Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 08:37 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,037 times

Advertisements

My non-stick 6 inch egg pan, I enjoy eggs and eat one just about daily..
Nothing is ever fried in this pan except eggs..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 10:09 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
My mom's skillet and dutch oven, both heavy cast aluminum. They cook things wiithout burning them and are so solidly built they are indestructable. The skillet lost its handle but I just sit it on the burner and when done let it cool. All these thinner pans just don't cook the same.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:57 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,947,713 times
My All-Clad 3 quart saucepan. I've used it almost every day since I got it 20 years ago.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:22 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,582,785 times
My stainless steel 12-inch Revere Ware frypan with a lid. I can cook enough chicken breasts in it to last a week in the refrigerator. A close second, is the 12-Qt. stainless steel pot with a lid. I cook a big enough pot of mixed beans to last me for almost two weeks. I keep the refrigerator at 33.5 degrees, so this all stays fresh. So I have to do serious cooking only one day or less a week. I also tend not to eat so much as i did when I cooked just enough for one day and I have a couple of hours each day that are free for other things. By the way, the frypan has been handed-down in the family for 65 years. The 8-quart pot that went with it sprang a leak 5 years ago, when I left it unwashed for a couple of days with acidic tomato juice in it------lesson learned.

And there's dozens of ways you can quickly heat up pre-cooked chicken and beans into different dishes, by adding tomatoes, sauce, olives, mushrooms, etc, in varying combinations. I mix a pint of nonfat, plain yogurt into the dish for flavor and calcium. Sometimes, I substitute a couple of cans of water-pack tuna for the chicken. Then I eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, that require almost no preparation time. And there's also a big spoonful of fresh-ground almond butter and an avocado every day.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 07-09-2016 at 01:36 AM..

Old 07-09-2016, 02:57 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,481,386 times
Is this cheating? I'd like to nominate my outdoor propane griddle! I'm only allowed to "help" in the kitchen, but out on the deck, I'm my own man!

I cook breakfast on it most every day -- eggs, bacon, French toast, hot cakes, hash browns, omelettes -- and often, lunch, too...burgers are great on it.

It never goes in the dishwasher, but I'd be lost without my griddle!

Old 07-09-2016, 05:17 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,363,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
My mom's skillet and dutch oven, both heavy cast aluminum. They cook things wiithout burning them and are so solidly built they are indestructable. The skillet lost its handle but I just sit it on the burner and when done let it cool. All these thinner pans just don't cook the same.
Heavy aluminum is awesome... My parents have a huge heavy aluminum pot that they still use, I think it dates from the 1940s. Weighs a ton but still makes great stew.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Cutie View Post
The pan I could not live without is my cast iron skillet. It is over 100 years old - I am the 4th generation in my family to use it (my Mom finally let me have it last fall - she has so many, it was only fair).

It never goes in the dishwasher, but it is in use almost daily. On the burner and in the oven. Some of my fish recipes go from burner to oven and back again.

I have other cookware that is "sexier" - some fabulous copper, for example, in lots of shapes in sizes. But my cast iron skillet is my best friend in the kitchen. I absolutely love it.
My old family cast iron skillet was lost when our moving van was stolen in Dallas. When my we helped clean out my dad and mom's house a few years later, I was hoping to get one of the remaining old skillets, but couldn't find them. I agree with you, they are the best pan ever made. I no longer have one of the old family skillets, but I do have a similar one and use it constantly. If push comes to shove you can even use one for steaming. So yes, my skillet is the one pan that is used daily.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:33 AM

50,325 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
My 5 qt. sauteuse.

It's so versatile. It's sides are deep enough to make stew or soup, yet low enough to sauté, fry, roast, or bake. It can go from the stovetop or oven, directly to the table as a beautiful serving dish. It's great for making big dinners.

http://cdn.cutleryandmore.com/products/large/32871.jpg
I have one of those that I use a lot too.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:53 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,173 times
My 5L saucepan. I have two, and I often wish I had a third.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:15 AM

274 posts, read 252,540 times
All-Clad 10" skillet. A wedding gift that has seen daily use (for cooking, of course!) during our 23 years of "wedded bliss"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink