U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 07:38 PM

266 posts, read 795,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
I am at high altitude also, 4,500 ft. When I have problems with uneven cooking, I turn the oven down about 15 degrees. That usually takes care of the problem. Are you having problems with other things cooking unevenly or just the bread?

But I also love Pampered chef, so if you need a good excuse to get one of their pans, then use the uneven baking reason, lol.
Yes, I've had problems with other things baking unevenly, but the loaf breads seem to be the worst. I am starting to think it could be the pan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 07:56 PM

14,930 posts, read 26,635,658 times
I do not have any experience baking at high altitude but I would venture a guess that if you lowered the temp and extended the cooking time you might be happier with the finished product. I really do love cooking with stones but I am not convinced that it is your pan that is the culprit here. Please keep us posted, I am intrigued.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:02 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,208,907 times
I have a few ideas:
-make sure to spread your mixture to the sides, leaving a "dip-like" center.
-consider putting your bread in as the oven is warming up to the desired temperature. I have started doing this w/my oven because it also cooks differently than other ovens I have had.
-I don't know if covering up the pan would help...
Good luck........

Old 02-27-2008, 06:29 PM

31 posts, read 83,256 times
I make banana bread all the time, in dark metal, shiny metal, and glass and they all come out relatively the same. ........I'm at sea level. Must be the altitude!

Old 02-28-2008, 04:12 PM

4,899 posts, read 16,248,434 times
i think the problem here is that for a loaf recipe the toothpick doesnt need to come out clean in the middle. if the sides come out clean and the middle is not too gooey but had some residue on the toothpick, then its good.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:25 AM

20 posts, read 36,034 times
Make sure that you have sprayed the pan thoroughly and bake at the suggested temperature!!!!

All foods, baked or cooked take longer at higher elevations, even those that need to be boiled. Sure the water boils at a lower temp, but the product will still take longer to bake.

If you have any questions or need any high altitude tips and adjustments see my books at
Welcome to High Altitude Baking and Cooking Adjustments and Products :: The Muffin Lady

All info is based on daily experiences over 30 years baking and cooking at high altitudes. I live in the mountains of Colorado, and have been baking and cooking professionally for over 16 years, so please contact me as it is my pleasure to help you find success in your kitchen.

ENJOY

Old 03-02-2008, 03:11 PM

20 posts, read 36,034 times
Default Loaf pan dilemma's

Hi Tina,

In response to your question related to using glass baking pans.

I have found that glass pans work great for casseroles, veggies and some foods, but other than for fruit cobblers and crisps, they do not work very well, especially for cakes and breads.

I am not sure of the actual scientific reasons why, but I assume that it is because more heat can generate the glass, hence causing the outside of the product to baked faster while the center is still trying to catch up in temperature.

Sure adding less batter will help, but the outer edges will still bake faster, either way.

IF you feel that it is best to decrease the batter alittle, use the excess by pouring it into either:
Muffin pan sections or mini bread sections in a pan.
However, always make sure to grease the pan thoroughly before adding any batter.

Here is my banana bread recipe, one that has been said to be very good.
Although it is formatted for high altitude, have no fear for it also works in lower elevations, for all one must do is bake it for a few less minutes. AND because all ovens cook differently, always test the product for doneness (insert a knife, toothlick or whatever, if it comes out relatively clean, 1-2 specks Ok, then the product has finished baking)

The Muffin Lady's Banana Bread:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

5 large, ripe bananas or 6 small bananas
1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter or margarine
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/3 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
3/4 cup Chocolate chips raisins and/or walnuts may be added

1. Mash the bananas in the mixing bowl.
2. Add the butter, sugar and eggs to the bananas.
Cream the bananas and egg mixture thoroughly.

3. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
4. Grease a standard size bread pan.
5. Pour batter evenly into the prepared pan.
6. Bake 55-65 minutes or until inserted knife comes out clean.

Remove the bread from the pan within about 2-5 minutes after removing from the oven, preferably as soon as you can touch the pan, allow some of the steam to flow and then, turn head side up and either wrap in clear film to store or wait another few minutes to slice. Most sweet breads need a few minutes to cool just a tad prior to slicing allowing the ingredients to set thoroughly. If too eager, the slices may fall apart before the slice is cut. Also best to use a serrated knife on breads.

A somewhat healtheir sweet bread, for when you think about it, there is over 1/2 of a banana per slice!!! Great way to add some fruit to a child's craving for sweets too!

ENJOY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink