Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 01:27 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times

Advertisements

Watercress is nasty, IMO! What's wrong with beans or broccoli, or peas, limas...it doesn't have to be "leafy" greens if you don't like them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 02:15 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Watercress is nasty, IMO!
We love watercress on sandwiches made with buttered bread.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:11 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Watercress is nasty, IMO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post

Watercress is...awesome...in an Asian-style soup!

Just bring some chicken broth to a boil, add a bit of chopped ginger and some thin slices/shreds of lean pork.
Simmer for a few minutes, turn off the heat, add a goodly amount of watercress plus some thinly-sliced scallions, and cover the pot for a couple of minutes in order to "wilt" the greens just a bit.

In just a few minutes, the result is a very healthy, incredibly tasty soup that is also very light--for a first course, or for those nights when you don't want to eat a lot. If your dinner guests have adult-like taste preferences, they will love it.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:36 PM

417 posts, read 345,435 times
Skip the iceberg lettuce get spinach and make a yummy salad. Put some green peppers on it and some broccoli and some other vegetables you like. A salad should be able to fill you up and is generally pretty cheap. Stay way from packaged vegetables by the time they package it and cook it, it looses almost all nutritional value.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Haven't had it for years, but we used to have it, like you say, on sandwiches. We really enjoyed it, especially on a warm suppers afternoon.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
Skip the iceberg lettuce get spinach and make a yummy salad. Put some green peppers on it and some broccoli and some other vegetables you like. A salad should be able to fill you up and is generally pretty cheap. Stay way from packaged vegetables by the time they package it and cook it, it looses almost all nutritional value.
The only thing wrong with your idea; spinach is so much more expensive than lettuce. We do eat it a lot, but for someone really watching their pennies, it can be pricy. As for packaged veggies, this isn't totally true, they lose their nutritional value. The secret is not over cooking them. at least from what I have read, they are not as lacking in value as once thought.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:29 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
You might like this:

Cooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More

I don't buy celery any more, after finding out that it's pretty worthless nutritionally. But as I recall, it lasts quite a long time. Maybe you just need to buy smaller amounts of things so they don't spoil. Also, in a pinch, you can keep things like frozen spinach around. For me, my green vegetables are less likely to be leafy.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:17 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,679,699 times
I use celery for a filler in tuna salad. Makes me feel fuller and like I ate more than I actually did. I am not too fond of the flavor/texture either, but try to use it as much as possible anyway.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:32 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Quote:
If you have nasturtiums in the garden, the leaves have a similar bite and are great on sandwiches.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:16 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
If you have nasturtiums in the garden, the leaves have a similar bite and are great on sandwiches.
When we moved to Dixie, nasturtiums were much easier to find here than watercress, so I've been eating nasturtiums for quite some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink