Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 10:39 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

To the other poster who said they came out oily, I'll bet the oil isn't hot enough or you didn't use paper towels between EACH tortilla.
I don't think it was a technique error, the lady I learned from was a very traditional cook from Mexico and she taught me all kinds of stuff, how to make flour tortillas, barbacoa, pozole (with the whole pig's head), menudo, tamales, beans, rice, etc. Her enchiladas were good but they were more oily than I prefer.

Another friend from Guatemala showed me how to make her enchiladas and she was using the wet paper towels and microwave rather than frying them in oil. It might be because she had 7 kids to cook for so she looked for faster ways to do things, but it works and it's not oily.

I've never heard of frying flour tortillas before eating them, do you mean just heating them on the comal or do you mean cooking them in oil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 10:43 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Microwaving between wet paper towels isn't traditional, but it works great and beats hot oil mess.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:53 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
Just don't use flour tortillas.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:56 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Just don't use flour tortillas.
Flour tortillas & sauce=glue. The only enchiladas made with flour tortillas are bad enchiladas!

Old 06-22-2016, 12:10 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
I season the meat. For beef enchiladas, rubbed sage is excellent.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:36 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
We are fortunate to have very good Mexican or Tex Mex food available here in San Antonio. My favorites I've learned to make pretty well at home. I have better examples of plated dishes from local restaurants but this is one example. Enchiladas aren't made in casserole form in our restaurants. Chicken enchiladas are referred to as green enchiladas generally.

I prefer cheese enchiladas with a chili sauce on top.

Last edited by SATX56; 06-22-2016 at 12:44 AM..

Old 06-22-2016, 04:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
I have tried to make them on my own but I never can get them to taste like how they do in a Mexican food place. I hardly ever go out to eat so Id like to make some. The ones I have made at home just don't taste the same and also when you cut into them it's not the same. Mine have a bad habit of fallin apart.

Any body have a good recipe theyd share with me? Thanks!
I am with you on this one for sure. Mine too are inclined to fall apart and I think I have tried everything and every suggestion I have heard. I will say, I have a couple of recipes for ones I fix at home I love, but they still are not the same as in a Mexican restaurant. I think, no matter how many years we cook or how much we love our kitchen, there will always be some things we will never get completely right. for me, it might be enchiladas. That is why, I pretty much stick to what I can get in a restaurant.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:22 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
I make my own enchilada sauce in my Vitamix, using the Vitamix recipe. I fry corn tortillas got just a few seconds on each side in a little oil, as others have mentioned. They turn out very much like restaurant enchiladas, even better than some.

My suggestions:

Don't use flour tortillas.
Don't use the microwave.
Make your own enchilada sauce from fresh ingredients.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:18 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Your frying them too long. 1/4 inch of very hot oil, 2 minutes on each side. Lay them flat, separated by a sheet of paper towel.

Here's a youtube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys7XsRcCNOs

You do need to roll them shortly after frying. It's not really a do ahead kind if thing.

To the other poster who said they came out oily, I'll bet the oil isn't hot enough or you didn't use paper towels between EACH tortilla.
Yea, they gotta sizzle and pop when you drop them in the oil.

There's a saying in Spanish that if your beans aren't "screaming" when they hit the hot oil/grease, they won't come out good. This is for retried beans, but good for anything else in the Mexican kitchen!

Old 06-22-2016, 06:58 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Lightbulb 2 Sauces I picked up from an older Mexican lady

Ancho chili sauce
My "go to" sauce! I make it in large batches and freeze what I don't use in quart zip lock bags for later use.

This easy to prepare red chili sauce is similar to chili con carne
with the exception that no meat is used.* It can be used for topping
enchiladas, burritos, and also is the sauce used for making
Carnitas.* This recipe will yield 2 cups.

Ingredients:
3 ancho chili pods (dried)
4 cups boiling water
1/2 stick margarine
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup yellow onions, diced 1/4 “
1/4 cup green bell peppers, diced 1/4”
1 tbl. fresh garlic
1 tbl. salt
1 tbl. coarse ground black pepper
8 oz. tomato sauce
2 tbl. ground cumin (comino)
2 tbl. Gebhardt chili powder
Directions:
Remove the stems and seeds from the dried ancho
chili pods and roast under the broiler element for
10 seconds, turn over and roast for another 10 seconds.
Place into the boiling water, remove from the heat and cover.
Let ‘steep’ for at least 30 minutes, 1 hour if possible.
In a medium saucepan, add the margarine and when
melted add the diced onions and bell peppers.* Cook until tender,
about 8 minutes.* Add the fresh garlic and the flour and stir to
mix well.* Cook for 5 minutes and stir to cook the ‘roux’.
Add the tomato sauce, the spices and the broth from the
ancho* chili pods.* Stir to mix well and cook for 30 minutes
on medium low heat stirring often.* For a stronger tasting
sauce,* scrape the ‘meat’ from the ancho skin with a knife
and add to the sauce.* Taste and adjust the salt for taste.
OR

MANCHAMANTEL SAUCE
Literally, manchamantel means "tablecloth stainer". This sauce, with its red chile, is likely to stain a few palates along the way! It is a classic fruit-and-chile sauce from Central Mexico that goes wonderfully well with pork and shrimp dishes.
Its natural sweetness, hotness, form and texture is akin to an old-style Cantonese sweet-and-sour sauce.
While this recipe contains bananas and pineapple, other combinations of ripe fruit such as apples and peaches can also be used. IF YOU CANNOT GET CANELA, which is the form of cinnamon commonly used in Mexico, ordinary cinnamon can be substituted, but cut the amount in half.

1/2 cup whole dried ancho chiles
2 quarts water
1/2 pound Roma tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, roasted and peeled
1-3/4 cups fresh pineapple, diced
1/2 pound ripe bananas
1 large green apple, peeled, cored and chopped
3 tablespoons canela (or 1-1/2 tablespoons cinnamon)
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
Pinch of ground clove
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon piloncillo or brown sugar
3 tablespoon peanut oil or lard

Remove stems and seeds from chiles. With a comal or black iron skillet, roast chiles for 5 minutes. Shake once or twice and do not allow to blacken. Add to the water in a covered pan and simmer on very low heat for 30 minutes to rehydrate. Place chiles, tomatoes and remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor and purée. If necessary, add a little of the soaking liquid. Taste the chile water first; if it is not bitter, use it, otherwise add plain water.
Add oil or lard to a high-sided pan and heat until almost smoking. Refry sauce at a sizzle for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes