Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 10:58 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,270,994 times

Advertisements

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 11:59 AM

29,661 posts, read 34,173,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, you do. I think they are delicious, but some people are adamant that they are an acquired taste.
I think they're definitely an acquired taste. I've tried boiled peanuts several times on my trips to the South, and just reading about them here is turning my stomach.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:10 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,413,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think they're definitely an acquired taste. I've tried boiled peanuts several times on my trips to the South, and just reading about them here is turning my stomach.
$100

Well, to each his own! I'd give $1000 to have a boiled peanut stand somewhere near my house!

Old 03-14-2014, 01:18 PM

69 posts, read 206,232 times
Love this thread !!! It is very interesting....

Boiled peanuts is a famous beach-side snack in the Southern part of India.

The cooking procedure is same as KathrynAragon mentioned. The variation is that, along with the boiled de-shelled peanuts, very finely chopped red onion, tomato, raw/green mangoes, and grated carrot is added. It is served in paper-cones.

This is how it looks Shobana's Cooking Journal!: Boiled Masala Peanuts. Even corn kernals is cooked in similar way, and eaten as snack.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:12 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,672,348 times
Here in San Antonio we love a fresh fruit cup with chile powder and lime. Delicioso! I even put chile powder seasoning on my theatre popcorn.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:25 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,788,444 times
Quote:
...I'd give $1000 to have a boiled peanut stand somewhere near my house!
A crock pot and some raw peanuts (in the shell) and you'll have a boiled peanut stand in your house . I cook them quite often because the family loves them (and I'm in Dixie).

Old 03-14-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
A crock pot and some raw peanuts (in the shell) and you'll have a boiled peanut stand in your house . I cook them quite often because the family loves them (and I'm in Dixie).
I really need to errrrrrr, GIT CRACKIN' on this!

Old 03-14-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
Here in San Antonio we love a fresh fruit cup with chile powder and lime. Delicioso! I even put chile powder seasoning on my theatre popcorn.
Mango with chile powder! YEEHAW!

Old 03-14-2014, 08:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,347,178 times
Quote:
Not sure how regional this is so I'd love to hear from anyone else who's familiar with this.

At just about any outdoor event, from sporting events to flea markets, we have food trucks that specialize in roasted corn. It's so delicious! It's roasted over an open flame, and then when you order one, they pull back the husk, dip it in melted butter, and then you have a wide selection of what you'd like to put on it - from parmesan cheese to jalepenos, chili powder, Tony Chachere's cajun seasoning, mayonnaise, lemon pepper, sea salt, Lawry's seasoned salt, BBQ flavoring, curry, just about anything you can think of.

YUM. My favorite combo is parmesan cheese and Tony's, with a sprinkling of chili powder. And by the way, you would be surprised to find how good it is with a squirt of mayo on it (spread around) but I don't do that often because my gosh, it's already been dipped in butter...
Elote, popular with Mexican street vendors where I live, except the toppings aren't as varied. Just roasted corn, butter, mayo, cotija cheese (similar to grated parmesan), a squirt of lime juice, and cayenne. Good street food.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:01 PM

23,905 posts, read 32,221,693 times
Quote:
Oh, oh, oh, I thought of another one that's common in Gulf Coast states - BOILED PEANUTS!

I LOVE boiled peanuts - if they're freshly boiled, steaming hot, served up in a lunch sized paper bag. YUM. So salty and juicy and delicious!

I LOVE those! LOVE! I had them first in South Carolina about 15 years ago. Bought them on the side of the road outside of Myrtle Beach. I ate a whole bag of the spicy ones and went back later that day for seconds.

Did they originate on the Gulf coast or are they just all over the South? I'm craving them right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink