U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 03:10 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,480,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Nobody gives a leap if you like it or not. But if you're going to talk about it, get your facts straight first.
Getting my facts straight as in the recipe is based on the sauce used in "macaronia me kima", which, wonder of all wonders, is commonly referred to as "Greek bolognese sauce". That kind of getting my facts straight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 03:23 PM

15,933 posts, read 8,854,734 times
I talked to my Dad this morning and mentioned Skyline Chili and how this thread had inspired me to look on-line for recipes. It's been many years since either of us has lived anywhere near Cincy, but he immediately said, "Ooh, can you send the recipe to me?" My guess is that he immediately headed for the grocery and has a big pot of it simmering right now!

Thinking back to my years in Ohio also inspired a craving for Graeter's Ice Cream. My husband and I frequently went there in the early years of our marriage. But my favorite of all ice creams was from a dairy outside of Yellow Springs called Young's. It was a weekend tradition for us to hike the gorge at John Bryan State Park and then reward ourselves with a trip over to Young's.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:45 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,774,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Because he said it was white, I thought maybe Spotted Dog, but that's a type of Irish soda bread. The pudding texture makes me think it was Spotted Dick.
Nope, not that, although that was a really good guess! Spotted dick is a dessert, typically served with custard, and not typically containing meat except for the suet.

The sausage I'm thinking about was a meaty suet (fat) sausage and served in slices about 3-4" in diameter and 1/4-1/2" thick. Definitely a sausage since it always came with a rind or casing. It was mainly savory and served for breakfast with fried eggs. Hmmm. Could be a regional Scottish Highlands food and not that common even in the UK.

I moved to SE Michigan about 14 years ago and encountered the term "coney" as in "coney restaurant" or "hot dog topped with chili." Not the same as a simple chili dog - there are regional variations and emotions can run high over which version is the best. (I'm not a fan, but it's sort of a thing around here.) Flint-style is dry with a Koegel brand sausage; Detroit style is "wet" and spicier.

Coney Island hot dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-01-2014, 04:51 PM

31,288 posts, read 57,507,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
But my favorite of all ice creams was from a dairy outside of Yellow Springs called Young's. It was a weekend tradition for us to hike the gorge at John Bryan State Park and then reward ourselves with a trip over to Young's.
I went there a lot ... way too much! ... when my college roommate lived in Xenia and I lived in Lebanon. To die for.

I can get Graeter's ice cream at Whole Foods now; only a few flavors, but my craving for black raspberry chip is now easily soothed.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:53 PM

15,933 posts, read 8,854,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Nope, not that, although that was a really good guess! Spotted dick is a dessert, typically served with custard, and not typically containing meat except for the suet.
Then you've got me. I have no idea.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:55 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,250,521 times
Quote:

The sausage I'm thinking about was a meaty suet (fat) sausage and served in slices about 3-4" in diameter and 1/4-1/2" thick. Definitely a sausage since it always came with a rind or casing. It was mainly savory and served for breakfast with fried eggs. Hmmm. Could be a regional Scottish Highlands food and not that common even in the UK.
Maybe white pudding then? White pudding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-01-2014, 05:05 PM

22,845 posts, read 21,907,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Breakfasts--in the cold north you eat hot and hearty breakfasts, sometimes bacon and eggs, sometimes pancakes and waffles with real maple syrup.

For cereals, besides cornmeal with butter and milk, and oatmeal with brown sugar, we would have shredded wheat served HOT. You pour hot water over the shredded wheat in a strainer to soften and warm it and then you add warm milk, butter, and sugar. OMG-good!
OMG is right! My dad used to make that for me when I was little.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Ding ding ding, we have a winner! Yes!
I was googling "white sausage" and related terms and getting nada.
That is it. Thank you!
I am sure I'm not hallucinating the raisins or sultanas, although I don't see those listed as an ingredient. I distinctly remember the taste of the almost-burned raisins on the surface of the pudding/sausage and how some kids picked them out before eating the rest.
It may have been one of those institutional foods forced upon UK boarding school kids in the late 1960 and early '70s that nobody wants to acknowledge any more LOL. But I liked the stuff!

Old 03-01-2014, 05:12 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,250,521 times
Quote:
Ding ding ding, we have a winner! Yes!
I was googling "white sausage" and related terms and getting nada.
That is it. Thank you!
I am sure I'm not hallucinating the raisins or sultanas, although I don't see those listed as an ingredient. I distinctly remember the taste of the almost-burned raisins on the surface of the pudding/sausage and how some kids picked them out before eating the rest.
It may have been one of those institutional foods forced upon UK boarding school kids in the late 1960 and early '70s that nobody wants to acknowledge any more LOL. But I liked the stuff!
Maybe it was a very regional variation that had the raisins in.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Maybe it was a very regional variation that had the raisins in.
Might be. I now remember it being available at the local chippie, doused in vinegar and salt, and the taste of the crunchy rinds/casings and toasted raisins. I'm having food flashbacks, ha.

Thanks Natsku!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink