Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 11:13 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
True, and that is why I have never owned or used a microwave. There is also new research showing that microwaves take much of the nutrition out of the food.
The microwave doesn't mysteriously take nutrition out of food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 12:50 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
I don't even know how to use the stove. When my wife destroyed the microwave it was touch and go as far as eating was concerned. That had to be the longest two weeks of my life.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:55 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot about bacon.

Microwave is very convenient for bacon. And neater!

It's the only way I make bacon. When my wife recently destroyed our microwave I had to pan fry my bacon. Even after getting directions on line I managed to screw it up. But, I'm up three or four hours before she is, so I'm on my own for breakfast.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:45 PM

129 posts, read 78,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post

Is there any simple microwavable food that you cook in the oven instead?
Everything - haven't owned a microwave in years. I won't go on a crazy tangent about how unhealthy I think microwave cooking is ...

Besides, my fabulous stainless steel professional oven cost a fortune - if I don't use it, DH will question my sanity (of course, he'll probably do that anyway ).

Old 08-27-2016, 04:01 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
I use a toaster oven for quick meals, no microwave in my home. I believe they emit radiation and would rather wait awhile. The food always tastes better, anyhow. And small ovens use little energy. I only use the regular oven for large items like pizzas and roasts, cookies, etc. If it's small enough to go into the convection oven, my feeling is I would rather save the money on energy cost. I have not used a microwave in over 15 years. My mom was weirded out by it at first. But once she read the research she ditched hers as well, as has most of my family.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:39 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
With food issues (onions - I'm allergic, husband hates them) I have to cook. And I don't use the microwave to cook. Even veggies -- I find the heat doesn't last. You put in frozen veggies, they come out piping hot, you plate them, take them to the table, sit down.... they're cold.

I use the microwave to heat up jarred baby food -- 10 seconds takes the chill off. (I use jarred baby food chicken or turkey to crush a pill in for a cat on daily meds), and I wrap tortillas in a damp towel, and microwave them to steam them. Other than that -- the microwave is the range hood, oven timer...

Old 08-27-2016, 05:34 PM

14,311 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Even veggies -- I find the heat doesn't last. You put in frozen veggies, they come out piping hot, you plate them, take them to the table, sit down.... they're cold.
That's because they are heating unevenly. Microwaves don't heat "from the inside out" as some people like to believe, they heat from the outside in. The outside can be VERY hot while the inside is still cold. Then the outside cools off and everything is now cold.

So heat your vegetables, give them a good stir (very important), cover them, and let them sit for 2-3 minutes so the heat can distribute evenly.

I actually do not cook anything in the microwave. I use it for things like softening or melting butter, heating a cup of water for tea (usually a make a whole pot using the teakettle on the stove top, but once in a while I want just one cup), and creating a warm, moist environment for bread dough to rise.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:22 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Baked potatoes. For some reason, they have a different texture that I prefer coming out of the oven instead of the microwave. It doesn't mean that I don't microwave them all the time -- but if I have planned ahead, then I pop those little puppies in the oven.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:29 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
I've begun broiling bacon in the oven -- I can keep an eye on it, turn it, and it comes out perfect almost every time, and when I do more than 4-6 pieces, it's much faster than the microwave. The microwave seems too uneven, given the different kinds of bacon, sugar content, thickness, etc. Either I burn them or they are half-cooked. Blech.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:35 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
That's because they are heating unevenly. Microwaves don't heat "from the inside out" as some people like to believe, they heat from the outside in. The outside can be VERY hot while the inside is still cold. Then the outside cools off and everything is now cold.

So heat your vegetables, give them a good stir (very important), cover them, and let them sit for 2-3 minutes so the heat can distribute evenly.

I actually do not cook anything in the microwave. I use it for things like softening or melting butter, heating a cup of water for tea (usually a make a whole pot using the teakettle on the stove top, but once in a while I want just one cup), and creating a warm, moist environment for bread dough to rise.
Hm. So heating veggies on the stovetop would take the same amount of time, with less fuss. I'll stick with that...

I also used the microwave for proofing. Boil a cup of water in there for a minute to heat the microwave, pop the dough in, and watch it rise...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink