U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 02:14 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,978,215 times

Advertisements

So it's a beautiful day out and I decided to grill some kabobs on the rooftop of my apartment. This is my first time doing this here and none of the grills would ignite.

So maintenance came out and finally got ONE burner to work. So I put a kabob on and...well, this isn't going good. It's been in for half an hour and the temperature gauge on the outside of the grill is barely reading 250. The kabob has chicken breast and veggies on it. It's simply not cooking. I really wanted it grilled!

Any suggestions? Should I finish cooking it by baking it instead??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 02:15 PM

32,107 posts, read 39,170,046 times
Well, if the grill won't work it may be time to go to Plan B.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:04 PM

16,935 posts, read 19,672,707 times
Maybe the tank is empty or low, or the burners need replacing. How old is the grill? Finish baking them in the oven or if you have a cast Iron grill pan cook them on that.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:11 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,716,950 times
Have you checked the venturi tubes (where the gas flows to the burners)? If they're clogged with spiderwebs or other trash, it won't light.,.,.and could cause an explosion!

Old 06-01-2016, 07:18 AM

34,544 posts, read 42,708,506 times
I guess you probably figured something out by now, but I would have used my oven broiler.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:43 AM

22,706 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Have you checked the venturi tubes (where the gas flows to the burners)? If they're clogged with spiderwebs or other trash, it won't light.,.,.and could cause an explosion!
That was my first thought because it's happened to me.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:35 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,079,070 times
Turn all burners closed and close tank valve. Wait a few seconds. Open tank valve, open burner or burners you want to use and ignite gas. If a burner is left open and then you open the tank valve. The safety device in the LPG tank will greatly restrict the flow from the tank.
Might be why the one burner was hard to light and then a small flame. If you are using Natural gas, never mind. It is another problem. Maintenance person should have been able to figure it out. Might have been housekeeping. HAHA

Old 06-02-2016, 04:33 AM

17,159 posts, read 22,167,733 times
err on the side of caution when using propane . finish in oven

I was at a friends house for a house warming cook out- he was quite proud,,his first house..
we were sitting around his pool drinking a beverage - I asked him if he needed help with his grill or grilling the steaks (he gives me a condescending look) and dismissively says,,,,im not 10 yrs old,,

he then proceeds to turn on the gas without pulling up the cover,,,i shout over "pull open the grill cover do not light"!
well he hits the ignite button and BBBOOOOMM... the cover goes flying

and his wife is screaming at him.....he says he doesn't know what went wrong,,,his wife said I just yelled over to open the cover "you idiot"!!

since then I am very very cautious around faulty propane grills

Old 06-02-2016, 04:40 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,802,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
So it's a beautiful day out and I decided to grill some kabobs on the rooftop of my apartment. This is my first time doing this here and none of the grills would ignite.
So maintenance came out and finally got ONE burner to work. So I put a kabob on and...well, this isn't going good. It's been in for half an hour and the temperature gauge on the outside of the grill is barely reading 250. The kabob has chicken breast and veggies on it. It's simply not cooking. I really wanted it grilled!
Any suggestions? Should I finish cooking it by baking it instead??
I am going to guess that the grill does not belong to you but belongs to the building since you had
maintenance come to look at it correct?
Personally I would have checked the temperature to ensure it was hot enough before putting anything on to cook.
My suggestion would be to finish the food in your broiler or on a grill pan on the stove top and notify maintenance that the grill did not work properly.
If you can purchase your own portable propane or charcoal grill to use on the rooftop.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:07 AM

11,821 posts, read 7,695,291 times
It's at 250, it's either the gas valve is not working or the OP did not open it enough for higher flame. If the tank is low, it should run out quickly instead of running low. There is a meter on any gas grill to show tank level. Make sure it is green or yellow not red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or