U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 08:41 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,514,369 times

Advertisements

Fried Pickles from Charlotte at the Penguin. They were even on the Food Network recently. Good stuff, and I am a northern transplant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 09:11 AM

31,227 posts, read 57,405,335 times
Cincinnati has goetta: a mixture of sausage, beef, pinhead oats, and spices smushed into a patty.

Then there's Cincinnati chili, a soupy concoction that has cocoa, cinnamon and allspice in it. No whole tomatoes. Spaghetti on the bottom, chili in the middle, cheese goes next, with optional beans and/or onions on top.

Then you take the chili, pop it over top of a steamed hot dog in a bun, and voila, you have a coney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Here we have the Kentucky Hot brown..... turkeyand country ham on top of bread with bacon and tomatos covered in a cheese sauce and baked. Mmmmmmmmmmm heart attack in a dish!
Dangit ... Now I'm really hungry!!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 01:30 PM

3,200 posts, read 9,256,753 times
In Michigan we have Faygo, a type of cheap but addicting pop, and Vernor's... the best ginger-ale ever that will cure the build-up from post-dasal drip with just 2 tablespoons swalled slowly. I have occassionally seen Vernor's elsewhere.... it's good mixed with ice cream, instead of milk, to make a shake

Old 02-22-2008, 01:31 PM

3,200 posts, read 9,256,753 times
STLCardsBlues1989, I lived in St. Louis for awhile. I LOVE TOASTED Ravioli... I forgot about about it... and IMO's pizza!?!?

Old 02-22-2008, 02:17 PM

2,937 posts, read 2,917,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I'm not originally from Youngstown, and I don't like it (the pizza) much, but we have "Briar Hill" pizza: red sauce, a sprinkling of grated romano cheese and hot/sweet peppers.
Here in Northeast PA, we have "Old Forge Pizza," which is a square pizza made with a blend of cheeses that includes American cheese. Its the best pizza anywhere.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:46 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,514,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
In Michigan we have Faygo, a type of cheap but addicting pop, and Vernor's... the best ginger-ale ever that will cure the build-up from post-dasal drip with just 2 tablespoons swalled slowly. I have occassionally seen Vernor's elsewhere.... it's good mixed with ice cream, instead of milk, to make a shake
I lived in Detroit until I was 16 (I'm 34 now). I LOVED Faygo, especially the root beer and redpop. I remember the fat glass bottles which were 25 cents with the deposit. Some stores here carry it. A few stores also carry Vernor's around Charlotte and I have turned many people oto "Boston Coolers" (Vernor's/vanilla ice cream float). Unfortunately, Vernor's taste changed dramatically in 1991 when the FDA banned Stevia (an all natural sweetener which was used since its invention) and began using high fructose corn syrup. Hires root beer also used it.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:46 PM

3,704 posts, read 9,109,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Rocky Mountain oysters. I can only assume they taste like raw meat because they are the private parts of a bull.
They don't taste like raw meat but they are possibly the nastiest thing I ever ate before I knew what it was. They were fried. Everything taste good fried, right? Un-unh. I went with a large group to some little podunk place outside of Dallas that was supposed to be famous for BBQ. They brought out all these plates of appetizers and I had eaten 2 or 3 before I bothered to ask what they were (because they were weird). Once I knew I nearly gagged. Never again.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:56 PM

118 posts, read 466,739 times
And with the lefse there must be lutefisk. When I lived in New Mexico I had some delivered from Morey's in Motley, Mn. Expensive, but worth it.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:38 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,486,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
A local favorite in Baltimore is soft-shelled crab. Not to fond of it though.
I could never handle them either. My dad loves soft-shelled crab sandwiches. I think they look like a big spider sandwich.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:41 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,486,653 times
When we got to AZ, we had to hit some Mexican restaurants. I kept seeing Menudo on the menu and finally asked, since I thought it was just a Latino boy band from the 80's. Well, apparently it's just intestines and innerds stew. Yeah, think I'll pass.

Another thing I keep seeing around here is beer with clamato juice. I can't imagine what that's like.

But I had hot chili-chocolate. It was surprisingly good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink