Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 04:23 AM

23,509 posts, read 13,740,491 times

Advertisements

Just finished my two apples and three oranges here at work, something of a standard for me....................

............................and my bananas at home in the fruit bowl on the counter are getting nice spots on them.

I say "oranges" but I tend not to be selective. I pick up what is round, orange, and at a good price. If it is a navel, such as today, that's fine but if it is a tangelo another week, that's okay, too!

Equally, some weeks it is not oranges but rather grapefruit which I peel and eat like an orange.....and some weeks, the red apples "turn green"....as in pears. For many years, I did go in for granny apples, they were cheaper as I recall, but I guess that tart taste finally got to me. Weird, isn't it, that I love grape fruit but couldn't go with grannies.....go figure.

As far as Florida goes, I found this on the subject (but not knowing whether it is right or wrong)
Francis W. Zettler: The Florida orange — too much of a good thing? - Opinion - Gainesville Sun - Gainesville, FL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 07:21 AM

259,023 posts, read 90,285,765 times
The Lake Alfred test station is a place that I frequently pass by. The greening stated is true. Canker caused thousands of acres to be destroyed to prevent the spread. Canker is everywhere south of the border. With even all the quarantine safe guards in place it spread. I'm loading up and heading out. I'll take a few pics of groves that will shed some light as to what is going on all around me. By tomorrow they will be here.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:59 PM

16,368 posts, read 30,102,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Have given up on buying fruit that is out of season. Grapes taste like rubbish, oranges like cardboard, melons... well better not said in a family forum. *LOL*

All this when a smallish bag of such grapes cost >$8 USD. Told the check-out girl that supermarket was out of their natural mind and put the things back.

Grapes are RARELY ou of season for long as they are grown world wide. The Chilean fruit comes into the US during the winter months in this country is quite excellent.

When you see fruit that is 2-3x more than usual, you should generally pass as it has had to be imported from harder to get dources.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:37 PM

Here are the dying orange tree pics I finally got a minute to shoot. First is a healthy looking tree but is most likely infected and will start dying soon. The dying tree is right next to it. The third photo is of what I believe to be a blueberry field going in where a thriving grove had been. Most likely either navels or ruby red grapefruit. This is known for fresh fruit.

Healthy looking

Dying

Blueberry field in the making. Many thousands of acres of blueberries have replace citrus. Now even here a gallon of good juice is over $7 a gallon.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:43 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,245,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Here are the dying orange tree pics I finally got a minute to shoot. First is a healthy looking tree but is most likely infected and will start dying soon. The dying tree is right next to it. The third photo is of what I believe to be a blueberry field going in where a thriving grove had been. Most likely either navels or ruby red grapefruit. This is known for fresh fruit.

Healthy looking

Dying

Blueberry field in the making. Many thousands of acres of blueberries have replace citrus. Now even here a gallon of good juice is over $7 a gallon.
Blueberries are fine, but nothing is any better than a good orange, grapefruit or lemon. I'll stick with my citrus.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:01 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,777,692 times
Those mass-produced blueberries are flavorless. It's a shame they're replacing citrus with blueberries.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Those mass-produced blueberries are flavorless. It's a shame they're replacing citrus with blueberries.
You are right most of the time. 1 of 4 may have some flavor but not like home grown. Nothing else is. I drove by another acreage today cleaned to the dirt. I doubt the citrus grower will invest in something that is going to die. I seed trees that look to only be 3 years old dying. It takes up to 10 years to break even. I expect to see citrus prices rising more and more. The county where this is going on during the 40's - 60's produced more citrus than all the rest of the US put together. Many thousands of acres. The largest land mass county of the state. There are already according to a new editorial 17,000+ acres been diverted to blueberries. I think the mass plantings are bred up for machine harvest and not flavor. I don't know what the newer citrus belt of SW FL is like now. The snow and ice storm in the late 80's killed all the citrus N of I-4 except for a spot here or there. What was groves is now shopping malls and cookie cutter homes.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:21 PM

23,509 posts, read 13,740,491 times
On those bananas in the fruit bowl atop the kitchen laptop, two things.

First of all, they had a rather "ethyl" taste to them. Perhaps because they were organic, perhaps that is the way bananas are suppose to taste, but I didn't find it pleasant, dumped most of a half eaten banana in the trash.

Secondly, in trying to break one away from the bunch, what usually happened was that the skin split from the "meat" at the top, opening it up. That didn't happen before when I kept them in the frig.

They were, though, the organics; next time, I'll try it with the non's.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:53 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,492,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
You are right most of the time. 1 of 4 may have some flavor but not like home grown. Nothing else is. I drove by another acreage today cleaned to the dirt. I doubt the citrus grower will invest in something that is going to die. I seed trees that look to only be 3 years old dying. It takes up to 10 years to break even. I expect to see citrus prices rising more and more. The county where this is going on during the 40's - 60's produced more citrus than all the rest of the US put together. Many thousands of acres. The largest land mass county of the state. There are already according to a new editorial 17,000+ acres been diverted to blueberries. I think the mass plantings are bred up for machine harvest and not flavor. I don't know what the newer citrus belt of SW FL is like now. The snow and ice storm in the late 80's killed all the citrus N of I-4 except for a spot here or there. What was groves is now shopping malls and cookie cutter homes.

Wow, that's sad. I saw the same thing happen in North San Diego County, CA. Acres of citrus...gone.

I was lucky enough to have my own citrus trees...orange (blood & Valencias), tangerine, Meyer lemon & Mexican lime in my back yard in SoCal. And I sure do miss them, haven't had a decent orange since.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:08 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,245,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Wow, that's sad. I saw the same thing happen in North San Diego County, CA. Acres of citrus...gone.

I was lucky enough to have my own citrus trees...orange (blood & Valencias), tangerine, Meyer lemon & Mexican lime in my back yard in SoCal. And I sure do miss them, haven't had a decent orange since.
I remember growing up in the Los Angeles area, every yard had an orange tree. Well, that isn't quite the case but we did have lots of orange trees as well as all types of fruit. From just east of Los Angeles, all the way to San Bernardino were miles and miles of orange orchards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink