Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 06:39 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,672,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
have to agree with this. We have the copper bottom version and its a very sturdy set!! My parents got theirs in 1984 and its STILL going strong! We got ours in 2007 and its still going strong!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've got a Revere Ware Dutch oven and smaller saucepan that were my grandma's, I def prefer them to nonstick.

I have the copper bottom set... I know, aren't they great? Y'know, I have wanted a smaller fry pan too, which appeared to be unavailable now. Any ideas where I might look for them again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 08:26 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,509,430 times
I also have two items.

My cast iron frying pan(s) and my crack pot. (That's what I call ye olde crock pot/slow cooker).

Old 07-10-2016, 08:55 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
I use all kinds of pots and pans and can't pin down just one. 4 years ago my husband bought me an 11 piece Calphalon set for Christmas. The pans I use the most are the small skillet for cooking eggs, the deep medium sized pan with lid and 3 qt pan with lid.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:29 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
I have an addiction to Pyrex and also covered dishes which go hand-in-hand. I'd have to say my small pyrex baking dish, since it's the two of us.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:43 AM

215 posts, read 370,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Cutie View Post
The pan I could not live without is my cast iron skillet. It is over 100 years old - I am the 4th generation in my family to use it (my Mom finally let me have it last fall - she has so many, it was only fair).

It never goes in the dishwasher, but it is in use almost daily. On the burner and in the oven. Some of my fish recipes go from burner to oven and back again.

I have other cookware that is "sexier" - some fabulous copper, for example, in lots of shapes in sizes. But my cast iron skillet is my best friend in the kitchen. I absolutely love it.
Agree with this. Cast iron is the best. But....
I've always used my cast iron pan daily, but for the last couple of years, my carbon steel pan has been taking its place. They are both pretty much the same, but the CS pan has sloped sides, so better for some foods.
I love my cast iron pan, but I am really loving my carbon steel pan too. So if I had to say which I used more right now, it's my carbon steel.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:53 AM

129 posts, read 78,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
post a picture of this 100 yr old skillet id love to see it

I like family heirlooms like that- that are used often

whats your favorite meal that's cooked in that pan??? do you have a family favorite?

Okay, so I'm not the best photographer ...

Here's my cast iron skillet. My Great-Grandmother already had it when my Grandfather was born in 1913.

The sides are extra tall, so to speak. And it is hecka heavy.

As for a "family favorite," my Mom would say bacon. My Dad would say anything my Mom cooks. I would say the swordfish I make and the salmon croquettes my Grandmother used to make. DH would say "Nothing healthy, please" LOL!

The one dish we all agree on is cabbage - cooked way down. With a Vidalia onion. You can take the girl out of the South, but ...
Attached Thumbnails
What is the pan you couldn't do without?-nanny-cast-iron.jpg  

Old 07-10-2016, 04:02 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,366,498 times
Quote:

Here's my cast iron skillet. My Great-Grandmother already had it when my Grandfather was born in 1913.

As for a "family favorite," my Mom would say bacon. My Dad would say anything my Mom cooks. I would say the swordfish I make and the salmon croquettes my Grandmother used to make. DH would say "Nothing healthy, please" LOL!

The one dish we all agree on is cabbage - cooked way down. With a Vidalia onion. You can take the girl out of the South, but ...
That's pretty cool. I've never seen one exactly like that. The deep sides would make it very useful. Never part with that one!

Old 07-10-2016, 04:22 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Quote:

I have one from my great grandmother as well but mine is a pot with a handle. It has a glass lid but we aren't sure if it's original to the pot or not. I do have cast iron pans but they aren't that old and only one is seasoned and used once a month.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:40 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
I have the copper bottom set... I know, aren't they great? Y'know, I have wanted a smaller fry pan too, which appeared to be unavailable now. Any ideas where I might look for them again?
EBAY has them. Check that they are the vintage kind, not the new ones. It should say Clinton, IL, Rome, NY, or sometimes, Riverside, CA. If you buy new ones, they are not made in USA and they are thin metal that's a waste of money.

My favorite pan (besides my copper clad Revere Ware) is, of course, the cast iron frying pan. It's heavy so I just keep it on top of the stove permanently. When I'm through cooking, I put a little bit of water in it, heat it up, wipe it out, and it's done. Easy.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:57 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,535 times
I also have two. One is a Revere Ware heavy-bottomed large frying pan that is used for steaks that go from searing on stove top to finishing in the oven. The other is a two-handled deep non-stick frying pan that works for stews, sauces, and a whole bunch of other things. It is large too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink