Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 07:11 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times

Advertisements

It's not that they're impossible to find--just that there are so few choices and this in a time when there are so many folks with diabetes and other health conditions that make it imperative that they slow down on the sugar.

When I go to the grocery store, I can find exactly one brand and one flavor of SF ice cream, along with a few cookies and snack cakes, but beyond that, there are few choices. If I go to a more health oriented store like Whole Foods, I come up with even less choices! When I go to a restaurant and the waitress asks if I want dessert and I say, "No, not unless you have something SF," they always shake their head. One waitress told me last week no SF but they have gluten-free! Cheesecake shops always have just one single flavor of SF and that's plain. (They call it "no sugar added.")

I know why choices are so few--because there is so little demand, but why is that? Are all the diabetics just eating whatever they want? I do know that's at least partially true b/c I know a few diabetics and none of them are doing what they're supposed to. Maybe if they had more choices they would be more compliant?

I'm not really asking for advice here--just a rant. I can bake and I can make delicious SF desserts at home (no more than 1x/week) but sometimes when I'm out and a friend wants to get ice cream, there are very few choices of places where I can have anything. Signed, disgruntled consumer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 07:30 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
It's possible to cut back on sugar without resorting to sugar substitutes. The reason there are fewer SF products is because people are increasingly weary of artificial sweeteners, which can cause unpleasant side effects (headaches, joint pain, etc.) and in some cases are even linked to cancer.

And yes, diabetics can have sugar. They just have to be very careful about how much they consume.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
It's not that they're impossible to find--just that there are so few choices and this in a time when there are so many folks with diabetes and other health conditions that make it imperative that they slow down on the sugar.

When I go to the grocery store, I can find exactly one brand and one flavor of SF ice cream, along with a few cookies and snack cakes, but beyond that, there are few choices. If I go to a more health oriented store like Whole Foods, I come up with even less choices! When I go to a restaurant and the waitress asks if I want dessert and I say, "No, not unless you have something SF," they always shake their head. One waitress told me last week no SF but they have gluten-free! Cheesecake shops always have just one single flavor of SF and that's plain. (They call it "no sugar added.")

I know why choices are so few--because there is so little demand, but why is that? Are all the diabetics just eating whatever they want? I do know that's at least partially true b/c I know a few diabetics and none of them are doing what they're supposed to. Maybe if they had more choices they would be more compliant?

I'm not really asking for advice here--just a rant. I can bake and I can make delicious SF desserts at home (no more than 1x/week) but sometimes when I'm out and a friend wants to get ice cream, there are very few choices of places where I can have anything. Signed, disgruntled consumer
I understand what you are saying but I think you answered your own question: why so few? Because there isn't a huge demand; maybe there should be. Look at things like low fat salad dressing; one of the main ingredients is sugar: I can understand restaurants to be honest. They have to totally depend on supply and demand, but why large grocery stores only carry a few does seem to be a shame. I do seem to see a lot of sugar free this or that. In fact sometimes I do not want sugar free and have trouble finding what I want. Have you tried Aldi's or Trader Joe's? Just a thought.

Now, on the other side of the coin: there are many ways to minimize intake of sugar without making everything sugar free. I know a lot of diabetics that do consume sugar products, just in very small amounts. Hertfordshire brings out a couple of good points: 1 being the side effects of artificial sweeteners is becoming a major concern to many.

I would suggest you write to a few companies and ask them about this? You have a right to hear what they have to say on the subject.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I would suggest you write to a few companies and ask them about this? You have a right to hear what they have to say on the subject.
Good point and I have to say that part of my plan in posting this is b/c if food companies are smart, they are paying attention to what folks are saying on the forums and this is a pretty big forum.

Oh another gripe though--sometimes I go to church suppers and avoid the dessert table and try to fill up on salad, but it seems the trend is towards dumping sugar in the salad dressings! I have made broccoli salad before and there is an entire cup of sugar in the recipe. Trouble is you never know which ones they are until you try them tho I know to avoid broccoli salad lol.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It's possible to cut back on sugar without resorting to sugar substitutes. The reason there are fewer SF products is because people are increasingly weary of artificial sweeteners, which can cause unpleasant side effects (headaches, joint pain, etc.) and in some cases are even linked to cancer.

And yes, diabetics can have sugar. They just have to be very careful about how much they consume.
Yes I've had my share of side effects from aspartame so I know what you mean but there are better sweeteners on the mkt now, like stevia. However, I see this as a six of one, half dozen of the other, because sugar also contributes to cancer and those who have cancer should avoid it like the plague.

My trouble with sugar is the addictive aspects of it--if I eat a little, I want more and more and can't stop, so AA style I quit. These days I may want a dessert, but not so often as before, so I eat much less of the sweetener than I ever did of the sugar.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Good point and I have to say that part of my plan in posting this is b/c if food companies are smart, they are paying attention to what folks are saying on the forums and this is a pretty big forum.

Oh another gripe though--sometimes I go to church suppers and avoid the dessert table and try to fill up on salad, but it seems the trend is towards dumping sugar in the salad dressings! I have made broccoli salad before and there is an entire cup of sugar in the recipe. Trouble is you never know which ones they are until you try them tho I know to avoid broccoli salad lol.
Well come to our next church function and I will make you a really good broccoli salad without sugar I am not a sugar freak and rarely use it in salads: if I do I use just a tiny amount. My broccoli/cauliflower salad has no sugar in it. Once in awhile I use a little honey.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:05 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Yes I've had my share of side effects from aspartame so I know what you mean but there are better sweeteners on the mkt now, like stevia. However, I see this as a six of one, half dozen of the other, because sugar also contributes to cancer and those who have cancer should avoid it like the plague.
Stevia can be quite expensive, and not easy to bake with. thats why you won't see it much in restaurants, where they're most concerned with their bottom line. If there were demand and they thought they could profit, they would do it. But the few times I have seen SF desserts, they haven't been in high demand.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:52 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I can't speak for everyone, but for me, food with artificial sweeteners don't taste good. So I'm never going to be a customer. I suspect that many other people feel the same as I do. If the stuff doesn't taste good, then there will be few sales. Which doesn't explain all the people drinking diet soda, which tastes awful.

There is a candy store here that makes their own candy onsite. They make superb "sugar free" chocolates. So I asked what sweetener they used and was told they use fructose. Well, hello, fructose is sugar. I guess the store owner thought sugar only means granulated beet or cane sugar. Excellent chocolates, but a bit deceptive.

It's easier to limit consumption and monitor blood sugar than it is to eat nasty tasting sweets with unpleasant side effects. Not to mention, most dessert things contain other carbohydrates, like flour, so the sugar isn't the only thing in them not friendly to diabetics.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:06 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post

I agree with you. Most of the Registered Dietitians that I know DO NOT recommend sugar-free products as they contain other ingredients that are not healthy. Rather, they recommend that their patients practice ... MODERATION and PORTION CONTROL.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:38 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Breyer's Carb Smart Ice Cream is good.

Or make your own - heavy cream, a bit of vanilla, and add sweetener of your choice (if desired - stevia, Sucralose, etc.). Put in a baggie, seal it, then put into larger baggie with ice and salt, and then shake it for 5 minutes - ice cream!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink