U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 08:13 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,572,448 times

Advertisements

I just ordered an IP from Amazon and it should be here today. Going to try and make short ribs, a dish I've made successfully in my crock pot several times. I figure trying something I'm familiar with first will be a good benchmark.

I'm slightly nervous about the whole pressure thing. I know everyone on this thread says it's pretty dummy proof, but I can be pretty dumb when it comes to things like how to use appliances....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 08:47 AM

10,635 posts, read 17,940,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post

I'm slightly nervous about the whole pressure thing. I know everyone on this thread says it's pretty dummy proof, but I can be pretty dumb when it comes to things like how to use appliances....
It has lots of safety features. You'll be okay. The first few times you open the valve, use tongs or another kitchen utensil with a long handle. Also, if you do a quick release, be aware that the liquid in the pot can come to a sudden boil right afterwards.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:28 AM

15,457 posts, read 11,505,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I made turkey wings! Got the idea from eating at a restaurant in SW Louisiana where that was a special of the day. We found some smallish turkey wings at Sprouts. I seasoned them with Cajun seasoning, browned them in the cast iron (the Instant Pot doesn't get hot enough for me), then added onion, garlic and chicken broth to the pot and cooked them for just 15 minutes. While the pressure was dropping, I made a roux in the cast iron skillet (see there was a dual purpose!) and then added the broth from the pot and made a delicious gravy. This is a dish I never would have thought to make at all without the Instant Pot.
I actually have a recipe for IP wings. I was not really happy with the outcome, but the wings did taste good. I cooked them in the IP, and then had DH grill them with BBQ sauce on the gas grill. He had a hard time of it; the wings stuck to the grill. The wings were literally fall off the bone tender though, and I admit they tasted great.

In future, I will stick to my old method, which includes a broiler and hot sauce. I like them better that way.

However, I intend to try cooking a whole chicken in the IP fairly soon. And I think thighs would turn out great in the IP.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:41 AM
Status: "The list doesnt destroy culture; it creates it" (set 12 days ago)

17,133 posts, read 8,904,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I just ordered an IP from Amazon and it should be here today. Going to try and make short ribs, a dish I've made successfully in my crock pot several times. I figure trying something I'm familiar with first will be a good benchmark.

Do the water test first, it's in the instruction book. Walking through the steps of assembling it all and getting it to run really helped me feel far more comfortable using it.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It has lots of safety features. You'll be okay. The first few times you open the valve, use tongs or another kitchen utensil with a long handle. Also, if you do a quick release, be aware that the liquid in the pot can come to a sudden boil right afterwards.
I have not had this happen. But if your liquid is thick, I've read to shake the pot slightly before taking the lid off.

Don't make anything that is thickened. If you must thicken, do after the dish is finished and the pot is open.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:24 PM

3,353 posts, read 1,298,522 times
Anyone know how this happened...
I used to make a baked chicken dish using only breasts and golden mushroom soup. I put the same ingredients in the IP but the soup got so thin that I dumped it out. I thought it would be more like a gravy, not as thick as baking but definitely not the watery mess. The chicken was not frozen.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I used to make a baked chicken dish using only breasts and golden mushroom soup. I put the same ingredients in the IP but the soup got so thin that I dumped it out. I thought it would be more like a gravy, not as thick as baking but definitely not the watery mess. The chicken was not frozen.
If a dish is normally baked using dry heat in an oven, I am not sure how you could expect it to be the same in a pressure cooker, which is what the IP is.

I've been reading not to use thickened liquids in the pot, for safety reasons.

Do an online search for a similar recipe and use that; that's my advice. I've noticed that slow cooker recipes seem to be adaptable to the IP.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:50 PM

10,635 posts, read 17,940,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Nothing evaporates in the pressure cooker, so any liquid that the chicken released as it was cooking would be added to the soup, making it thinner.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:36 AM

13,787 posts, read 16,615,628 times
I made this last night in the IP. Easy and delicious. I added some Korean hot pepper powder 'cause we like spicy, and switched out the parsley for cilantro.

Honey Garlic Chicken (Instant Pot) | Easy Delicious Recipes

The sauce is thin, but could be thickened up easily.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:53 AM

3,639 posts, read 8,893,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I made this last night in the IP. Easy and delicious. I added some Korean hot pepper powder 'cause we like spicy, and switched out the parsley for cilantro.

Honey Garlic Chicken (Instant Pot) | Easy Delicious Recipes

The sauce is thin, but could be thickened up easily.
Thanks for the link. That looks like one my husband would like (especially with extra spice!).

I made risotto last night. Wow! Way easier than the stove top method. I added a pinch of truffle salt at the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or