauseous or vomit, just that my body wasn't used to not eating there for a long time.
Yep, same here. Most any fatty, greasy junk food is the bottom of the barrel. Might as well dumpster dive and save money.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:32 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grm215 View Post
The last time it happened where I could trace the food source, it was a buttered everything bagel purchased from a newsstand on my way to work. I ended up with horrendous diarrhea. I was of course given my employer's blessing to leave early, but wasn't confident I could make the 1 hour mass transit commute home without soiling myself. I ended up crawling under my desk George Constanza style and spent the rest of the day there until I figured things had settled enough that I could get home.

Out of curiosity how did you trace the culprit?

Old 05-02-2016, 11:36 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,525 times
When it comes to actual food poising depending on the type I think it can take hours to days to show symptoms. So sometimes it isn't what you had for dinner last night its what you had for breakfast 2-3 days ago. But we (me too) tend to blame the last thing we ate.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:43 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,413,825 times
Taco Bell, about a year or two ago.
Never. Again.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:48 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,712,890 times
Dickey's BBQ. My wife and I decided to try eating at one of these when out of town. While not truly debilitating ill from our experience, we both had uncomfortable stomach and intestinal "issues" for the next few days.

We've not been back since :-) Ironically, we drove by that restaurant (about 75 miles from our home) just yesterday, and as we always have since the "incident", we joked about going back in for another delicious meal of intestinal distress....lol.

Probably an isolated incident, but after an experience like that, you just lose your appetite for ever going there again. It's like the old saying, "First time shame on you, second time shame on me".

Old 05-02-2016, 01:31 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
I am amazed that people don't puke over cold cuts. It is the most disgusting food the way people handle it. Cold cuts unless you slice them yourself goes through a machine that is not sanitized throughout the day and it goes through and cuts all types of meats and cheeses that could be laced with bacteria and germs. The only reason you don't get sick or die from it is the meats are full of preservatives that kill all types of bacteria good and bad.

The end result is a weakening of the immune system and likely the reason so many people take antibiotics for just simple cold and small infections.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:36 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,332,649 times
We were on a trip to Boston. We walked over to the Bunker Hill area and stopped in some tavern nearby. I think it was supposed to be the oldest one in the area or something. I remember eating some sort of pretzel and something else. I also drank a cranberry cider (alcoholic). I don't know what it was, but I was up all night in the bathroom. Felt sorry for my spouse as the bathroom door opened directly next to the bed.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:01 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,685,373 times
A year or so ago I had a chicken salad sub from Whole Foods and I swear it made me ill.
I remember after eating it feeling very full.... which OK...I just ate a big sub, so naturally I'm going to feel full.... fast forward three hours later and I still had this disgusting full feeling.... I started to feel not only full, but also nauseous.... I kept burping and I could taste the chicken salad. It was awful. . I kept burping and my stomach was making all these noises, as if it was moaning in pain. Ugh. Just thinking about it makes me squirm. Never again.

Needless to say, turned me off the Whole Foods chicken salad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink