Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 12:20 PM

730 posts, read 1,656,574 times

Advertisements

We have a few friends that don't like fish, so I grill fish and burgers and chicken.

I do however ask them to try the grilled Salmon.

Guess what, we have never had a guest that tried the Salmon and didn't love it.

I marinate the Salmon in brown sugar, mustard, Italian salad dressing and honey.

The Salmon is slowly grilled (with the skin on) skin side down on the cooler side of the charcoal grill (do the same with a gas grill)

It is turned after about 8 minutes and the skin is removed and discarded.

After a few minutes the fish is returned to the skin removed side and cooked for another 8 or so minutes.

The Salmon comes out flaky, with no fishy taste or smell.

The key is to grill slowly and continue to apply marinade as the fish cooks.

I get rave reviews on this - most say "best Salmon I have ever had".

Big problem now is too many guests...... requesting Salmon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 12:24 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
I've eaten so much salmon that I just can't stand it anymore, unless it's raw or cold-smoked (Lox). I don't know why, but I don't ever want to taste a piece of cooked salmon again.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:22 PM

306 posts, read 364,956 times
If you're just looking for the benefits without having to eat fish, have your doctor look into Vascepa for you. It's a highly purified prescription EPA.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:27 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Started out thinking about fish that almost anyone would like. First suggestion is go out and order fish and chips. Usually the fish is a very mild cod. It's usually served with tartar sauce. I don't think I know anyone who won't eat this. Doesn't smell fishy either. It's a good place to start!

And you aren't cooking it!

Old 09-28-2016, 02:02 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,628 times
There are many ways to get rid of the fishy smell. Japanese like to use the misoyaki to marinate the fish while southern Chinese use ginger, green onion and Chinese parsley during cooking.

If there is an Asian food market in your vicinity, go buy some packed miso butterfish.

I am relieved that so many fellow posters don't like fish and/or other seafood. There has already been not enough fish in the ocean (most have been caught by the Chinese and Japanese fishing fleets). If hundreds of millions more have fish on their dining table once a week, its price would have jumped another ten-fold.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:32 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,041,107 times
Smile Black Sea Bass!!!

Not sure what part of the country you're from but if you have access to a good Chines restaurant that specializes in seafood, start there. Ask if they can prepare a whole black sea bass for you, a very common fish here on the east coast. Steamed or fried. To start out take the thickest pieces of flesh you can find to make sure you aren't going to get any bones. By the time you eat all of the choicest pieces you'll be dying to pick apart that entire fish. Guaranteed.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:57 PM

Most likely our fellow posters have never heard of Geoduck or ever seen it in the market. This clam-like seafood is farmed in the Pacific Northwest coast and has enriched a lot of Native Americans. It is a premium product and fetches high price in the East Asian market. The Geoduck export by US amounted at $74 million in 2015.

Duchess Kate just tasted it in Vancouver: Kate Middleton eats geoduck phallic clam on Canada tour (Glamour.com UK)

Old 09-29-2016, 05:32 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Most likely our fellow posters have never heard of Geoduck or ever seen it in the market...
I love the stuff - I eat it raw, as sushi. Most sushi bars refer to it as "Jumbo Clam."

Old 09-29-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I love the stuff - I eat it raw, as sushi. Most sushi bars refer to it as "Jumbo Clam."
For the trunk part, I love to eat it as sashimi -- dip it in shoyu and wasabi. But the body part is also good. Though too tough to eat it raw, it can be a yummy soup base.

However, the geoduck just looks like a male genital. Usually girls hate to prepare it.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:52 PM

Live Alaska King Crab is also a delicacy. It is hard to find the live one in the markets or restaurants in U.S. But it is available in many places all over East Asia. Usually in the seafood restaurants, there is a huge water tank that half dozen King crabs, ranging between 6-8 lbs., are dwelling in the tank.

A King Crab that is about 6 lbs cost about US$100+ in the restaurant. You can go by the fish tank, point at the one you like, and hold it up for photo-op with its legs and pinchers moving before sending it to the kitchen.

The best way to cook it is steamed with or without egg white.

In Hokkaido, there are crab specialty restaurants where you can order a combo of King crab, snow crab and horse hair crab.

Most likely the King Crabs are not caught in the water off Alaska but on the other side of the Bering Strait -- water north of Japan and east of Russia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink