Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:00 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times

Advertisements

I was reading a TexMex thread on the Texas forum...and it made me think of Mexican food, and thinking of Mexican made me think of New Mexico...and then I was reminded by one of the most Bizzare food i every tried...
What Dish or Treat really seems odd to you? from a certain place...like a little boutique place that makes little things...or a restaurant...A special dish or treat you haven't seen anywhere else...

Mine was...a Jalapeno lolly pop...it was soooooo good...I finished it real quick...and most people have to put it down...although I was running in Circles it was really really good...from New Mexico...a family member brought it to me when she went...

You experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 09:12 PM

409 posts, read 1,505,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
I was reading a TexMex thread on the Texas forum...and it made me think of Mexican food, and thinking of Mexican made me think of New Mexico...and then I was reminded by one of the most Bizzare food i every tried...
What Dish or Treat really seems odd to you? from a certain place...like a little boutique place that makes little things...or a restaurant...A special dish or treat you haven't seen anywhere else...

Mine was...a Jalapeno lolly pop...it was soooooo good...I finished it real quick...and most people have to put it down...although I was running in Circles it was really really good...from New Mexico...a family member brought it to me when she went...

You experiences?
The Tampa Bay area is known for its grouper sandwich. For those who don't know, a grouper is an enormous scary looking fish found in the Gulf of Mexico and probably other large bodies of water.

Also, I have only had deep fried Alligator tail down here as well. Tastes like touch chicken, seriously. I am sure you can find this all over Florida.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:17 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times
Grouper

i would try that alligator...sounds interesting...

Old 02-16-2008, 09:24 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post

You experiences?
How funny! I was going to start a similar thread.

I'm originally from Tampa, and not only do they eat grouper, but also mullet. In the Miami area they say mullet is only for bait. But in Tampa they smoke it, filet it, fry it, and man it's good.

In Jackson County, Tennessee, they eat something called a poke sallet. It's essentially a wild onion. I think it's disgusting. They even have a big festival for it.

In the mountains of East Tennessee some people take shavings of birch bark (yeah, from the trees), mix it with sugar and milk and eat it like ice cream. Supposedly it tastes like wintergreen, but I'm never going to find out.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:35 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
I'm not originally from Youngstown, and I don't like it (the pizza) much, but we have "Briar Hill" pizza: red sauce, a sprinkling of grated romano cheese and hot/sweet peppers.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:39 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I'm not originally from Youngstown, and I don't like it (the pizza) much, but we have "Briar Hill" pizza: red sauce, a sprinkling of grated romano cheese and hot/sweet peppers.
That sounds good!

Old 02-16-2008, 11:06 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
In New Mexico you can get almost anything with red or green chili in it or on it,such as peanut brittle,fudge,pistachios,jelly,wine,steaks,hamburg ers,and so on,you can also pick up some cactus candy or prickly pear cactus fruit,or lavender flavored cookies. Pinon(pine nuts) is another popular NM food,we even have pinon flavored coffee.

other NM foods are Posole and bizcochitos, these are usually christmas food here,

also Blue corn enchiladas,chile rellenos,carne adovada,sopapillas,fry bread,green chile stew,sweet rice,navajo tacos,

this is New Mexican food,not to be confused with mexican food, its our own type of food that I dont think too many people outside NM are familiar with.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:15 PM

409 posts, read 1,505,175 times
I am originally from Wisconsin and there you can get deep fried cheese curds that are so good. I cannot find them anywhere in the Tampa area and nobody here seems to have heard of cheese curds. They are also delicious to eat raw. The fresher they are, the more they squeek on your teeth when you bite them. For all you cheese lovers out there, they are a must have.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Rocky Mtn oysters (never tried 'em)!

Old 02-17-2008, 12:03 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
Trabbz - ah yes, cheese curds, they are pretty good (in small doses) and I do like the whole 'squeaky' aspect of the fresh ones. A local fast food dish here is something called the 'Italian Beef Sandwich', once you leave the area, nobody knows what it is (or, if they claim to, they do something weird to it) as I discovered when I went away to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink