Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 04:06 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times

Advertisements

I was also the kid who didn't like fish when I was little. I only ate fish sticks fried in butter because they didn't taste fishy. I grew up with a family that loved to go fishing, but I wouldn't eat any of the fish we caught.

Salmon and trout are VERY fishy fish. Raw fish? No, I certainly don't recommend it as an introduction to eating fish. Sushi? no, I don't recommend it at all either. I find any kind of trout is fishy also.

If you can buy fresh Cod, Haddock, Halibut or get your hands on Walleye, they aren't fishy fish. Just make SURE you carefully feel the fillets for bones. NOTHING will turn off an non-fish eater quicker than trying to pick tiny fish bones out of a mouth full of fish. Choking on a bone is not only dangerous, but it could turn you off on trying fish ever again.

As for cooking it, either dredge the fillets in flour, season with garlic powder and seasoning salt and fry them in butter, OR find a good fish batter recipe for deep frying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 08:21 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
I hate fish too.

Only fish I really liked was one I had at a hotel restaurant in Italy. Even being served with the head and tail still attached, it was so good, that it didn't gross me out. It was more sautéed with a very light coating. MMMmmmm good.

Other than that - no thanks.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:35 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Wow so many great posts. Thanks again everyone. I'm going to tally up the votes and go with the most recommended haha

It will definitely be at a restaurant though!

Here's the large recommendation list and count so far:

Halibut 10
Cod 9
Salmon 9
Haddock 8
Mahi Mahi 6
Tuna 6
Flounder 5
Shrimp 5
Catfish 4
Sole 4
Trout 4
Crab 3
Red Snapper 3
Tilapia 3
Grouper 2
Orange Roughy 2
Pollock 2
Wahoo (Ono) 2
Bluefish 1
Chilean Sea Bass 1
Clams 1
Crappie 1
Flatfish 1
Hake 1
Lake Perch 1
McDonald's Filet o Fish 1
Mussels 1
Redfish 1
Scallops 1
Shark Steak 1
Swai 1
Swordfish 1
Walleye 1

Last edited by Mr_Geek; 08-15-2016 at 10:13 AM..

Old 08-15-2016, 11:29 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
I love fish and eat it once a week or more. I also take a cod liver oil, fish oil, and flaxseed oil supplement every day.

Two of my favorite recipes are just taking a whole trout and putting olive oil on it and grill it over a charcoal grill with some wood chips for smoking.

I also love pan searing tuna in olive oil with salt and pepper corns. I cook it until it's rare in the center. It has more of a meaty texture. We eat it at least once a week.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:04 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
1) Try frozen fish sticks (serious). They don't have much taste and if you slightly overcook them and use ketchup, they just taste like chicken nuggets.

2) Make fried fish. Buy frozen talipia filets (they have a very mild taste). Defrost, wash, pat dry and then marinate in Lowery's Italian seasoning. After a few hours, pat off the excess dressing and dry in 1" of vegetable oil until both sides are very cooked (I mean you almost want a burned fish).

Obviously, these are not the 2 best methods of eating fish, but if you start here, you can progress to sushi (I guess you could eat Tuna rolls and douse in soy sauce as a start too).

Old 08-15-2016, 12:11 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,233,524 times
I dont like fish. Love lobster and shrimp, but cant stand fish.

That being said, every now and again I will get some flounder filets. Fry in butter, little salt and pepper, and I can enjoy that. Other than that, no fish for me.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:23 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Oh dear, I read your list. I'm a fish lover and I don't like halibut. Too chewy and boney and too easy for it to be cooked tough.

And I want to add another vote (or several, can I stack the deck?) for walleye. It's the most popular fish of MN and WI. Walleye dinners are the thing to do at area restaurants on Friday nights.

Make sure you go to a GOOD restaurant for your fish dinner, not some nasty chain, so that you know the chef is good and will know how to cook the fish properly. And please don't order it "breaded"!

Old 08-15-2016, 12:40 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
Mmmmm....walleye...and blue gill!! My favorites! But, OP is in California, so those are out.
I'd second flounder for being the mildest.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:50 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Yes, just because walleye is at the bottom of the list doesn't mean it isn't a superb fish. It's just unlikely that you will get the real deal unless you are living in the upper Midwest.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:13 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Yes, just because walleye is at the bottom of the list doesn't mean it isn't a superb fish. It's just unlikely that you will get the real deal unless you are living in the upper Midwest.
Keep in mind that is my list of the tally of the recommendations in this thread. It was recommended once only up until that point and was placed at the bottom alphabetically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink