U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 12:59 PM

2,132 posts, read 888,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Tonight I made a small pot roast in my Instant Pot I consulted three cookbooks, and gathered that the technique is to pressure cook the roast in liquid for 50 minutes, add the veggies, bring it back to pressure, and cook for 10 min. more. I did this, using quick release after both cook times.

I had delicious results! Great flavor. But the roast was not tender. It was not horribly tough, but it was definitely chewey, which is not the way pot roast is supposed to be.

Do any of you have any ideas about tough pot roast? Thank goodness it was not dry! I think dry and stringy is the worst! But I wonder if I should have used a meat mallet on the denser part of the roast? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Keep in mind that "regular" pressure cooker instructions will not work for the Instant Pot. It cooks at a much lower pressure than those books were written for, so you have to cook for longer in the IP than a regular pressure cooker.

If those were already IP recipes then they were just off for some reason. The actual weight and SHAPE of the roast makes a difference to the cook time. A thin flat roast will cook a lot faster than one that is more round or oval in shape, even if they weigh exactly the same. I don't know what it is, but every time I buy a hunk of corned beef these days, its a skinny flap of meat instead of a compact roast.

You just need to increase your cook time if the roast comes out tough. Natural or quick pressure release only matters in that you need to adjust your cooking time accordingly. I used to pressure cook roasts all the time in a real pressure cooker back in the day when they had a weight on top that jiggled. I ALWAYS did the old-timey version of quick-release, which involved running cold water over the top in the sink until I could wiggle the weight and not have any steam come out.

I don't do roasts anymore so I can't swear that will still work for the IP, but it worked for a real pressure cooker and I don't see why it wouldn't work with the IP. There's less pressure to release to start with anyway. The issue is to not end up overcooking the roast by using natural release with a longer cook time, and not to end up with an undercooked (tough) roast by not cooking for long enough when you want to use the quick release.

In any case your roast didn't cook for long enough so next time just increase the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 04:11 PM

3,587 posts, read 5,709,835 times
My big surprise.

18 months ago, because of this thread, I decided to buy an electric pressure cooker. Because I wanted a pot with a non-stick coating, I bought a Black & Decker rather than an Instant Pot.

My cooker recently started to act erratically, so I decided to buy another one. Because so many insist that it is the best, I ordered the very best, a genuine Instant Pot, model LUX60, from Amazon. I didn't want another failure. I decided that if I needed a non-stick pot, I could buy the one listed on Amazon for $19.99.

My new Instant-Pot arrived yesterday. On the box it said, “Designed In Canada, Manufactured in China.”

My big surprise: except for the shape of the plastic on the outside and the stainless steel vs. non-stick pot, the Instant Pot is exactly the same as my old Black & Decker. And I mean exactly. The control panels, the part numbers on the bottom of the pressure release levers and the electric plugs, the warning stickers and so on. The lids, the pots, and the release levers are interchangeable. Even the two white plastic spoons are exactly the same.

I wonder if this was actually designed in Canada, or did Instant Pot tell the Chinese manufacturer to make them a pressure cooker, just make sure it looks slightly different from the ones you make for everybody else.

At least I won't have to spend $19.99 for a non-stick pot, I can just use my old one. Other than that, I am surprised and disappointed. I do have to admit, the new included cookbook is better.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:42 PM

16,398 posts, read 26,072,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
My big surprise.

18 months ago, because of this thread, I decided to buy an electric pressure cooker. Because I wanted a pot with a non-stick coating, I bought a Black & Decker rather than an Instant Pot.

My cooker recently started to act erratically, so I decided to buy another one. Because so many insist that it is the best, I ordered the very best, a genuine Instant Pot, model LUX60, from Amazon. I didn't want another failure. I decided that if I needed a non-stick pot, I could buy the one listed on Amazon for $19.99.

My new Instant-Pot arrived yesterday. On the box it said, “Designed In Canada, Manufactured in China.”

My big surprise: except for the shape of the plastic on the outside and the stainless steel vs. non-stick pot, the Instant Pot is exactly the same as my old Black & Decker. And I mean exactly. The control panels, the part numbers on the bottom of the pressure release levers and the electric plugs, the warning stickers and so on. The lids, the pots, and the release levers are interchangeable. Even the two white plastic spoons are exactly the same.

I wonder if this was actually designed in Canada, or did Instant Pot tell the Chinese manufacturer to make them a pressure cooker, just make sure it looks slightly different from the ones you make for everybody else.

At least I won't have to spend $19.99 for a non-stick pot, I can just use my old one. Other than that, I am surprised and disappointed. I do have to admit, the new included cookbook is better.
Instant Pot was definitely designed in Canada. Ottawa, to be specific. (Kanata is a suburb of Ottawa.) The designer owns Instant Brands, Inc., which has factories in China.

https://ottawacitizen.com/business/l...f-your-kitchen

"[Robert] Wang, a former Nortel team leader, is the inventor of Instant Pot, a multifunctional pressure cooker that has ranked among the top-selling consumer goods on Amazon for three consecutive years.

His Kanata-based firm, Instant Brands Inc., now has four factories in China turning out the eighth generation of the kitchen appliance."

Old 02-26-2019, 10:39 PM

20,457 posts, read 13,426,341 times
I think you got one of the originals. There have been refinements and new models right along in the IP's history. I bought a Duo about a year and a half ago. Since then there has been one or two new 6 qts and some refinements to maybe one older model. But I believe the LUX was the original.

I imagine that IP simply manufactured the B & D model for B and D, after bringing out newer models.

I made sauerkraut, smoked sausage and potatoes in my 6 qt tonight. Last night I made beef stew. I love these pots!

Old 02-26-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Keep in mind that "regular" pressure cooker instructions will not work for the Instant Pot. It cooks at a much lower pressure than those books were written for, so you have to cook for longer in the IP than a regular pressure cooker.

If those were already IP recipes then they were just off for some reason. The actual weight and SHAPE of the roast makes a difference to the cook time. A thin flat roast will cook a lot faster than one that is more round or oval in shape, even if they weigh exactly the same. I don't know what it is, but every time I buy a hunk of corned beef these days, its a skinny flap of meat instead of a compact roast.

You just need to increase your cook time if the roast comes out tough. Natural or quick pressure release only matters in that you need to adjust your cooking time accordingly. I used to pressure cook roasts all the time in a real pressure cooker back in the day when they had a weight on top that jiggled. I ALWAYS did the old-timey version of quick-release, which involved running cold water over the top in the sink until I could wiggle the weight and not have any steam come out.

I don't do roasts anymore so I can't swear that will still work for the IP, but it worked for a real pressure cooker and I don't see why it wouldn't work with the IP. There's less pressure to release to start with anyway. The issue is to not end up overcooking the roast by using natural release with a longer cook time, and not to end up with an undercooked (tough) roast by not cooking for long enough when you want to use the quick release.

In any case your roast didn't cook for long enough so next time just increase the time.
I have made a pot roast and stew recently. The meat was fine. I seem to getting better all the time using my IP.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:11 PM

I am curious if those of you who posted earlier in this thread are still using your IP with the same enthusiasm?

What are you cooking these days in your IP?

Old 02-27-2019, 01:34 AM

3,587 posts, read 5,709,835 times
Quote:
I think you got one of the originals. There have been refinements and new models right along in the IP's history. I bought a Duo about a year and a half ago. Since then there has been one or two new 6 qts and some refinements to maybe one older model. But I believe the LUX was the original.

I imagine that IP simply manufactured the B & D model for B and D, after bringing out newer models.
Amazon shipped the Instant Pot to me on Friday of last week. I am sure it is one of the newest models, not one of the originals.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:53 AM

11,007 posts, read 19,670,534 times
Quote:
I am curious if those of you who posted earlier in this thread are still using your IP with the same enthusiasm?

I'm still cooking the same things, beef, pork tenderloin, mac and cheese, different kinds of soup.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:03 AM

3,760 posts, read 9,268,212 times
Quote:

Yes and so much so that I bought the 3 QT mini also. I love the smaller one to steam veggies and since I only make a 1/2 gallon of yogurt at a time, the mini does the trick as well.

Stews, roasts, bone in chicken, carnitas and chili have all been made recently. My sister bought me these InstantPot starters from Williams Sonoma for Christmas. I already made the Tuscan lentil soup and there is an Italian rice and quinoa mix and a lemon risotto waiting as well. I'd make risotto more often but hubs doesn't like it.

One of my favorite things to do is cook a russet potato for about 30 minutes (plus natural release) and refrigerate it. The next day I grate it up for hash browns. Making hash browns from raw potatoes is messy and difficult, but with the par cooked potato, it's a breeze!

I can't imagine NOT having one now that I'm used to it.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:19 AM

70,564 posts, read 81,602,667 times
Quote:

Yes and I use my air fryer a couple times a week. Last night I made beans in the pressure cooker: 50 mintes from basic dry pinto beans to wonderful bar b cued beans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or