Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you dislike the foods you wont eat?
Taste 50 67.57%
Texture 36 48.65%
Smell 25 33.78%
Look 9 12.16%
Reputation (What you think it is like because you have not, and will not ever eat it!) 5 6.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 02:10 PM

7,678 posts, read 5,415,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The bottom line is taste. I think mushrooms taste awful. So do raw tomatoes, liver, and oatmeal. Texture definitely contributes, but in a lesser way. I would say oatmeal and mushrooms have a very unappealing texture, but I'm sure I could get over that if they tasted wonderful. I mean, I don't have a special aversion to "slimy" or "rubbery" foods.

Smell and appearance are not really major considerations for me.

Reputation, yes, for a few things, such as natto (Japanese fermented soybeans).

Then, there is the psychological barrier. I can't eat raw beef or raw fish. They don't look, smell, or feel particularly bad, and since I've never tasted them it can't be the taste. I know lots of people love them; they don't have a bad reputation. I just have a mental block against eating raw flesh.
LOL. Some of your "bad foods" are on my favorites list, especially natto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 02:54 PM

20,894 posts, read 28,292,803 times
All of the Above LOL I smelled limburger and nearly died, however I tried a taste and so did DH. We both agreed never again and he's the more adventurous one.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:00 PM

7,487 posts, read 10,460,988 times
I enjoy just about anything, like any proper troglodyte!

One thing I've had an aversion to, since childhood, is mushrooms. It's because they are fungus, nothing else. I've understood, since childhood, that the purpose of fungi is to break down living matter and cause it to decay.

I'm also repulsed by non-edible fungus, like in the woods. Usually, if food goes bad in the fridge, I'll remove it for my wife, and dispose of it. But she learned early in our marriage that I would not handle moldy bread, or moldy anything. She laughs at me, as she has no problem with that. We make a good pair!

Old 08-02-2016, 03:04 PM

7,678 posts, read 5,415,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
All of the Above LOL I smelled limburger and nearly died, however I tried a taste and so did DH. We both agreed never again and he's the more adventurous one.
It's been years since I have eaten any Limburger, but it was one of my Dad's absolute favorites. It was known as "stinky cheese" in our house and my Mom had a special glass container she used just for storing it in the refrigerator.

As I recall, I didn't mind the taste at all. I guess I will have to try it again. I love most cheeses and have only curtailed eating much due to calories and a certain effect it has on my digestive system.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:41 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,678,355 times
All of the above. I've never liked broccoli because of the cooked smell and because of the hard stem/mushy top.

I'm generally not a fan of mushy veggies like cooked zucchini and squash, Brussel sprouts, or those little green peas.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:47 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,787,669 times
It's usually a texture thing for me.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:08 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,100,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby Checker View Post
The main reason dislike certain foods is because of the taste. Smell comes in a close second
I won't go into the parallel on this topic, but if it doesn't smell right I won't go further.........
Indian food comes to mind. NFW. And that ain't a Texas Airport!

Old 08-02-2016, 04:13 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,678,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
I won't go into the parallel on this topic, but if it doesn't smell right I won't go further.........
Indian food comes to mind. NFW. And that ain't a Texas Airport!
See, I love the smell of Indian food. Wouldn't want my house smelling like it, but it smells great to me.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:40 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,563,675 times
Out of the thousands of food items there are available, I eat very few of them, as there aren't many that are not altered in unhealthy ways or are free of toxic and unhealthy substances. Junk food is something I never eat. Taste, smell and texture have much less to do with what I eat or avoid, than its nutritive and health value. I eat to live-------not live to eat.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:44 PM

604 posts, read 854,223 times
I'll eat pretty much anything, but the few taste issues I have are with wine (ick) and balsamic vinegar (overpowers everything). I do have serious texture issues with raw broccoli and cauliflower, though. Cooked, no problems, but when you bite into a raw piece of cauliflower or broccoli and the florets fall apart into all these little shattery pieces in your mouth...*shudder*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink