U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 08:50 PM

6,739 posts, read 11,803,328 times

Advertisements

So today I shopped at a "new" (new to me) grocery store because it had steak for $2.49/lb. (clearly a loss leader -- it's shoulder steak, so it will need marinating, but it is FABULOUS when done right! ). Anyway, on an impulse I bought a fresh pizza to bake for dinner tonight as I didn't have anything else "scheduled" (and I usually marinate for 24 hours, so the steak was out). So I baked it, and I was eating the first piece, and it was good, but I kept thinking, "Something is missing!"

Turns out it was "white" pizza (didn't notice that when I bought it), which I guess means pizza not made with tomato sauce? To me, it was WAY too dry -- it definitely NEEDED tomato sauce. I missed the "wetness" so much that I actually heated up some Muir Glen pizza sauce and added it to the rest of the slices (which I'll have for lunch/dinner tomorrow). But I guess that kind of defeats the purpose of "white" pizza, no?

I feel like I must be missing something. This white pizza definitely didn't have some OTHER kind of sauce (like alfredo sauce -- which I would NOT have liked on pizza), rather, it was just like a regular pizza where someone forgot to add tomato sauce. Does "real" white pizza taste different/better?

Yeah, I know, this is not the most important question in the world, but it got me curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 09:10 PM

12,941 posts, read 19,873,870 times
I've had really good white pizza, and some pretty awful versions. Our favorite spot uses ricotta, mozzarella, gorgonzola, olive oil and garlic. We add spinach or broccoli rabe. It isn't dry at all, but I've had some where it's not much more than crust and mozzarella, and that is like eating cardboard.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:26 PM

5,335 posts, read 7,689,690 times
I am not fan of white pizza, and I have had gourmet white pizza that has been highly recommended at finer restaurants.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:43 PM

35,828 posts, read 39,541,088 times
Depending on the recipe, some white pizza is topped with olive oil prior to other various pizza toppings, in place of a red sauce.

To me, having a white sauce or oil on a pizza is no more odd than having a tomato-based sauce. Sometimes I'm in the mood for tomato, sometimes not.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:45 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,186,344 times
When I eat pizza it has to have red sauce. I don't like olive oil, pesto, Alfredo, or "white" variations.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:48 PM

6,739 posts, read 11,803,328 times
Thanks for the replies, and reps to all of you for satisfying my curiosity!

The pizza I had didn't seem to have ANY kind of sauce on it -- just lots of cheese and garlic (both of which I love). The crust was quite good too. Overall, though, with no sauce, it was quite dry. HOWEVER, it actually tasted great when I added the Muir Glen pizza sauce (tomato-based!) -- so not a total waste!

Old 08-05-2016, 10:49 PM

35,828 posts, read 39,541,088 times
I LOVE pesto in place of red sauce.

Truth be known, it's pretty rare that I used red sauce on anything, pasta included. Garlic and olive oil with some fresh parmesan, or homemade pesto is usually my go-to. If I want a burst of tomato, I just top it with fresh tomato.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:22 AM

2,702 posts, read 3,457,371 times
CiCi's pizza has a "white" pizza that has Spinach and Alfredo sauce.... Most Excellent....

Old 08-06-2016, 05:07 AM

17,217 posts, read 22,262,232 times
white pizza was a fad a few years ago,,,,and some like to have the variety

ive had some chicken or steak white pizza that was good a pizza supply company came and did a demo..
a few years ago ,,I think I remember the alfredo sauce and some blue cheese tasting sauce that had buffalo chicken on it..
well it was ok... I kinda liked the extra cheese one ,,,but I like the cheese..
I noticed some were a little dry,,, not as wet, like you said ....

and kudos to you on your shoulder steak (sometimes called London broils if cut thick)
this is a fav of my dad ,,,,he cooks em right and cut against the grain they are very good,,great flavor!

Old 08-06-2016, 06:27 AM

10,446 posts, read 7,537,961 times
My CT pizza-snob guy loves "clam pie". (where's that gagging smiley?) it's white.

I do like spinach alfredo anything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink