Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you dislike the foods you wont eat?
Taste 50 67.57%
Texture 36 48.65%
Smell 25 33.78%
Look 9 12.16%
Reputation (What you think it is like because you have not, and will not ever eat it!) 5 6.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 07:24 AM

3,314 posts, read 2,215,404 times

Advertisements

When bananas gets soft
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 07:29 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
I picked taste. But I have childhood memories associated with certain foods where I got sick or some other bad memory. A weird one for me is spaghetti, although I will eat other pastas.

A curious thing about smell though. This may sound crazy, but there are foods that smell like feet, B.O., farts, etc. But it smells good in the kitchen, but I've smelled similar smells in the public bathroom. For example, someone was microwaving meatloaf and it smelled like farts. But people are saying, mmmm. Never mind me, just a silly thought.
For me it's mostly taste, although smell and texture can play a part too.

I think broccoli is one of those foods that smells lousy when it's cooking, but it's probably my favorite veggie.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:42 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,025,823 times
I would also add "temperature." There are some cold foods that absolutely gross me out because of the combination of temperature and texture, like potato salad.

Another factor for me is who made it. I will eat deviled eggs or tuna salad that I or my sister made (and my mom when she was alive), but that's all. Everyone else's grosses me out.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:54 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Another factor for me is who made it. I will eat deviled eggs or tuna salad that I or my sister made (and my mom when she was alive), but that's all. Everyone else's grosses me out.
Hahahahahaha!

My wife's family insists that only Hellmann's mayo is good, and that they will never eat Miracle Whip, because "it sucks".

But, at every family gathering they beg her to bring her deviled eggs. "Best deviled eggs" they've ever had. What makes them different? She uses Miracle Whip instead of Hellmann's. They still don't understand why I think it's so funny that they like her deviled eggs...more than 30 years of humor for me...maybe some day I'll tell them...

Old 08-02-2016, 09:24 AM

559 posts, read 1,394,894 times
Taste for yellow squash, black licorice, Reese's Pieces or other chocolate & peanut butter combinations, peanut butter cookies, lemon-flavored desserts, and nuts.

Taste and texture for eggplant, jelly doughnuts, any food that contains shredded or flaked coconut, and blueberry muffins (I like blueberries and I like muffins, but not together).

I can deal with eating nuts if they're chopped up into small pieces or slivers and mixed in with other food, but I cannot stand the taste of walnuts, pecans, pistachios, etc. And I don't like nuts in brownies or carrot cake - the nuts ruin the taste and texture for me.

I like whole almonds if they're covered in chocolate - just a dusting of chocolate is good, like the Blue Diamond Dark Chocolate Almonds.

Sometimes I can deal with eating peanuts if they're honey roasted. I like plain peanut butter (the kind where the only ingredient is peanuts, and maybe salt) but I cannot stand plain whole peanuts.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:46 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,223,558 times
i dislike things usually because of smell, taste, or texture. Usually not a combination. Like seafood. I wont go near any of it because of the fishy smell.I dont like pickles but I love olives, i hate cucumbers too.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:57 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,297,425 times
Texture.

Specifically, I hate the texture of peas, beans, and mushrooms.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:43 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,386,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Smell and taste...followed by, 'well that's just disgusting and I'm not even going to give it a chance'.

For me, things taste just exactly the way they smell, so if it smells bad, there is no way in hell that I'm going to eat it.

There are some things that just the thought of eating them turns me off- liver, kidneys, etc. (basically, any organ meats or offal). So, not going to eat them. Liver smells bad to me.

I can't stand the smell of seafood, most any kind of fish is right out. Parmesan cheese...don't even put it on the table, it smells like vomit and provokes me into adding to it.
Not always true for cheese -- esp expensive cheese

Old 08-02-2016, 12:31 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Not always true for cheese -- esp expensive cheese
That's why I stipulated that the condition was true "for me". In *my* experience it is always true, but I realize that this does not make it true for everyone else. Taste and smell are subjective experiences that vary between individuals. Smell can often influence the way something tastes, and for me, my sense of smell overpowers taste.

Could I eat some particular foul smelling thing If I eliminated the smell, perhaps by plugging my nose? It seems reasonable to think that I could, however, my enjoyment of other things would be so greatly diminished that it would make the condition undesirable. It is much simpler and more pleasant to just not eat the things that smell bad.

(I have a hypothesis that an individual's senses of smell and taste reflect his/her body's need to consume or avoid particular items, for various reasons, but it is far beyond the scope of this forum...and my ability to create an experiment to confirm or refute it.)

Old 08-02-2016, 02:01 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
TASTE most definetly..........

They have really ruined almost all food I used to like...... (It all has lower sugar/lower sodium now OR HAS OTHER STUFF I DONT WANT (Maltodextrin,etc))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink