Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 11:08 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,457,686 times

Advertisements

Yum Scrapple!!!

When I was at PSU, they opened a sandwich place called R U Hungry? They signature item was the fat b**ch, which contains: cheesesteak, chix fingers, mozz sicks, mayo and ketchup. It is honestly the best thing I have ever eaten, but feel too guilty health-wise to eat more than a bite or two.

Anyways I can't think of any especially weird food here in Hawaii, but one of the filipino items that I really dislike is blood meat stew. It is a lot like black pudding in England, I assume, but I can't stomach it (and I honestly can eat ANYTHING)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 11:08 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,413,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
Yum Scrapple!!!

When I was at PSU, they opened a sandwich place called R U Hungry? They signature item was the fat b**ch, which contains: cheesesteak, chix fingers, mozz sicks, mayo and ketchup. It is honestly the best thing I have ever eaten, but feel too guilty health-wise to eat more than a bite or two.

Anyways I can't think of any especially weird food here in Hawaii, but one of the filipino items that I really dislike is blood meat stew. It is a lot like black pudding in England, I assume, but I can't stomach it (and I honestly can eat ANYTHING)
How about poi? I don't think anyone else in the worlds eats that stuff. Spam musubi? I hear HI is the largest per-capita consumer of Spam in the world.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:59 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,118 times
Over in the UK forum there was a thread about food that discussed a west Scotland phenomenon called a Munchy Box. Note: click on the images for the full size version. You can almost smell it Make sure to enjoy the comments at the bottom of the page.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:14 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Over in the UK forum there was a thread about food that discussed a west Scotland phenomenon called a Munchy Box. Note: click on the images for the full size version. You can almost smell it Make sure to enjoy the comments at the bottom of the page.
OMG - !!!!

Can't speak!!!

Old 10-11-2008, 12:33 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,725,719 times
Australians put beets (beetroot) on hamburgers. And oftentimes a fried egg as well. And pineapple.

Many like beans on toast for a snack, lunch, or dinner - heat up a tin of baked beans, pour it on a couple pieces of toast - bon appetit.

Then there's Vegemite, a spread made from yeast extract. It's black and salty and we spread it on toast. My Canadian husband says it looks like axle grease. Yes, it does, but I doubt axle grease is as tasty or as good for you. Vegemite is high in B6.

The meat pie is very popular here and is not weird or strange, except in South Australia, where they turn it into a 'pie floater' - an upside-down meat pie floating in a dish of pea soup, with sauce (ketchup) on top. Some add mint sauce as well.

Then there's 'bush tucker' - food from the Outback, like witchetty grubs. They're the larvae of moths, eaten live and raw by Aborigines, but non-indigenous usually prefer them barbequed. I have had one, just out of curiosity, and to say I've eaten one, but don't plan on making them an essential part of my menu any time soon. Tasted a bit nutty, but it's the thought of them!

I do like roo though, and emu, crocodile, & snake. But roo's the only one readily available, in the meat section of our supermarkets. The other meats are harder to find.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:29 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,285,164 times
There are some in rural GA who eat "white dirt" or "white clay". It is actually kaolin. I have actually seen this on the counter at the convenience store near Parrot GA. It clearly states that it is "not suggested for human consumption", and is supposed to be more of a novelty type item. This is simply the manufacturers way of avoiding law suits, though. I would not want any!

Old 10-13-2008, 06:51 AM

524 posts, read 941,933 times
Default I love food!

I will eat anything! The stranger the food the more I want to try it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Eating live octopus.jpg
Views:	37055
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	28839 Whether it is live octopus

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9647.jpg
Views:	6187
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	28840 Or a big-honkin' American sized burger

Old 10-14-2008, 03:05 PM

310 posts, read 777,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Rocky Mtn oysters (never tried 'em)!
And they come in their own bag!

Old 10-14-2008, 03:16 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Scrapple - In Cincinnati, "southern Ohio" in general.

The wiki says: Scrapple is best known as a regional food of Delaware, South Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland.

But I saw this stuff when I was in Ohio too.

Scrapple is really a Philly/Central PA thing, but German immigrants that landed elsewhere brought it with them. Its more of a PA Dutch (German) breakfast food that is used like bacon, sausage, or ham with eggs.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:47 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Scrapple is really a Philly/Central PA thing, but German immigrants that landed elsewhere brought it with them. Its more of a PA Dutch (German) breakfast food that is used like bacon, sausage, or ham with eggs.
In the Washington DC region it is Rapa Scrapple (stands for Ralph and Paul Adams) from Bridgeville Delaware. From DC when traveling to Rehoboth Beach (http://www.rehoboth.com/findus.asp - broken link) in the summer, one encounters the Rapa plant in Bridgeville on Rt 404 on the way east. On the way home you see a large billboard when entering Bridgeville that says "If you lived here, you would be home now"

Scrapple is a wonderful food and does not belong in the "Weird food" category
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink