U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 02:57 PM

16,929 posts, read 19,666,757 times

Advertisements

I use herbs in cooking but there are a few varieties I did not know existed. My neighbor has a huge vegetable and herb garden.

Pineapple Sage- she gave me some and it smells like pineapple and she said it's great on chicken

Chocolate mint- very strong chocolaty mint odor-she adds it to smoothies. I did not take any but I will next time I see her.

Are there any herbs you have discovered that you did not know about???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 04:14 PM

14,297 posts, read 17,491,099 times
Lemon basil. Already discussed here on another thread (I'm still not thrilled with it).

Thai basil. THAT stuff I love in certain dishes.

I've started using more thyme than I used to.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:31 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
...I've started using more thyme than I used to.
I use quite a bit of thyme myself, provided it's fresh. Dried thyme can ruin a dish if you're not careful, fresh thyme is more forgiving.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:51 PM

3,425 posts, read 2,121,646 times
I've grown both of these for a while but I don't think they're all that common.

Salad burnet. It has a light cucumber and, not surprisingly, is great in salads.

Lemon verbena is another one of my favorites. I have a hard time growing it because my dogs want to eat it.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:46 PM

16,929 posts, read 19,666,757 times
Lemon thyme although I have never used it I have heard of it. My neighbor is growing that too.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:52 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
None that I haven't heard about, but I do mix things up each year.

This year I have flat and curly leaf parsley, rosemary, sweet basil, cardinal basil, a bunch of different types of mint (peppermint, spearmint, chocolate mint, apple mint, a few others), sage, chives, and lavender. I did have dill, but the rabbits ate off several plantings, so I gave up rather than keep wasting the money. I've done thyme before, but I don't use it much, so I stopped. Same with oregano.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:42 AM

811 posts, read 633,475 times
I love the idea of those hybrid-aromatic herbs (pineapple sage, chocolate mint, orange mint, lemon basil, etc.), but I always find them to be too perfumey to actually make me happy when trying to cook with them. They start to smell like Sephora instead of a kitchen. :-/ I'd rather just use pineapple and sage, lemon and basil, etc. Again, I think it's a fun idea though, and definitely fun to smell in the garden, at least.

Yes, Rowan! I love salad burnet (try muddling it with mint in a mojito!) and lemon verbena (I also love this one for cocktails, but it's great in desserts too!)! And JK, I'm obsessed with Thai basil! It's one of my favorite things, ever. I even love using the flowers in dishes (seems like constant work to keep that plant from going to seed...) too. The flowers have a delicate, licorice flavor that is more isolated and obvious than in the Thai basil leaves, themselves, but still super delicate. They're very tarragon-like. But those Thai basil leaves... I don't think there is a proper description out there for them. Sure: peppery, basil-y, licorice-y, sweet... but it's like trying to describe vanilla or jasmine rice. It's just its own, amazing thing; This balanced, memorable bouquet that you want to breathe in deep.

Three others that I LOVE that are not in ordinary line-ups: chervil, lovage, and savory.

Chervil is fresh and "green" tasting (like parsley - it is a kind of parsley), but also has a touch of that sweet anise flavor.

Lovage is like celery leaves. Celery is one of my favorite aromatics and I love having a compact plant in the herb garden that can give a punch of that flavor but doesn't require any cooking. It's so yummy to put a few leaves in salad, on soups, etc.

Savory is somewhat similar to thyme, but peppery. I love this herb in bean dishes and in anything roasted. For some reason, it's also one of my favorites to just catch a whiff of as my hands brush against the plant.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:16 PM

While I absolutely love sweet basil/Genovese basil, I'm not a big fan of Thai basil, or any of the other varieties. They're too anise-y for me.

I do keep some of them planted, though, because the bees love them.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:30 PM

3,321 posts, read 3,562,039 times
I like to grow my own basil, chives, and cilantro, but the plants go to seed too fast for me to get much use out of them.
I wish I could grow my own basil, every time I buy it at the store it goes brown in 2 days.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:53 PM

The past two summers here have been perfect weather for growing basil. Chives, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink