Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 06:44 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Good coffee takes time, there's no way around it.
+1

Yup!
Keurig-type machines are simply not capable of producing coffee with a deep, full taste, filled with the flavor nuances of the region where the beans were grown.

Just as with many other things in life, there is an important decision for one to make when it comes to coffee:
Do you want it good, or do you want it fast?

If you want it fast, then Keurig is the way to go.
If you want it good, then you need to use high-quality beans, grind them just before you prepare your coffee, and then utilize a high-end coffee maker, such as the Technivorm or the Bonavita.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 07:00 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I swore I would never do pods, have been grinding my on coffee and making drip or espresso for many years, and having tried Keurig at people's homes and at hotel rooms, was not at all impressed.
Exactly this. My wife has a Keurig, I have a drip pot, and never the two shall meet. Keurig coffee is far inferior in flavor to coffee prepared most any other way and no matter how little coffee you drink, it costs more than preparing it other ways. With a Keurig, the owner is getting convenience and paying more for that convenience. I've tried her Keurig coffee and it usually tastes too weak to me. I'm not a person who requires particularly strong coffee; Folgers Medium Roast is my go-to most days.

If you don't get a Keurig and want to maximize flavor of your coffee, I suggest you get whole bean coffee and grind the amount you want daily with a grinder, preferably a burr grinder. Then prepare the ground coffee using your drip pot, French Press, or whatever other method you like. You can save unused coffee portions long-term using a vacuum sealer. What, you don't have a vacuum sealer? Even if you go with a Keurig, vacuum sealers are a fantastic kitchen appliance to own. They preserve food long-term without the downsides of freezing. So I suggest you get a vacuum sealer if you don't own one already. I've been able to preserve whole bean coffee for a year or more successfully using my vacuum sealer.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:33 AM

638 posts, read 594,129 times
hmmmm, after all that, I bought a Keurig, more as a 'screw it, I'm here, its here lets just get it' kind of purchase.

It does the job, I'd agree with whats written above in that its not the strongest coffee. I usually just drink espresso with a nespresso machine, but this is 'ok' for a morning cup.

I was a bit worried, one of the boxes I opened showed the pods to be some kind of mesh fabric, so I assume it wouldnt keep too long, but another box I opened was proper individually sealed pods which should be better.

I don't drink much coffee, not even a cup a day on average, so wasn't too into the idea of grinding beans etc though with some of the bean to cup machines available these days it might have been a mistake. However the machine (I think the K425) was 20% off in bestbuy and came with a $25 dollar gift card so really only cost me about $79.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:52 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,417,131 times
I got a Keurig a little over a year ago because when we moved we started hosting large family groups for holidays and groups of 20+ other times of year. It seemed a good way to go. People could help themselves to coffee, decaf or chai at any time. I'm not a coffee connaisseur at all but after a while, all of the coffee pod brands started to taste off to me and I would have to add more and more sweeteners or cream to make it taste good. I recently got a French press and the first thing I noticed is that I don't have to add anything at all. The coffee is smooth and quite drinkable on its own.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:02 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1

Yup!
Keurig-type machines are simply not capable of producing coffee with a deep, full taste, filled with the flavor nuances of the region where the beans were grown.

Just as with many other things in life, there is an important decision for one to make when it comes to coffee:
Do you want it good, or do you want it fast?

If you want it fast, then Keurig is the way to go.
If you want it good, then you need to use high-quality beans, grind them just before you prepare your coffee, and then utilize a high-end coffee maker, such as the Technivorm or the Bonavita.

I thought Keurig coffee was fine until I started having it everyday at work. Now I think it is a crummy and expensive cup of coffee.

Best thing to do is to get a regular drip machine with a metal filter basket (no filters needed). Then you can buy whatever grounds you want and it'll go far. I felt I was buying Keurig coffee pods constantly, no thank you. Hell, if you want say a 2 month supply of Keurig coffee, you'd need to fill a really significant size of cabinet space too.

I can't imagine real coffee lovers or serious everyday coffee drinkers liking Keurig long-term.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:04 AM

638 posts, read 594,129 times
Got to say, just drinking a cup of tea from it, not bad at all.

Expensive way to do tea though

Old 05-17-2016, 01:06 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
Got to say, just drinking a cup of tea from it, not bad at all.

Expensive way to do tea though
I keep a pack of Earl Grey cups on hand.. I enjoy tea from a Keurig.. There's supposedly a chicken soup cup out there.. I haven't seen those yet. not sure i'd want to try them. Hot Cocoa cups are decently cheap and good as well.

Saw at Walmart yesterday a pack of 96 k-Cups for $30. Didn't notice the brand on them. Pretty sure it was likely the Walmart brand, but..

Old 05-17-2016, 04:41 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
There's supposedly a chicken soup cup out there.. I haven't seen those yet. not sure i'd want to try them.
Nor would I!
"Chicken soup" that is encapsulated in a little unrefrigerated pod would actually be composed of salt, artificial flavorings, salt, preservatives, and salt--with nary a trace of actual chicken.

How could anybody consume junk like that, and believe that it was actually "chicken soup"?

Old 05-17-2016, 10:17 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Nor would I!
"Chicken soup" that is encapsulated in a little unrefrigerated pod would actually be composed of salt, artificial flavorings, salt, preservatives, and salt--with nary a trace of actual chicken.

How could anybody consume junk like that, and believe that it was actually "chicken soup"?

Not everyone is a food purist

Old 05-17-2016, 10:56 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I swore I would never do pods, have been grinding my on coffee and making drip or espresso for many years, and having tried Keurig at people's homes and at hotel rooms, was not at all impressed. By coincidence both our coffee maker and espresso machine died at the same time, so we went shopping. At Williams-Sonoma, we were looking at machines and a woman in apron asked if she could help us. I asked if any one machine would do both coffee and espresso, and she showed us the Nespresso Veruoline. After telling about it she made me a cup, and we were sold. Best coffee I ever had, with a good 1/2 of crema on top, from the brewing process. The pods are made for either coffee or espresso, and the machine reads a bar code to know which it is. The only real issue is cost, at $1.10/cup, but worth it. You can order online with free shipping or buy at certain Macy's that have a "Nespresso Bar." Also, they provide a bag to return the used pods for recycling. We didn't buy it there, though, but found a better price online at Amazon. I definitely recommend going to an upscale dealer that will make a cup or try at a friend or relative's house before buying either.
My Keurig is on its last legs and I'm now considering this VertuoLine. Sounds promising based on what I like in coffee. Have you tried the Aerocchino milk frother that came with the Nespresso? Does it do the job? And do you order the pods on Amazon or do they sell them in local stores? Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink