U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 02:52 PM

14,072 posts, read 20,136,656 times

Advertisements

OMG I have the best/worst story. I'm a huge fan of Ruth Chris Steakhouse. We have been to them all over the states. We eat there at least once a month. Well, the bf and I were at the one in Orlando, Fl about 3 years ago. We were drinking and appetizers were fine. Once they brought out the entrees, it was a totally different story. The bf ordered his strip medium rare and I ordered mine medium. Well my first steak was way to rare for me so I sent it back. The second back came out the same. Finally the manager had come out with the THIRD steak and very cockily said "I guarantee you this is correct" (I knew it wasn't going to be and the bf was already done eating as this had taken almost 25 minutes so far) Well I cut into the steak and it was actually PURPLE from being so raw/undercooked. The manager's face was priceless. I thought he was going to fall on the floor!! I finally stood up and said "that's it we are out of here" and I also told him "You need to fire right now whoever is cooking those steaks as they just made you and the company look like aholes" and left and went to Mortons for my dinner. Didn't have to pay one cent and the bill was already at $125 at least. Needless to say, I wrote Ruths Chris and never got a response. I guess they didn't believe my story could actually happen in their restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 02:54 PM

16,227 posts, read 21,978,457 times
It was the grand opening of Logans... so I`m going to give them a break for that reason.. but, I ordered a steak well done. It was bloody in the middle when they brought it to me, so I ask the waitress to take it back and cook it some more. I don`t like to do this just because you never know... so she brought it back out to me, and I`m sorry but I just can`t eat a steak thats even a little bloody, or pink. To me, thats NOT well done. When she came back around to ask if everything was ok...I told her no, it wasn`t. I showed her my steak, and she ask me if I wanted her to take it back. I said,"no...its ok." So...they gave me my salad for free.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:57 PM

5,296 posts, read 4,968,166 times
I noticed alot of those chain restaurants you are referencing are generally run/staffed by young college kids,the next step up from fast food. So what do you expect,cooked meat or something?

Old 05-31-2008, 11:18 PM

7,695 posts, read 12,838,929 times
I choked on a bay leaf that was left in the chili at a nice
restaurant in Chapel Hill, NC . I actually threw up at the table during the choking. After all that we explained to the manager what had happened and they acted like no big deal. They gave us a free poster !!!
I almost died but I got a free poster LOL
My sensitive teens love to remind me about the whole embarressing
incident.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I choked on a bay leaf that was left in the chili at a nice
restaurant in Chapel Hill, NC . I actually threw up at the table during the choking. After all that we explained to the manager what had happened and they acted like no big deal. They gave us a free poster !!!
I almost died but I got a free poster LOL
Now that sounds Dang unprofessional! There are people that sue for less than that! Heck when I worked at the hotel restaurant the manager would constantly be on edge and bending over backwards for customers for any little thing...which of course made it more stressful for us on the staff.

But like I said it shows their professionalism,I've gotten things comped before for mistakes on their part and yes I've even had the waitress do nothing but give a squeaky incincere 'sorry' and walk away also.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:53 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,653,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
OMG I have the best/worst story. I'm a huge fan of Ruth Chris Steakhouse. We have been to them all over the states. We eat there at least once a month. Well, the bf and I were at the one in Orlando, Fl about 3 years ago. We were drinking and appetizers were fine. Once they brought out the entrees, it was a totally different story. The bf ordered his strip medium rare and I ordered mine medium. Well my first steak was way to rare for me so I sent it back. The second back came out the same. Finally the manager had come out with the THIRD steak and very cockily said "I guarantee you this is correct" (I knew it wasn't going to be and the bf was already done eating as this had taken almost 25 minutes so far) Well I cut into the steak and it was actually PURPLE from being so raw/undercooked. The manager's face was priceless. I thought he was going to fall on the floor!! I finally stood up and said "that's it we are out of here" and I also told him "You need to fire right now whoever is cooking those steaks as they just made you and the company look like aholes" and left and went to Mortons for my dinner. Didn't have to pay one cent and the bill was already at $125 at least. Needless to say, I wrote Ruths Chris and never got a response. I guess they didn't believe my story could actually happen in their restaurant.

It seems like a lot of normally good restaurants have poor quality/service in Orlando. It seems like the restaurants operators and/or staff just don't care about pleasing the customers since they're probably tourists who won't be back soon anyway. Sad, isn't it.

I can't believe that no one at Ruths Chris responded to your complaint. That's really pathetic!

Old 06-01-2008, 03:02 PM

12 posts, read 63,475 times
My worst experience: First we waited an hour to be seated, then while walking to the table past a kitchen entrance, someone drops a plate that shatters and flings glass shards into my leg. We are seated next to a soccer team of rowdy 10 year olds. After waiting 15 minutes for a waiter (which gave me time to pick the glass shards out of my leg, though I used up the napkins on blood), we told the waitress of the incident (All she said is "Oh, I'm sorry") and we asked for another seat where we could hear each other without yelling. We were told that our names would go on the end of the list and the wait was now 1.5 hours. We should have left, but didn't. Miserable all the way around. I gave the restaurant another chance a couple years ago, and it was alright, but my husband refuses to ever go there again.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:46 PM

2,894 posts, read 7,855,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I used to love to go out to eat. Over the last few years though I have enjoyed it less and less because of the poor quality and/or service, prices, etc. I am enjoying cooking at home more and more. DH and I were talking about some of the dining out doozies that we have lived through (without killing anyone). What are your stories?
My worst dining experience was one night I was at Shari's Restuarant (similar to Denny's) at around 10:30-11pm and I asked my server politely that if she had a moment could she get me a refill and she just flat out yelled at me and had an attitude at me and my face immediately turned red and I can feel steam coming out of my ears, a couple minutes later when my server gives me my lemonade she apologizes for her attitude but she also had the nerve to tell me she doesn't like it when people are bothering her while she's helping another patron but I did wait until she was done and I didn't want to be ignored, she should've been paying closer attention to her customers than she was, sadly she was the only server available that night, since she did apologize I did tip her a dollar.

The service there sucks and the servers take forever getting to you and it wasn't uncommon to wait over a half hour just for them to take your order even when the restaurant wasn't busy, I haven't been there since last fall and I don't have any desire to go back unless if I go with a group of friends.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:52 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,194,930 times
We went to a Chinese restaurant once.

We go in and order. My wife orders one thing, and I order something else. About two minutes later, the waiter returns from the kitchen and says in pidgin English, "Chef say too much trouble. Order something else." After that my wife and I always referred to the restaurant as the "Too Much Trouble."

Old 06-01-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
My worst dining experience was one night I was at Shari's Restuarant (similar to Denny's) at around 10:30-11pm and I asked my server politely that if she had a moment could she get me a refill and she just flat out yelled at me and had an attitude at me and my face immediately turned red and I can feel steam coming out of my ears, a couple minutes later when my server gives me my lemonade she apologizes for her attitude but she also had the nerve to tell me she doesn't like it when people are bothering her while she's helping another patron but I did wait until she was done and I didn't want to be ignored, she should've been paying closer attention to her customers than she was, sadly she was the only server available that night, since she did apologize I did tip her a dollar.

The service there sucks and the servers take forever getting to you and it wasn't uncommon to wait over a half hour just for them to take your order even when the restaurant wasn't busy, I haven't been there since last fall and I don't have any desire to go back unless if I go with a group of friends.
People like that should not be waitresses and just get out of the business.
When I worked in retail and I got to the point where customers were 'bothering' me,I knew that was a sign to hang it up.
I knew I'd be doing a disservice to customers by being nasty.

Last edited by StuckPA; 06-01-2008 at 05:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink