Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 09:35 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times

Advertisements

How do you think they survive in the Middle East? Plenty of MRE's have been eaten over there by our military folks over the years. My cousin says many of the MRE's were much better than the food that was served to them in the mess hall. It's way warmer than 100 degrees there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 10:06 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
I have no idea what MREs are...and why it is so tough to type it out.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:21 AM

126,279 posts, read 19,048,524 times
I never heard of MRE and read through the whole thread to find what it stands for.Suddenly It popped up as Meals Ready to Eat ( MRE) ..I never bought that .

Old 08-16-2016, 10:27 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I have no idea what MREs are...and why it is so tough to type it out.
Those of us who have been in the military call them MREs, because the packages are stamped MRE on the outside.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:41 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
"There's all kinds of Youtube videos showing people opening and eating the old C-Rations from Korea/Vietnam. Smoking the cigarettes out of them.. Eating the chocolate.."

well, yeah...
If the cans aren't bulging or rusted through, the contents are likely edible.
Especially the chocolate. LOVE that stuff!
The pound cake... Oh, yeah, GOOD cake!
Ham and eggs... VERY few people liked that, I was one of them. I could always trade the cigarettes for a can.
Beef steak and gravy...
Many times I looked at what the chow hall had, and got a package of "C"s instead.
I sure would like to find a case of meals now, at a reasonable price.
I still have a P-38 around here somewhere...
My mouth is watering just thinking about them.
I came home from 'nam before the MREs (and the M-16) got there. Lucky me, I missed them both! Then.
But later, in the Reserve, they got me. I was not impressed with either of them.

Edit: I have to wonder about a discussion of MREs in "food and drink", though. Many of us would agree that they barely qualify as either!

Old 08-16-2016, 10:46 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I heard MRE's dont last as long if stored in temp over 80 degrees? instead of 3 years they might only last a year
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If they are no good over 80 degrees I suppose they havent been used in Iraq. Or anywhere outside the arctic.
Not being able to withstand years-long storage above 80 F (which was what the OP postulated) hardly precludes use in Iraq. If accurate, it only precludes years-long storage exposed to that heat.

But it's not accurate. MREs are designed to withstand months-long exposure to temperatures well above 80 F, and years at or below that temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I've never seen an MRE with dehydrated ingredients. If an MRE had dehydrated ingredients it wouldn't be a Meal Ready to Eat (MRE).
Many MREs I consumed had dehydrated pears/peaches/pineapple/etc. You could eat them right away - they were just crunchy instead of soft (and you might as well have - I sometimes soaked the damn things overnight, and they'd be mushy on the outside with crunchy centers). But then, I haven't had any in a quarter century, so I can't speak to today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnHawk View Post
MRE: Meals Rejected by Everyone
Meals Rarely Enjoyed
Meals Rejected by the Enemy
Meals Refusing to Exit
They were Meals Rejected by Ethiopians when I had them. This doesn't make much sense now, but in light of the Ethiopian famines of the 1980s, it was understood at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
How do you think they survive in the Middle East? Plenty of MRE's have been eaten over there by our military folks over the years. My cousin says many of the MRE's were much better than the food that was served to them in the mess hall. It's way warmer than 100 degrees there!
Again, the question wasn't 'Do MREs immediately disintegrate at high temperatures?' but 'Can they survive for years at high temperatures?'. The fact that a well-supplied modern military with a fully-developed supply chain uses them in a desert doesn't answer this question. (the answer is 'yes', but not because some U.S. Army troops have eaten MREs in Fallujah in July)

Oh - and even in boot camp, the mediocre chow they served us was a lot better than MREs.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:24 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Those of us who have been in the military call them MREs, because the packages are stamped MRE on the outside.
Oh, okay...thank you. I guess the original poster figures that everyone was in the military.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:17 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

Again, the question wasn't 'Do MREs immediately disintegrate at high temperatures?' but 'Can they survive for years at high temperatures?'. The fact that a well-supplied modern military with a fully-developed supply chain uses them in a desert doesn't answer this question. (the answer is 'yes', but not because some U.S. Army troops have eaten MREs in Fallujah in July)

Oh - and even in boot camp, the mediocre chow they served us was a lot better than MREs.
Like I said, they survive in the Middle East which is hotter than hell year round. They're designed to last for years in all kinds of weather. No one said anything about troops eating them in July in Fallujah.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:29 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
...They're designed to last for years in all kinds of weather...
Not quite true.

MRE Facts

Old 08-16-2016, 03:43 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,663,404 times
I lived on only C-rations for one year and lost 40 lbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink