U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:12 PM

323 posts, read 1,785,838 times

Advertisements

Thanksgiving day, 1987. We were in Friday Harbor, Washington for the long weekend and went to one of the harborfront restaurants that was staying open to catch the tourist $$$. All that they had was a buffet - dry turkey or dry ham. Not my idea of a great dinner so I asked the waitress if I could order something from their normal menu - even a burger would have been better than what they were doling out on the buffet line. I was impolitely informed that the buffet was the only game in town - take it or leave it. It had been a long day and I needed to eat so I took the ham (dry and salty) and was trying to eat enough to satisfy my stomache when I overheard the guy behind me complain about the options - to the same waitress - so she offered to get him a steak! I'm pretty sure he was a local but still....

I had a little chat with the manager after that. Our meals, such as they were, were free and I don't think that that waitress worked there much longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 02:52 PM

11,836 posts, read 24,987,892 times
We went to a restaurant called Red White & Blues a number of years ago. They had just come to the area & their specialty was ribs. We went inside & were seated. The hostess gave us menus & we waited 15 minutes for the waiter to appear. The waiter finally appeared. He took our drink order, 15 minutes later he brought us the wrong drinks. We had another waitress correct the order. Wait, wait, wait... apparently this kid was busy talking with his friends at another table. We were just about to get up & walk out when he shows up & asks us what we wanted to eat. We order & wait. The food was average. As we are eating the kids whips by the table to drop off the check. We weren't asked if we'd like more to drink, or even if we wanted dessert. When I got the credit card slip to sign I wrote in big letters, " ZERO " on the tip line with an asterisk. I then detailed out on the back of the slip why the waiter was a worthless POS. A friend of mine told me that at the end of each evening the manager goes through the receipts. It should've been an interesting evening for that guy. The restaurant isn't there any more.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:32 PM

286 posts, read 1,171,257 times
This was about 10 years ago, when I worked in NYC. We went to dinner in the East Village with my boss and co-workers and respetive spouses. The place was an "Asian Fusian" restaurant (still don't know what that means). Well, it turns out, it was also a popular transvestite bar and restaurant! While the men in the party were ogling the "babes", the girls were noticing that all was not as it seemed. After waiting for 30 minutes for our table (that was with a reso), we were seated. Our server arrived wearing a black negligee with a matching robe, and honestly...it looked better on him than it would have looked on me. Wanting to leave as quickly as we could, we ordered and waited for our food. The drinks kept coming, but no dinner. It took almost 90 minutes for our food to appear and when it did, it was cold and inedible. This was supposedly one of the hottest restaurants in town. I was just happy I wasn't paying. We ended up stopping for Pizza on our way home, to stave off starvation, since by now it was midnight and we were hungry. I've learned...avoid the hot spots. Stick with the tried and true!

Old 02-27-2008, 06:49 AM

859 posts, read 1,860,656 times
was going out for a nice dinner with Hubby.....went to this restaurant my hubby got told is the BEST!!

Sat down ( mind you this place is NOT busy yet because we got there EARLY)
She came right over taking our Drink order,,took 10 MINUTES to get

took another 10 minutes to GET our Order for Food.......
another 15-20 Minutes,,,,,the food comes ( It wasnt something major Burger and Fries for me and a Steak and fries for Hubby)

The food is NOT our Food we orderd! We tell this to the Waitres.. she told us Well THATS what you orderd.. I Explained I did NOT order FISH,, nor did my Hubby order Ribs ( he would have ate it but thats not the Point)

She goes and gets her Slip to see and low and behold its not OUR food...... ARHG! ( couple 2 tables away are rolling their Eyes, I asume it was there food !)
OKAY wait another 15 Minutes...... ( My tummy is by now growling!!)

She comes back and tells us * Well I hope this order will make you happy!*

I was like ( You gotta be kidding me!)

FOOD is undercooked ( I like NO pink and told her 2 times!! I want it well Done!!)

Hubbys steak is cooked all the way thru!
-------
Called her over again .....explaining our Order is not right again. She stares at us like she wanted to rip my throat out.

At this point she crabs the Plate and food is falling OF the Plate and on the Table and MY LAP!

I was PIOD now, I stud up and very loudly statet

This is THE WORST Place ever to eat. Food is LOUSY, Waitress are RUDE, and I will send MY Cleaning BILL to this Place.

Here comes the Manager ( no older then 20!!maybe 110 lbs wet) telling me to SIt down and explain what happend.... I told him I dont think so, I am DONE here. He tells me well YOU have to pay for this Food YOU orderd....... I told him I dont think so, I have NOT gotten it yet!

Then he gets INTO MY FACE.. and thats when Hubby gets up ( he is 6.11 and 300lbs) He is usuelly calm and just grinns at me when I get peod/ BUT anyway he gets up.
Grabs the GUY by the Arm pulling him our of my Face...
The guy of course wanted at first fight, but after looking at my Hubby decided it wasnt a Smart Choice( Smart Choice).
Hubby just camly told him, * Get in my Wife's face again, and you be picking youre A$$ up of the Floor*

We left never paid a Dime, I reported this Place to the BBB and the place was shot down, Soon after

Whats funny is that as I said there was maybe 2 other couples there.....so not busy. but the waitress had time to chat, and have fun just not for the Costumers

Old 02-27-2008, 07:33 PM

31 posts, read 83,318 times
Roach in my salad on my birthday at a snooty french restraunt! GROSS!!

Old 05-30-2008, 01:29 PM

5,296 posts, read 4,979,849 times
Nothing that bad,but the most recent thing I can recall is when we went to Houlihan's restaurant here near the mall. We were seated ok but after that we were pretty much ignored by the staff for a good 20 mins or so...so,we walked out

Old 05-30-2008, 09:34 PM

187 posts, read 599,697 times
Back when I lived on Long Island, I used to frequent a local diner that was very popular; the food was great, and it was rarely empty, even on weeknights. Then, for a period of about two months, the place closed for renovations, and I found myself jonesing for a nearby, walkable alternative. A friend recommended a local bar which she said had sweet potato fries (yum!), so I thought I'd give it a shot.

The first thing I noticed was that the place was very dark; the place was first and foremost a bar, so maybe that had something to do with it. I was the only person there, along with the waitress, who was actually very nice. I sat down at a booth, made my order, and started watching one of the little TVs that they had. At one point, I glanced down at my table, and I noticed a little ant-like bug crawling across it. I say "ant-like" because it was tiny, and a little harder to crush than most ants I've dealt with. Anyway, I look back up at the TV, then glance down again to notice another little bug, just like the first one. I looked more carefully, and found about eight more.

Finally, I'd had enough and just got up and moved to another booth. The waitress wordlessly helped me move everything over there (silverware, etc.). Thankfully, the new booth was bug-free. Ultimately, the food was OK, but I never went back there. I prefer a bug-free dining experience.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:36 PM

5,296 posts, read 4,979,849 times
Generally in diners and most places that aren't at least chain restaurants I sometimes see at least flies on the windowsills...yeck!

Old 05-31-2008, 03:37 PM

8,188 posts, read 21,767,384 times
I have been working in restaurants almost exclusively for the last fifteen years, so I can understand what the cooks, wait staff and other employees are going through so I cut them some slack (depending on the circumstances, lame service is still lame service). With that being said, my worst dining experience is do to the part of other patrons....and their screaming, crying, out of control children. Now, I am not talking about a four-month old baby (I expect them to cry, it's what they do), but older children like four, five, maybe seven years old running all over the restaurant, while the parents just sit there as if nothing is going on.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:42 PM

8,188 posts, read 21,767,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Generally in diners and most places that aren't at least chain restaurants I sometimes see at least flies on the windowsills...yeck!
I have never worked in a restaurant that did not have a few flies occasionally buzzing around. If that grosses you out then I don't know what to tell you. Eat at home, I guess.

By the way, if you really want to know how clean a kitchen is, check out the bathroom. A clean, kept bath room is a good sign that the kitchen is clean as well. Not the case 100% of the time as there are always exceptions, but generally a good rule of thumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink