Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 10:12 PM

283 posts, read 1,291,234 times

Advertisements

Wild raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, cherries, tree nuts, etc. Some folks forage for wild mushrooms.

There are lots of places in this area (Western NC mountains) to find great items like that. Wild blueberries and raspberries are my favorite...There is nothing like it.

The springtime blossoms call out to you to make a mental note of the potential treasures you might find in mid-summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 12:14 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,480 times
I grew up in Chicago and we used to eat berries off of bushes. Lord only know what they were. My grandfather used to pick mushrooms in the forest preserves around Chicago and bring them home for my grandmother to prepare.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:38 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, gooseberries, apples and mushrooms.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:23 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,016,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
I grew up in Chicago and we used to eat berries off of bushes. Lord only know what they were. My grandfather used to pick mushrooms in the forest preserves around Chicago and bring them home for my grandmother to prepare.

I grew up in Chicago too!!!! Rasberry bushes were everywhere and they were oh so good. I would never eat mushrooms (unless I bought them at a grocery store - and who knows where they came from).

Old 02-10-2008, 11:21 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,774 times
I have 10 acres of solid woods. Every year we pick dewberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, elderberries, hickory nuts, and walnuts.

I planted the strawberries, but everything else is natural from the birds.

I forgot to mention the apples, pears, and peaches from the neighbors trees.

Last edited by South Range Family; 02-10-2008 at 11:31 AM..

Old 02-10-2008, 02:24 PM

394 posts, read 2,003,152 times
We pick raspberries, and mushrooms. Don't panic over the mushrooms, my husband grew up picking them with his uncle, he can identify virtually any mushroom you put in front of him. He even sold them to a local specialty grocery store when we would go on vacation in Vermont, he would pick them in huge amounts. Nothing like chantarelles sauteed in butter, yum. There are a lot of fellow mushroom pickers around here though, I see them on the side of the road plucking them all the time, and my dh gets so upset when others find "his" favorite mushroom spot. LOL But I wouldn't advise a novice to go out picking mushrooms, because some are indeed poisonous.

And as for the raspberries, I didn't realize it, but one big section of our yard that I let the weeds grow out of control in last year yielded raspberries by the dozens. They weren't weeds after all, I guess I will continue to let them grow there.

Oh yes, editing to say we have eaten fresh fish we have caught, too.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:38 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
we have lots of wild blackberries on our property, we pick and freeze them. We also have pears, persimmons, oranges, tangerines, figs, guavas, blueberries, and peaches that we grow, along with the veg and herb gardens......
We used to pick morel mushrooms when I was growing up in Mo, they were wonderful!
I miss fresh raspberries, you can only get the storebought kind here, eeeewwwww.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:29 PM

283 posts, read 1,291,234 times
That's fantastic. I just love wild berries.
I grew up in the city so I just love living in the mountains. So many things I just never had a chance to experience as a kid. I am so lucky to be able to experience it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
I have 10 acres of solid woods. Every year we pick dewberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, elderberries, hickory nuts, and walnuts.

I planted the strawberries, but everything else is natural from the birds.

I forgot to mention the apples, pears, and peaches from the neighbors trees.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:16 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,114,293 times
I grew up in the Pocono Mts., surrounded by blackberry bushes, blueberry bushes, crab apple trees, & wild strawberries. We always picked them by the bucket fulls and made jelly, and we still do. My dad has also planted peach and pear trees, so they now can them. Such a treat!

Old 02-12-2008, 04:01 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Of course ! Wild foods are one of the great joys of this world. From blackberries, all kinds of berries, to wild garlic, chive flowers etc... and my great-uncle and father always go 2mushrooming2 in the autumn too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink