Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 01:15 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times

Advertisements

We have tons of great, inexpensive restaurants where I live, so while I do enjoy cooking, I also enjoy eating out. Within a five-minute drive we can get Greek food, Chinese dumplings, Indian food, Vietnamese sandwiches, and teriyaki. Each of those is what might be called a "hole in the wall" - owned by people of the same ethnicity that the food is from, so the food is authentic and the prices are very reasonable for the portion size and quality.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:17 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Not at all. We live in a BBQ mecca, and there are too many awesome places. We can't really replicate it at home without building a smoker and pit annex in the back yard. And if my husband attempts to do that, I'll remind him that building a deck is first priorty, LOL.
My BBQ recipes and equipment make dining at BBQ restaurants unnecessary. The only local restaurants we really like are a catfish restaurant and some pizza joints.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:20 PM

496 posts, read 411,541 times
We don't eat out often, the restaurants in our area are not very good.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:14 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well we have just had it with eating out and there is really not many great offerings in restaraunts where we live anyway. We figure we might actually save some money not eating out at least for a year , And we figure we will probably be healthier for it also .
Have any of you all just stopped eating out , I mean just plain cut it out of your life ? if so how much did you figure you saved or are saving just by doing this one simple step ?
Yep, we have pretty much eliminated 'eating out' at restaurants, however, the primary reason was not 'saving money'.

It's really an aggregate of reasons:

1) I cook better than most of what you can get in an ordinary restaurant.

2) Can't smoke in restaurants anymore. I like relaxing with a smoke and a drink after the meal, having to go outside to have a smoke is not relaxing.

3) The TV is plastered with 'Public Service' advertisements warning that the cops are out to get you, not just for 'drunk' driving, but even for 'buzzed' driving. With the current attitudes and actions of cops, I feel concerned that if I have even a single drink, and then drive home I am flirting with disaster.

We used to eat out constantly. Now? Hardly ever. We prefer to stay home where we can be more relaxed, we don't have to worry about how much we drink, I can smoke when I want (in comfort), and the food is a helluva lot better...and I actually feel good about putting out a quality meal.

There are few restaurants around that I would rather eat at than eat my own cooking, and those would probably be around $100/PP meals. Got a mortgage and other interests that I didn't have when I was younger and did that regularly, so that sort of thing is just a treat now, when I can spend $50 and get a meal that's as good or better, and I can relax and smoke and drink and not have to worry about driving home.

Really, it's the smoking and drinking thing that got me to cooking at home more often, and more practice led to better meals.

Stupid legislation/enforcement/nanny state is the primary cause- so, restaurants lose.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:21 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Eating out and sitting in a restaurant we only do that 2 times a year. But getting something to go once a week sometimes 2 times a week, whether it's pizza, Chinese or something from the local diner and occasionally Apple bees. We rarely eat from the major food chain places.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:34 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You think your options are bad now, if more people stop eating out, restaurants start closing their doors. Where do you think that leaves your choices?

Won't affect you?

Try calling your favorite HVAC place and they are out of business. Why? Their bread and butter are restaurants. Your favorite plumber? Ditto. Electrician?

How about the restaurant employees that spend money? Rent? Groceries?

Doctors?

The restaurant industry employs more people than any other industry in the US.

Restaurants are also the number one small business.

Also, those chain restaurants you hate give back more than anyone to the local community through schools, fire departments, police departments, local charities, etc. They also provide health care, insurance, 401ks, and paid vacation for those employees.

I'm certainly not suggesting your single handidly support them but think your decision through.
Tough...cookies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
Olive garden and Longhorn are our splurge restaurants and we love them.
Longhorn is OK, but you can't pay me to eat at Olive Garden. Blech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Not at all. We live in a BBQ mecca, and there are too many awesome places. We can't really replicate it at home without building a smoker and pit annex in the back yard. And if my husband attempts to do that, I'll remind him that building a deck is first priorty, LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
My BBQ recipes and equipment make dining at BBQ restaurants unnecessary. The only local restaurants we really like are a catfish restaurant and some pizza joints.
Got my own smoker, started using it this year. It's an el cheapo Brinkmann Smoke 'n' Grill with the fire below and the dome top, but it's good enough to convince me that I can do that kind of food right too, and that at some point I'll spring for something better. Less than $50 at WallyWorld (and discontinued now) but I got mine for free...can't beat that price.

Just one more reason to stay home.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:38 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Unfortunately 'dining out' has been run into the ground by all the chain places....Olive Garden, Chipotle, Bonefish,.....they are all mediocre and meant to provide you with the cheapest meal in the shortest period of time so they can get the next sucker at the table. Dining in those places offers neither decent food, courteous professional service, nor relaxing "real" atmosphere.

I used to eat out frequently. Now it is occasionally...a pizza joint, or a really upscale place which is chef or privately owned. I stay away from everything in the middle as it just is too frustrating and for the money, they don't offer anything I can't make for a fraction of the price and twice the quality at home. Yes, it is lousy not having service when you eat at home, but sometimes it is better than the "hi, my name is Buffy and I will be your server tonight; can I sell you a cocktail?"
I so agree! Almost every time I eat at one of the many restaurants in this city that people rave about I feel like I have been ripped off. And I never eat at any of the chains unless I get a gift card as a gift .
Now there are exceptions- I love ethnic food, especially Indian, and I can never make it taste like it does at the restaurant. The other exception is the Commerce Club- our local Club Corp club. It is just like Cheers, lol-everyone knows your name- the food is very good and the service could not be any better.

The problem I have is that I cook all of the meals here ( even grilling burgers, while I make sure that the stuff I have going inside doesn't burn or overcook-grrr- and it is really nice once in a while to have someone else cook and serve me- even if it's just a cup of coffee. So it is difficult sometimes to balance wanting to eat out with not wanted to feel ripped off, or even worse, not enjoy the food I am paying a lot for.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:40 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
We eat out once every week or so. Mostly local places, but occasionally chains. My kid is just at the transition point between the kids menu and the real menu and it can be easier when he knows what to expect. Generally casual type or ethnic dining but every other month or so, we go to a nicer place. As he gets a bit older and more willing to expand his horizons, I'll need to increase my budget - kid ordered lobster the last time! :-)

Old 07-13-2016, 02:56 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
...Got my own smoker, started using it this year. It's an el cheapo Brinkmann Smoke 'n' Grill with the fire below and the dome top, but it's good enough to convince me that I can do that kind of food right too, and that at some point I'll spring for something better. Less than $50 at WallyWorld (and discontinued now) but I got mine for free...can't beat that price...
I have a vintage 1/4" steel Oklahoma Joe offset and a Big Green Egg. The whole neighborhood knows when I'm cooking pork butts on the offset.

There's no reason for us to dine at a BBQ restaurant.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:04 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,396 times
We stopped most eating out years ago. Well, we don't eat out at very many chains at all. It will be a higher end chain if we do eat at one. Although on occasion we do have some IN-N-OUT but its been maybe 8 or 9 months since we ate there.

It just tastes better to cook at home. We also have many easy meals consisting of 6-8 oz of meat grilled/pan fried and some steamed/sauteed veggies. We portion out the meat and freeze it so as long as we plan ahead a bit it takes like 15 mins to cook a really good meal.

We didn't do it for money really, its just that most restaurant food is very subpar. I think any harm we did to the fast food industry has been more than made up for by my family and friends. Most get fast food at least once a day if not twice. Their kids are raised on fast food burgers, fries and soda. They douse it liberally with ketchup or ranch to make it taste good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink