Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 04:59 PM

136 posts, read 210,976 times

Advertisements

Is banana cake (not banana bread) a regional thing? It was my favorite growing up near Chicago - it was the flavor of my wedding cake! The frosting was always bitterness, never chocolate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 05:02 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoColts View Post
Is banana cake (not banana bread) a regional thing? It was my favorite growing up near Chicago - it was the flavor of my wedding cake! The frosting was always bitterness, never chocolate.
I had to Google that one. Looks absolutely delicious!

Old 03-01-2014, 05:55 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,144 times
We have scrapple here, but the grey block I've seen in the stores never appealed to me. I had to try it out of curiosity wne a friend ordered it at a diner. Not bad.

The jars of chow-chow (pickled vegetables) that I see in the grocery stores? Nope.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:33 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
We have scrapple here, but the grey block I've seen in the stores never appealed to me. I had to try it out of curiosity wne a friend ordered it at a diner. Not bad.

The jars of chow-chow (pickled vegetables) that I see in the grocery stores? Nope.
Funny coincidence, my kids just pulled up Dirty Jobs on Netflix and the episode they chose was "Scapple Maker."

Old 03-01-2014, 07:27 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
I've never had scrapple, but I did grow up eating goetta. I know people make it, but that's never seemed appealing to me. I'll just wait until I visit the folks.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:57 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've never had scrapple, but I did grow up eating goetta. I know people make it, but that's never seemed appealing to me. I'll just wait until I visit the folks.
The roommate LOVES that stuff. Keeps threatening to make it

Old 03-01-2014, 09:21 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
A southerner made grits for me one time and put butter on them--it was the same thing that we used to eat for breakfast sometimes in New England. Just cornmeal. But we would put butter and milk on it and eat it in a bowl like cereal. It could be a Vermont tradition--family came from there.
Do you eat the cornmeal with butter and milk and SUGAR? A southerner would never put sugar on grits. They are served with salt and pepper and butter - and often cheese. BUT NO SUGAR.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
OK here in east Texas we have all the culinary joys of Tex Mex foods.

One of my favorites are tacos from the local taquerias. Now, they are NEVER served on a crispy taco shell. They are served on hot, freshly made, smallish corn tacos (flat and soft), with barbacoa beef (the inside of the cow's mouth - very tender tiny strips of beef), cilantro, and shredded cabbage. Sounds awful, I know, but DANG they are good!

http://www.tastyeatsathome.com/wordp...acoa-tacos.jpg

Served with a slice of lime on the side and a cold Modelo beer - OLE!

Old 03-01-2014, 09:38 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
To this day I don't know what grits are, they are American.

They sound disgusting.

Grits are not "disgusting". Either you have never had them or they were prepared badly.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:51 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times
The worst thing that I can think of from Brooklyn NY is fried Calamari.

It looks like fried onion rings. Don't be fooled. It's an octopus. Deep fried and served in rings. Sometimes you will get a tentacle or a bunch of little suction cups in your mouth.

They look like onion rings. But they aren't.

Sold and served all over NY and LI. Gross.

Also in NY/NJ among Jewish people (I'm Jewish so don't complain to me) gefilte fish. Served at Passover. It's like a tiny fishy loaf. I grew up with it and I can eat it. But it's not something to try after age nine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink