Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 05:58 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times

Advertisements

A local favorite in Baltimore is soft-shelled crab. Not to fond of it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 06:16 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Here we have the Kentucky Hot brown..... turkeyand country ham on top of bread with bacon and tomatos covered in a cheese sauce and baked. Mmmmmmmmmmm heart attack in a dish!

Old 02-17-2008, 06:31 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
I am originally from Wisconsin and there you can get deep fried cheese curds that are so good. I cannot find them anywhere in the Tampa area and nobody here seems to have heard of cheese curds. They are also delicious to eat raw. The fresher they are, the more they squeek on your teeth when you bite them. For all you cheese lovers out there, they are a must have.

In Maine they have a side dish called Poutine that is french fries smothered with cheese curds and gravy. Originally from Quebec, it is all over the Northeast now.

I love the "Donair" which comes across the border from Canada as well.

In Michigan I love the Pastie from the UP.

Wisconsin also has the Kringle which I haven't found anyplace else.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:01 AM

189 posts, read 219,326 times
Iowa's specialty is loosemeat sandwiches.(As mentioned on Roseanne show since Tom Arnold is from Iowa)
Don't call em' sloppy joes! And no ketchup !
Sometimes with onions, cheese, mustard and other seasonings. After cooking the meat is usually stored in steam and magically the meat holds together when put on the bun.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:10 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
Here in western Montana a huge ammount of Deer, Elk, and Bison are eaten.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:35 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
In South Dakota, Native Americans have influence on local foods. Wastunkula (corn soup) and Wojapi (blackberry desert) are popular Sioux foods.

Bison and elk are also popular here.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:43 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
In Maine they have a side dish called Poutine that is french fries smothered with cheese curds and gravy. Originally from Quebec, it is all over the Northeast now.
I've seen Poutine served up a few times, and I can feel my arteries harden and my waist thicken just looking at the dish.

One thing that I notice that is a huge difference between the northeast and the midwest is that more lamb is consumed in the northeastern part of the US. Lamb was often eaten in my house (especially around the holidays) when I was a child and I remember hearing my mom and my grandmother complain that it wasn't as commonly found in the grocery stores since they had moved to the midwest. Now that I'm an adult, and I want to cook it for myself, I find that I have the same problem sometimes finding it when I want it.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:33 AM

409 posts, read 1,505,175 times
Wisconsinites also love there beer brats with sour kraut. I cannot stand sour kraut but I will take a beer brat any time of the day.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:36 AM

79 posts, read 204,953 times
New England: Fiddleheads, which are the shoots of ferns. They are actually very tasty when prepared the right way.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:38 AM

409 posts, read 1,505,175 times
Sorry I have one more from "up nort" in Wisconsin and probably Minnesota too. We used to have lefse quite a bit as a kid. Lefse is a norweigian thing. Its almost like a flatbread or tortilla. We used to eat it with just butter or cinnemon and sugar on it. That is also another thing that my fellow Floridians think us Wisconsinites are crazy for, all of our crazy food that nobody has ever heard of.

Lefse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink