Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 02:53 PM

491 posts, read 374,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My son and his Filipino SO are coming for a 10 day visit. She lives in Singapore, speaks only a little English and I understand is quite shy.I have asked her if she has food allergies or dislikes or preferences so I can accommodate her. I've not been answered.

I'm looking for meal suggestions which might combine what my family will eat and something familiar to her.
So far I have an Asian Coleslaw to serve with pulled pork BBQ and Asian chicken salad. My family doesn't
like real spicy foods, DH won't tolerate any peppers at all.

Any suggestions on meals/dishes or where to find something I can customize? Thank you.
no worries. filipinos have no problem eating western foods. they are meat eaters. i know plenty of filipinos, they love grilled meats, especially PORK, bbq. the less healthier, the better. they even like fried spam with rice. in the filipines, there's alot of things we eat here. they'll eat fried chicken, french fries, bbq ribs, deep fried things. they also like chinese food. their cuisine has a portuguese/spanish influence which isn't much different than alot of our american foods and fused with some asian influences. one popular dish you may want to try is adobo. it's simple.. prepare some rice along whatever you make, and offer that if she wants. rice is typically served with all meals. you shouldn't stress over this. filipinos eat everything.

Last edited by HarryHaller73; 07-13-2016 at 03:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 03:31 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,851,003 times
I would feel a little uncomfortable if I went to visit people in Singapore and they served me varieties of their version of American foods. One of the most fun things about travel is trying new foods! Everyone is right, just make your best dishes and offer her to go shopping at the Asian market if she wants something else.

I can't wait for the report of how it goes! You better let us know!

Old 07-13-2016, 03:34 PM

17,389 posts, read 11,940,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Cook her a typical American meal. American food is great, and you have tons of choices/regional specialties to choose from. It's always fun to have a typical local meal when you travel somewhere.

I doubt think she's coming to the US expecting to eat what she always eats in her own country.
Exactly. If I went to another country, I'd be disappointed to be served american food. I can eat that anytime. I'd want local food, for sure.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:37 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,025,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I would feel a little uncomfortable if I went to visit people in Singapore and they served me varieties of their version of American foods.
I wouldn't feel uncomfortable...I would be ticked off. Last thing I want in a foodie paradise like Singapore is to taste poor imitations of some American food.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:04 PM
JL

8,519 posts, read 14,497,169 times
Don't prepare Asian food. She's probably interested in something that is much different. Chicken fried steak or some Cajun.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:10 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,351,090 times
The first day or so after they arrive, due to jet lag, try to keep the food "light." Other than that, there's no real reason to stick to Asian-style food. She'd very likely enjoy trying new things as part of the travel experience!

A relative with two young daughters visited Canada from Japan a couple of years ago. Something the kids really enjoyed was mashed potatoes. Seriously, they couldn't get enough of those. They also loved pancakes.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:41 PM

24,245 posts, read 10,556,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I wouldn't feel uncomfortable...I would be ticked off. Last thing I want in a foodie paradise like Singapore is to taste poor imitations of some American food.
If you are a guest you can express your dislike. If a hostess goes out of her way to accommodate you her "imitations" should be appreciated. I have had a number of house guests who asked for specific German dishes. They expected what they knew as "the thing" in their countries.

The young ladie is a family member visiting family for a week. She is bringing a toddler, flying without her mate and probably has other things but poor imitation oa American food somewhere on her mind.

NoKudzu will take care of mother and child and they will know they are part of the family.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:36 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,933,224 times
Quote:
They come in on the 20th at 6 a.m.I know they will be tired and jet lagged. I'll give a full report.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:29 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,692,822 times
I'm sure that she will enjoy whatever you cook. My only caution would be nothing with too much cheese or other dairy products. Some of my Asian friends are sensitive to lactose.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,418,348 times
Quote:
I would feel a little uncomfortable if I went to visit people in Singapore and they served me varieties of their version of American foods. One of the most fun things about travel is trying new foods! Everyone is right, just make your best dishes and offer her to go shopping at the Asian market if she wants something else.

My husband has had to go to Singapore on occasion for military training (U.S. Navy). When the sailors get liberty and go out to eat, my husband gets super irritated that there's always a big contingent who will only go to the American chains. He's like, "We're in Singapore, some of the most awesome food in the world, and you're really going to go to Hooters? See ya." And then he ends up someplace where you fish for your own gigantic prawns and have them prepared in front of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink