Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:47 AM

323 posts, read 1,969,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktully View Post
I was just wondering how many cookbooks ya'll have and what's your favorite?
Just about 70 - I gave up counting after 2 shelves. Doesn't everyone have a bookcase in their kitchen? Lots of magazines as well.

Favorites are Fannie Farmer, "The Food of France", America's Test Kitchen's "Family Cookbook" and a couple of the Cooking Light annuals.

Maybe 10 to 15 get regular use but we've done individual meals where we used at least 4 of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 02:26 PM

932 posts, read 1,273,444 times
I have none. As in zero. lol

I do have a recipe box though- do I get any points for that? lol

Old 02-26-2008, 03:10 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wktully View Post
Yep, that's me - I'll curl up with a good cookbook just like I would a good fiction Hubby thinks I'm whacked My Mom was the same - she had over 100 cookbooks - used only a few of them - she just liked to read them.
Me too, girls! I do cook from some of them, although I'm incapable of following a recipe. One cookbook I use a fair amount for recipes is 365 Ways to Cook Pasta. It's no fun to read though. I love to read cookbooks that offer more than just recipes - such as Claudia Rodens'. The one I am reading now reads like an interesting history textbook with recipes included. Another great book (not by Roden) is called 1000 Years Over a Hot Stove.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:27 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,895 times
If you like to curl up and read cookbooks for fun, you definitely need to check out Nigella Lawson. I simply adore her writing style! Hers were the very first cookbooks I ever read in bed.

I honestly don't own a whole lot of cookbooks. I have the America's Test Kitchens Family Cookbook, a couple Nigella books, and 2 Alton Brown books (but those are more like science text books if you ask me), and a book reserved for family recipes. Other than that, I get my recipes from magazines like Cooks Illustrated or from cooking blogs.

If you haven't discovered the wonderful world of cooking blogs you really should. But that's a subject for another thread.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:15 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,024,412 times
I like to look through a bunch of different cookbooks, then come up with my own interpration. However, there is one cookbook that I follow to the T because her recipes are so spot on: Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking.

There's one other one I like a lot for specialty items: Bon Appetit's Favorite Restaurant Recipes

Old 02-27-2008, 02:22 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,808,588 times
hummmm I have never counted, my prized ones are a mexican cookbook published in 1904, and my betty crocker cookbook 1940's oh and a very old canning book it actually has recepies on how many jars you need to can a cow (beef) and how to can squirel too
I have my on grilling saw at work as we grill everything and all year long too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink