Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 07:05 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,901,694 times

Advertisements

Never heard of Compari tomatoes. Are those a variety or the grower's name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 07:17 PM

16,368 posts, read 30,111,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Never heard of Compari tomatoes. Are those a variety or the grower's name?

It is a hot house tomato grown in SW Ontario in Canada.

I see them at the dollar store quite often.

http://camparitomatoes.com/about/index.html

Old 06-09-2016, 09:49 PM

4,969 posts, read 5,227,577 times
Nothing beats a home grown tomato picked ripe from the vine. I can't always have that, I consider store bought tomatoes as basically a different fruit/vegetable than a tomato. I buy the Nature Sweet cherubs. They are usually at least a little flavorful and consistent in quality.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:48 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,411,120 times
In Little Town on the Prairie, by Laura Ingalls Wilder, she describes enjoying tomatoes with sugar and cream. This food blogger didn't care for it at all, but I suspect that tomatoes tasted so different back then that she really didn't get the "Little House" experience.

Tomatoes are a fruit, so I don't know why it sounds so unappealing to me to serve them the same way you'd serve strawberries or raspberries.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:05 AM

6,972 posts, read 4,827,158 times
I hated tomatoes all my life and then I tasted a home grown one. Wow! I never knew they could taste like that. So now tomatoes go on my list of things never to buy at the supermarket, along with strawberries, watermelon, corn, and blueberries.

The only exception I made was when Winco, of all places, got in a cherry tomato called Reserve Estate, I think. Or maybe it was Estate Reserve. Something like that. They looked almost like a chocolate cherry tomato and boy, were they good. So naturally, I went back for more, but I guess no one else was buying them and they all went moldy and were thrown out. *pouts*

Old 06-10-2016, 07:23 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,199,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I like Campari tomatoes the best out of anything the grocery stores carry, and around here they sell for $1.99 lb. Nothing will ever beat farm fresh from NJ though.

I thought this was an interesting read:

The Search For Tastier Supermarket Tomatoes: A Tale In 3 Acts : The Salt : NPR

The Campari tomatoes are my favorite also. Occasionally I will find an Ugly tomato that is tasty but nothing beats the taste of a tomato grown in your own yard or patio.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
A few years back my grocery was stocking something called Ugly tomatoes and it was offseason. They were ugly but they were delicious. Never saw them again. Apparently there is some tomato Mount Olympus that decided if a tomato doesn't look a certain way it cannot be exported. So unless you live in Florida you cannot find them. Oh well. At least I was able to try them once. Ridiculous!

I live in Florida and we have Ugly tomatoes here. They are something like $3.99 a pound! Try the Campari tomatoes.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
It's so easy to grow your own! You don't need a "garden". Just use containers, out on the patio. No muss, no fuss. Just as easy as growing flowers, only better-tasting!

I live in Florida - a friend lives in New Jersey. She sent me some heirloom tomatoes to grow on my very small lanai. However when she found out my lanai was screened in she told me I couldn't grow tomatoes in there because they couldn't get pollinated. Anybody know if this is correct?

Old 06-10-2016, 07:33 AM

10,322 posts, read 7,905,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I live in Florida - a friend lives in New Jersey. She sent me some heirloom tomatoes to grow on my very small lanai. However when she found out my lanai was screened in she told me I couldn't grow tomatoes in there because they couldn't get pollinated. Anybody know if this is correct?
It's not correct. Tomatoes are self-pollinators, and mostly the wind does the job, not the bees. Shake the plants gently every now and then so the flowers will be pollinated and they'll set fruit.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:47 PM

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink