Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should plain tahini have any sort of bitter after taste?
Yes 1 8.33%
No 11 91.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 09:40 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Real hummus should not have tahini, it's a substitute. If you go to certain eatries that serve fresh hummus it is 100% chickpeas.

The difference is that fresh hummus is not as creamy, it's silkier and runnier. But the taste is much stronger and potent.

The hummus you get at the supermarkets have too much tahini which makes it tastes like a peanut butter in consistency.

Sample the real thing and it'll be hard to buy any hummus that's not 100% chickpeas.
Huh? Tahini is nothing more than ground sesame seeds, and it definitely IS a normal ingredient in hummus, along with chickpeas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 07:54 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,336,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I recently had a craving for tahini. I recall eating it years ago when I worked at a vegetarian restaurants, but haven't had it for years (except when its mixed in hummus).

I thought I would try to make some myself. I read a bunch of recipes on-line, then tried it. But it was super bitter! I figured that the sesame seeds I bought from the bulk bins had gone rancid (they sat in my cupboard for months before I used them).

So today I bought a jar from Whole Foods. And guess what? Its bitter!! The aftertaste is just completely bitter. I tasted it straight from the jar, and then I mixed it with olive oil, lemon, garlic, salt and pepper to make a salad dressing. I even added a bit of honey. Still bitter!

The expiration date is in 2018. I don't think WH would be selling rancid products... but now I don't know.

Maybe WH is just a cheap brand, and I need to buy a higher quality version of the stuff?

Before I return it, I thought I would try to see what others thought. I haven't eaten this stuff by itself for easily 15 years, so maybe I am just not remembering what it tastes like.
Did it have olive oil on top to keep the tahini to go rancid? Olive oil pressed from green olives is often bitter, like the green olives themseves.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:23 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
I haven't had it in a while, but I like it. Yes plain does taste bitter. I used to make a really good sauce called tahina. You mix the tahini with some garlic and lemon juice like one other poster listed. It is delish. It makes a good dip for falafel, and tastes good by itself. I just mixed it to my taste, but here is a recipe: Tahini Sauce - How to Make Middle Eastern Tahini Sauce

You can also use tahini to make an arabic dessert called helva. Actually who am I kidding, I never made this. You can buy big tubs of it and it is made from tahini. Chok full of calories, but oh so delicious. LEBANESE RECIPES: Sesame or tahini halva recipe - How to make sesame or tahini halva
Tahini / Halva | Buy Online at Persian Basket

Old 10-09-2016, 10:52 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
I only use tahini to make babaganoush.
I once read using tahini to polish wood furniture and floors is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink