U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2014, 04:33 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,465,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
The worst thing that I can think of from Brooklyn NY is fried Calamari.

It looks like fried onion rings. Don't be fooled. It's an octopus. Deep fried and served in rings. Sometimes you will get a tentacle or a bunch of little suction cups in your mouth.

They look like onion rings. But they aren't.

Sold and served all over NY and LI. Gross.

Also in NY/NJ among Jewish people (I'm Jewish so don't complain to me) gefilte fish. Served at Passover. It's like a tiny fishy loaf. I grew up with it and I can eat it. But it's not something to try after age nine.
Fried calamari (squid, not octopus) is pretty much everywhere, certainly not a regional food although there may be regional calamari recipes. A lot of places don't do a great job cooking it and turn it into rubber bands, but when it's done right, it's delicious. And fwiw, grilled octopus is great too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 05:05 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,449,487 times
Quote:

It looks like fried onion rings. Don't be fooled. It's an octopus. Deep fried and served in rings. Sometimes you will get a tentacle or a bunch of little suction cups in your mouth.

Also in NY/NJ among Jewish people (I'm Jewish so don't complain to me) gefilte fish. Served at Passover. It's like a tiny fishy loaf. I grew up with it and I can eat it. But it's not something to try after age nine.

I've eaten this everywhere, even catch it myself in the spring in R.I. , definitely not regional, and definitely squid.

Weirdest stuff to me anyway is Pennsylvania scrapple, and r.I. Coffee milk. I was in the midwest in missouri a long time ago and several places were big on serving a fried bologna sandwich...really??

Old 03-02-2014, 05:22 AM

5,463 posts, read 4,581,673 times
How about shoo-fly pie? I've only been able to get it in Pennsylvania dutch country.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:17 AM

31,178 posts, read 57,317,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Do you eat the cornmeal with butter and milk and SUGAR? A southerner would never put sugar on grits. They are served with salt and pepper and butter - and often cheese. BUT NO SUGAR.
Cornmeal and grits are not the same thing, and, as you've just discovered, regional customs vary.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:38 AM

35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times
One thing that thus far in my decades I have seen to be a truly regional variant is a specialty of a particular group of Italians that settled in what was originally a mineral mining community near where I grew up in the Midwest. They brought with them many Italian and Italian American dishes one would presume to be standard, but also the inaccurately monikered "Ravs and Broth," which currently persists and can be ordered at any of the family-owned Italian restaurants in town. It's not anything I've ever seen or would expect to see in Italian restaurants elsewhere. I don't know if it is a dish that came with them or if it was developed locally, but I've only encountered it locally. Everyone's mom makes it, everyone in the community grew up with it, and people who move away miss it being available at restaurants.

It's nothing fancy, it's simply tortellini and a mirepoix simmered in a lightly seasoned chicken broth. Essentially, a homey chicken noodle soup made with tortellini vs. egg noodles. The weird thing is that literally EVERYplace calls it "ravs and broth," and I have never even once known it to contain ravioli...it is ALWAYS tortellini. Still, always referred to as "ravs and broth." "Hey, what do you put in your ravs and broth?" "Oh, I go heavy on the celery and usually use cheese tortelllini and lots of black pepper, how about you?" Seriously, a dish everyone calls "ravs, " but that everyone acknowledges is made with tortellini, never ravioli. Bizarre.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:37 AM

313 posts, read 617,797 times
Quote:

I grew up in CA and calamari was quite common (and delicious ). My favorite was a common breakfast you'll find on the central coast: calamari and eggs. Yum. Breaded calamari steak served with tartar sauce.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:42 AM

313 posts, read 617,797 times
Quote:
Do you eat the cornmeal with butter and milk and SUGAR? A southerner would never put sugar on grits. They are served with salt and pepper and butter - and often cheese. BUT NO SUGAR.

I'm not a southerner and I have only eaten grits a couple of times. Since I'm not a southerner, I can say without shame that my favorite way to eat grits is with maple syrup on them! Grits are like a cereal to me, and I like my cereals sweet.

Hmmm...I bet they would be good with brown sugar too...

Again, not a southerner, so "tsk tsk" me all you want

Old 03-02-2014, 12:49 PM

16,744 posts, read 20,511,200 times
Quote:
OK here in east Texas we have all the culinary joys of Tex Mex foods.

One of my favorites are tacos from the local taquerias. Now, they are NEVER served on a crispy taco shell. They are served on hot, freshly made, smallish corn tacos (flat and soft), with barbacoa beef (the inside of the cow's mouth - very tender tiny strips of beef), cilantro, and shredded cabbage. Sounds awful, I know, but DANG they are good!

http://www.tastyeatsathome.com/wordp...acoa-tacos.jpg

Served with a slice of lime on the side and a cold Modelo beer - OLE!
LOL! I actually did a search of this thread for the word "cheeks," as in beef cheeks aka barbacoa! I wondered if anyone else posted this.

Well, if you didn't grow up eating beef cheeks, let me tell you from someone who didn't - YUCK! Slimy weirdness! I just tried cooking some, as I'd heard it was good... nasty consistency. Couldn't do it.

My dog, however, loved them. LOL!

Old 03-02-2014, 01:05 PM

9,196 posts, read 22,894,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Cornmeal and grits are not the same thing, and, as you've just discovered, regional customs vary.
Actually, I was just watching Create on PBS and the show I was watching said they were. Well, Polenta and Grits. The only difference was in how the corn was processed and maybe the variety of corn used.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:07 PM

9,196 posts, read 22,894,414 times
I just thought of another one for Texas, but a Mexican food that's especially popular on Sundays....Menudo! I tried it once and liked it, but that's the only time and I haven't had it again. Just the thought of cow brains (shudder). Oh, and Alligator and wild hog. Because they are so rampant in Texas right now, people are making tons of things with wild hog now! It's delicious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink