Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 03:13 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I have relatively high blood pressure (135/85), and read up on the value of beet juice in lowering BP. We juiced up two beets with some carrots and apples. I drank that sucker down in a couple of hours. About an hour after I finished I puked that whole thing up. I looked like a really sick vampire. It turns out that raw beets are pretty powerful medicine.

Beets are good....in moderation.
I regularly drink lots of beet/carrot/apple juice, so I suppose I've built up a tolerance for it. However, I do remember the first time it showed up in the toilet the next day. I almost passed out when I saw all that red. I did have a large raw beet salad in a French restaurant that caused a bit of gastric unrest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 06:07 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,733 times
Happened over three years ago at a spot in Los Angeles called Louisiana Fried Chicken. I was on my way to the library down the street when I figured I'd stop in for some good ol' yard bird. Everything was cool until I woke up with stomach pains the next morning. Thought it was bad gas and went back to sleep, only to puke up the two breasts I ate that night in the commode. Follow up the day of vomiting and dry heaving with two days of the runs () and you have me, a then 28-yr-old woman feeling like a miserable old bat, as a result of eating some C-grade chicken from a supposed "A-grade" spot that gave me an F-grade stomach.

I still eat Louisiana Fried Chicken to this day; I just refuse to eat at that location (Jefferson & Arlington for you CD users in L.A.).

Old 05-03-2016, 06:28 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
December 21, 2012. The day the world was supposed to end (ha). I had a stomach virus (or something) that made me so sick I fainted in my bedroom doorway while home alone.

I was home on winter break from college and did nothing and saw no one but my family for two days prior, literally, except go to the gym. Went nowhere else, didn't even see friends except one who went to the gym with me the night before I got sick. I went to Chipotle after the gym (something I rarely ever did because I've never liked Chipotle but had a strange craving for a salad from there) and ate it at home. Next morning, I woke up at 4 am with a horrible stomachache, up in my actual stomach area, not my intestinal area. I couldn't go back to sleep. Scrolling through my twitter feed, saw a picture of a pizza which would normally have me craving a pizza but it only made me feel sicker. That's when I knew.

It took me hours to throw up, and I didn't throw up a lot and only for about an hour, but the stomach and back pain was brutal. I guess I was dehydrated because I hate vomiting so I refuse to drink anything for some time when I'm sick (bad I know). That's when I fainted. I probably should have gone to the hospital. I was sick the whole day. For a while I blamed the gym, even though I am very conscious of cleaning the machines before and after use and washing my hands, but after the recent Chipotle outbreaks and scandals I lately have been inclined to blame Chipotle. No one in my family was sick, neither was my friend or anyone in her family. So it was definitely either the gym or the food. No one in my family wound up getting sick, either, which often happens one when of us has a stomach bug. Frequently, at least one other person gets it. Not this time.

Either way, I'll never know for sure, but I have not eaten Chipotle since and probably never will. Especially after all the recent norovirus and E. Coli outbreaks. Ew. Honestly the place has always grossed me out. Why I had that craving in the first place, I'll never know.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:44 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Got sick from eating restaurant fish in Myrtle Beach in 2005. Ended up in Grand Strand hospital for 3 days!! Lousy vacation.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:51 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
I ate a a local Chinese Buffet. Had to get prescription meds to stop that flow.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:46 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,329 times
Long john silvers. The hush puppies sent me over the edge.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:04 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,712 times
i had some spaghetti squash last night for the first time. didn't necessarily make me "ill" but definitely felt extremely bloated and had some GI discomfort from it.

i was really excited because it's extremely easy to make and a healthier alternative than pasta but the ramifications from it may prevent me from trying it again.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:06 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,154 times
Aspirin. This morning. For the last hour and a half or so.

Ok, I kid (kind of). It was a simple side dinner salad (that I purchased at a restaurant). It seemed "ok" while I was eating it, but afterwards, I was queasy for some time. I think I'm off of salads for awhile. Other than that, it was chicken that had been grilled. Well, chicken SKIN. I didn't eat the chicken. It was because of the smoke and because of how it had been seasoned. The types of food I'm able to tolerate is changing though - I don't think it's a function of the food or the cook, it's a function of my body changing and health issues.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:52 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
An organization I belong to raises money from members by a couple of people making lunch for donations. Three years ago, a mother/daughter pair made mac 'n cheese and I had lunch there that day. All through the meal, the daughter commented how good it was, but I didn't think so. Later that day, I became ill. It either happened due to the food or the constant talking by the daughter, who speaks in a loud, annoying voice.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:55 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
A chicken vindaloo curry.

It's way way way to hot and spicy for me but after a day of drinking with the boys I didn't have my common sense with me and was in agony for 2 days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink