Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 01:21 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times

Advertisements

Great topic. I'm new to it, so don't totally understand what I'm reading.

Do CA EVOOs containing "Mission Oil" say so on their labels?

GLISA Key Documents | GLISA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_olive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 01:25 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHaller73 View Post
no need to waste money testing it with a lab. have your husband take a shot of olive oil, gargle in the back of the mouth, if it doesn't have a strong peppery, spicy sensation, there's no phenol, which means it's fake...
Wrong. Olive oil from the Koroneiki cultivar has a very high level of polyphenols. However, it is also very mild.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:23 PM

518 posts, read 1,052,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
^^^ Good suggestion but only one problem, you normally can't taste it till you buy it and open the bottle. If it's a place that let's you sample it before buying then more than likely they would not be trying to sell fake oil.
Ha ha...my thoughts exactly. I saw the 60 min show too. Unbelievable. I had not idea.

A Taste of olive does that. It's real. And real expensive, but if you need the real deal check them out. They have balsamic vinegars too. There's one in Chestnut Hill...and probably elsewhere. I see your in TX..probably can mail order...or nevermind

Old 07-15-2016, 02:32 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
[quote=Horizonite;44772047]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
The "fake" olive oils are generally olive oil diluted with cheaper oils not. They still contain olive oil and nobody on earth is going to be able to simply taste it and determine if it's 100% pure olive oil or olive oil mixed with vegetable oil. The oils that they are using to dilute it are generally tasteless and odorless so the only flavor that is going to come through is the olive oil[/quot

Why pay the higher price for Olive oil if it's diluted with lesser quality vegetable oils? That, plus the fact that many vegetable oils are already rancid as they sit on the store shelves. You can't smell the rancidity because the bottlers add perfumes to fool you.

Lastly, when you consume 2 tablespoons of olive oil daily, as I do, you can definitely taste the difference between pure extra virgin olive oil vs diluted olive oil.

The Benefits of 1 to 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil Per Day | Healthy Eating | SF Gate
You pay the price because they are telling you it's 100% olive oil

Old 07-15-2016, 03:50 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,529 times
Add me to the list of people who switched over to California olive oil when this scandal hit. Hoping that with California's regulatory environment it is more likely to be authentic and pure.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:10 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,647,193 times
[quote=ryanms3030;44772995]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post

You pay the price because they are telling you it's 100% olive oil
Take their word for it? No. You pay the higher price when you're assured that it's genuine 100% extra virgin. So who are you going to believe is telling you it's 100% extra virgin? The importers from foreign suppliers who have been proven guilty of diluting olive oil, or the California Olive Oil Council, who I've yet to hear allow diluted oils to bear their seal?

Quote:
Let’s face it: many of the olive oils on the market today claim to be extra virgin, but aren’t. To give consumers confidence they are purchasing 100% extra virgin olive oil, the COOC created the COOC Seal Certification Program.
Using stricter standards than international requirements, only the best California olive oils qualify for COOC certification. Following every harvest, we assess every member’s oil to ensure that it qualifies to display the COOC Seal.
https://www.cooc.com/about-the-seal/

Old 07-15-2016, 08:32 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,647,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
Add me to the list of people who switched over to California olive oil when this scandal hit. Hoping that with California's regulatory environment it is more likely to be authentic and pure.
My travels take me to Lodi, California several times a year on business. That's where the Corto Olive groves are located. I can tell you that these growers are proud of the oils that they produce that bear the seal of the COOC (California Olive Oil Council). Part of the reason that they can't keep up with the demand for olive oil is the awareness of the import fraud.

Here is an interesting short clip on the Corto farm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDzuETpmoEM

Old 07-15-2016, 09:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisertime View Post
Ha ha...my thoughts exactly. I saw the 60 min show too. Unbelievable. I had not idea.

A Taste of olive does that. It's real. And real expensive, but if you need the real deal check them out. They have balsamic vinegars too. There's one in Chestnut Hill...and probably elsewhere. I see your in TX..probably can mail order...or nevermind
There are loads of chains across the country like this. Here, we have The Tasteful Olive and Heavenly Olive Oils and Vinegars; I've lived in two different cities that had Oh! Olive, etc. They all do olive oil and balsamics, and they all get their oil (and their vinegars) from the same importers. No way of knowing if it's legit or diluted; you just have to take their word for it. Odds/percentages seem to point to a high likelihood of it being diluted.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:25 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,831 times
Quote:
^^^ Good suggestion but only one problem, you normally can't taste it till you buy it and open the bottle. If it's a place that let's you sample it before buying then more than likely they would not be trying to sell fake oil.
True. Just have to go out on a limb and buy a bottle. At least you will have a good idea of what you bought and if you should buy it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
With artificial flavors and colors, I doubt that 1% can taste olive oil and tell if it is the real thing.
Its actually very easy to tell fresh real olive oil from fakes. Now you may label some real boutique olive oil varieties as fake. Where it becomes more difficult is when olive oil ages it mellows out and becomes more and more difficult to discern from fakes. At that point the only fakes you spot are the ones that have fermented or are too sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Not true. I prefer oil made from the Taggiasca olive - IT'S SWEET and fruity.
Yes there is always exceptions to the rule. However 99% of all olives are bitter, not sweet. If you know enough to be buying looking up olive oils specifically made from Taggiasca or Nisce olives then you probably already have a firm grasp on how to get real olive oil. In which case you should just disregard this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Wrong. Olive oil from the Koroneiki cultivar has a very high level of polyphenols. However, it is also very mild.

And again.

Last edited by justanokie; 07-16-2016 at 04:33 AM..

Old 07-16-2016, 09:38 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Of course, the importer wouldn't have any ulterior motive for casting doubt on a competitor's product. No agenda there. Nope. None at all.
He also reps the California and Spanish OO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHaller73 View Post
no need to waste money testing it with a lab. have your husband take a shot of olive oil, gargle in the back of the mouth, if it doesn't have a strong peppery, spicy sensation, there's no phenol, which means it's fake. additionally, olive oil is derived from a fruit. it's basically an olive fruit juice and it gets worse when stored too long after it's bottled or canned, it's meant to be consumed soon. it could also be that your husband's batch has been sitting in a warehouse for a long time. many have switched to cali evoo. because of quick transit and proximity, customers of CA oil have less issues.

evoo is judged on that and also the flavor notes. some are more earthy, some more fruity. the phenol test tho is the most important.

i buy vantia brand imported dop evoo. always consistent.
Wrong.

So funny how everyone is an expert.

My husband runs a $15 million dollar a year restaurant. He can't afford to wing it and gargle with OO hoping it is good. He has a culinary degree AND a biology degree, he knows when to trust the experts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink