U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 06:49 PM

42,099 posts, read 49,310,172 times

Advertisements

We got a different pressure cooker than the Instant Pot (bc it got better reliability reviews).
Can we use the Instant Pot recipes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 07:08 PM

16,184 posts, read 25,191,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I would never say anything is impossible.

It's sooo nice to have dried to cooked beans in 30 minutes!!

I've forgotten that it's using pressure to cook and went to open the lid and it was locked. Saved me from myself!!

I didn't like the 50-50 I May Die odds using the old style pressure cookers, and I LOVE this!!!
Hahahaha! Leave it to me...

LOVE is a big word. I'm at 99.97% now.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:39 PM

185 posts, read 314,268 times
Is the 5 quart too big for 2 people ? Maybe get some leftovers, eh ?

Old 02-28-2017, 02:43 PM

16,184 posts, read 25,191,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidgirl View Post
Is the 5 quart too big for 2 people ? Maybe get some leftovers, eh ?
"Go big or go home" as they say in Texas. (I live in Montreal. Whatever.) I'm getting the 6-quart for ONE person. I *love* leftovers.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:51 PM
Status: "one of the wettest from the standpoint of water" (set 2 days ago)

18,673 posts, read 9,760,098 times
I have a 6 quart, but I batch cook and freeze extra portions of most things I cook in it. And you can cook a small amount in it if that's all you want to cook, not like a crock pot where it needs to be 1/2 to 3/4 full to work right. For most recipes, you don't even need to adjust the cooking time because the adjustment comes in how long it takes the IP to come to pressure and when you cook a smaller amount, it heats up and gets to pressure more quickly so less overall cooking time.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:09 PM

10,928 posts, read 5,631,520 times
I grew up using a pressure cooker on the boat in the days of alcohol stoves. Pretty much any cruising yacht had one. It conserved fuel. The boat didn't heat up as much in the summer. It dramatically shortened cooking time.

More recently, I got pretty good with them cooking at high altitude ski resorts. With the lower boiling temperature, a lot of things won't cook at all without using one.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:24 AM

835 posts, read 468,346 times
Default Thinking of buying an Instant Pot

I'm always looking for ways to make decent meals at home during the week that can be on the table 30-45 minutes after I get home from work. I already use a slow cooker pretty often, at least once per week but usually twice. I generally prepare meals that we can eat for two nights.

For those that have an Instant Pot or similar electric pressure cooker, here are a few questions:

*Do you find it is more useful than a slow cooker?

*What meals do you like preparing in it that can be on the table within an hour?

*What advantages does it have over a slow cooker?

*What complete meal can I make in it quickly that cannot be made in a slow cooker?

*Do you find cooking times similar enough that I could do something like put chicken breasts in the bottom, and quartered potatoes and some sort of vegetable above in a steamer basket without completely overcooking the veggies?

What I'm afraid of is that I'll buy the Instant Pot but just end up making recipes I already make in the slow cooker and nothing else.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:56 AM

10,811 posts, read 18,589,281 times
I just bought a Power Pressure Cooker XL a month ago. It's similar to the Instant Pot but it was cheaper and in stock locally when I wanted it.

When you read cook time for pressure cooker recipes, the times seem incredibly short, but there's some time required for the machine to come to pressure, and then when it's done, some recipes require you to wait for the pressure to release on its own, rather than turning the valve. The time required for the machine to come to pressure varies depending on what you're cooking.

These are the things I've been cooking:

Boneless beef ribs, 1 hour cook time
Pinto beans, 1 hour cook time
Hard boiled eggs, 6 min cook time (plus time to come to pressure and 6 min natural release)
Spaghetti with meat, about 30 min total
Macaroni and cheese, about 30 min total
Shredded chicken taco meat, about 30 min
Pot roast, 1 hour

You can cook rice in it but I haven't yet, because I like the way it comes out on the stove.

The advantage over the slow cooker is texture. You can get meat fork-tender without it ending up stringy and gray like it usually does in the slow cooker. You can also cook chicken from frozen but I haven't tried that yet. I'm planning to cook a turkey breast tomorrow or the next day...I bought an 8 quart machine so I'm sure the turkey breast will fit.

If you look at This Old Gal's website, there are lots of really tasty pressure cooker recipes. I find myself looking there pretty often when I need an idea.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:56 AM
Status: "one of the wettest from the standpoint of water" (set 2 days ago)

18,673 posts, read 9,760,098 times
existing thread
http://www.city-data.com/forum/food-...re-cooker.html

Old 03-29-2017, 01:42 PM

5,101 posts, read 12,600,424 times
Unless I'm doing a turkey dinner, or some other "feast", I can get dinner cooked in 30-40 mins....nightly! Even without a slow-cooker or pressure cooker!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or