U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,034 times

Advertisements

Grandy's in Garland, Texas - May 2008
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 06:35 PM

3,581 posts, read 9,018,395 times
I have had a number of them. I don't really know which was worst.

Toronto, 1984 - chinese restaurant server me a chunk of boiled glass in the rice. - big fight in kitchen with pots and pans thrown, fired cook, free meal....no appetite to finish anything after a mouthfull of glass.

Carrows chain location- Austin 1997 - family meal, wifes food undercooked and cold, daughter gets wrong entree, wifes meal replaced with another cold plate, wife's third plate burned on bottom and cold in middle. Cashier made the mistake of asking how everything was and got an earful. - free meal, never returned.

Thai restaurant - Herndon 2006 - 45 minute wait for menus, 30 more minutes before order was taken, food arrived cold, drink orders forgotten, two entrees incorrect, never a refill of drinks, no followup at table, finally got check and left very small tip - under 5% and manager followed up out to parking lot complaining tip was too small and we had to leave more. We responded service was too bad and we would not have left that much, but one person was too afraid to leave nothing.

Another just to keep in with some of the other bug posts, but this was a early date with now wife so it did not seem so bad at the time, just funny. She takes me to hot spot renowned for good mexican food. While waiting for meal to arrive, small cockroach dances along window frame next to table until she cannot ignore it any longer and squashes it with a menu. She was mortified that a place she recommended had a roach, and one that would taunt her so blatantly.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:01 PM

2,897 posts, read 7,873,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
People like that should not be waitresses and just get out of the business.
When I worked in retail and I got to the point where customers were 'bothering' me,I knew that was a sign to hang it up.
I knew I'd be doing a disservice to customers by being nasty.
I currently work in retail (I sure can't wait to get out of retail) and I've dealt with alot of annoying customers and alot of really mean and nasty customers but I've always tried being as nice and polite as I can and I do feel that my good attitude and politeness might enlighten the customer's mood.

I later found out that this waitress who was mean to me got fired from her job and she was working at Wal-Mart later on!

Old 06-02-2008, 07:26 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,572,093 times
I just had a not so "nice" dinner experience (about 1 month ago.)
My husband and I had decided to "treat" ourselves, going for dinner and some cocktails into an upper scale restaurant in Vero Beach, right across from the ocean.
So, we go in, and there was a little wait time.
My husband gave his name, and we were waiting to be called.
("Funny" thing...there were PLENTY of tables and seats empty.....)
So, we are standing there with a crowd of senior citizens, waiting to be seated.
Well, finally the manager came over, and told us to just follow him...trying to place us all on the same tables, he had pushed together.
We had to tell him, that we were NOT with the same party of the senior citizens......and we all started to laugh. (It was an obvious honest mistake, and communication error)

So, we were told, that we are welcome to sit at the bar, to have our dinner there. (Well, closer to the drinks.....why....SURE )
(Plenty of tables and seats are STILL empty at that point )

So, we went ahead and ordered our drinks.
Husband gets upset and very annoyed, when they served us our drinks, touching the glass by the rim....where our lips would end up. Yuck!
So, he requests a new set of glasses (stare by the waitress...puzzled).

Our food is ordered, and served.....and it had to be the worse dinner for us in a long time.
Beef Wellington (knots, fat and grizzle in the meat, the pastry totally soggy....yuck)
My Fillet Mignon was absolutely horrible, loaded with grizzle, silver skin and "tough".
I asked the waitress, what grade beef it was (Choice or Prime) because at that point, my guess was, that it had to be amongst the lowest grades of "Choice" I encountered in a long time, plus, that it wasn't trimmed "restaurant style".
She didn't even know!
She left, and went around, asking, what kind of beef they serve.
She came back, and told us that they only serve the "Best"....Prime...(with the price tag to mach it! )
I told her, that there was NO WAY that it was Prime.

Long story short...after talking to the manager (he insisted, that we were "wrong" ) we had to pay the full price of the meal, and all what was said was: "I will inform the kitchen manager about it".

Well...this incident has several consequences (for them)
First, some CD members know, what I do for a living....second, I work with the public.
Several customers of mine asked me already about that place, my dining experience and I told them the story.
Needles to say, based on my story and recommendation....they won't be going there to eat.

But a remark on the humorous side...the drinks were good.
(Order it by the bottle, open the bottle yourself, and request a straw......ROTFL )

Old 06-02-2008, 07:47 AM

362 posts, read 1,534,470 times
10th anniversary, dh and I went to a 5 star place here in Dallas. Food was okay, not phenomenal, but so far so good. Near the end of our ridiculously overpriced (we expected expensive for 5 stars, but this was nuts when given the lack of inventiveness and quality of the food) meal this older woman comes over, puts her hands in the center of our table, leans into us and loudly says "you will be leaving now!" DH and I just looked at each other and altho in my head I was saying "WTF" I looked back, smiled and said, "we'll leave when we are finished." She cursed, stormed off and came back a few minutes later essentially repeating the scenario. On the way out we complained to the manager. While talking to him, this woman came up, interrupted us, and said we'd been cursing AT HER. The poor manager was so rattled. He had no idea who she was, but seemed to affiliated with some big company who reserved a portion of the restaurant for the night...and she wanted the portion we were in rather than the one she was given...so she took it upon herself to clear it out on her own! We under the impression that she worked for the restaurant due to how bossy she was with us and also the staff. The manager assured us she was in no way a representative of his place. In the end, its an anniversary we'll never forget. To the manager's credit, he was so upset by this other "patron's" behavior that he comped the whole meal, champagne and all.

Then there was the episode of food poisoning at a popular steak house and finding fire ants in my soup at a Chinese place in town.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:01 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,623,176 times
Funny thread! 3 incidents for me:

Incident #1) Long time ago, friend and I were having lunch at a tiny hole-in-the-wall place. There was no public restroom. Partway into our lunch, my friend started looking a little queasy. "Ooo I feel sick," she said. "Ooo I feel really sick," she repeated a minute or so later. I flagged our waitress and asked if my friend, who was now looking quite woozy, could use the bathroom. "Sorry," said the waitress. "Bathroom is for employees only".

Within 5 minutes, barf exploded from my friend's mouth. I jumped but wasn't quite able to avoid it all. I had to walk home with it on my skirt and sweater. Needless to say, we did NOT clean up the booth. She should have let us use the bathroom, darnit. Oh, my friend's parting words to me that day were, "Ahhh I feel much better now ".

Incident #2) Upscale rib restaurant in midtown Manhattan, mid-80s. This was *the* place for ribs. Waits were typically 2-3 hours and well worth it. Tables were packed VERY close together. Restaurant had "bone bowls" on every table. As you finished your ribs, you put the bones in the bowl (stainless steel and tall enough to hide the bones) and someone would collect the bowls every now and then.

Well, one night, while there with co-workers, a server collected our bowl along with the bowls from several other tables. Oops! He tripped and bone-bowls clattered all over the table next to ours. Gnawed-on bones spilled out onto the plates and laps of the people at that table . Here's a testament to how good the ribs were: the folks at that table merely brushed the bones away and kept on eating!

Incident #3) Again, midtown Manhattan but this time, a little hole-in-the-wall joint. Husband and I went in because the menu outside looked appealing. We noticed that even though it was lunchtime, the place was empty. "Lucky us!" we thought. "No waiting!" We were seated right away.

Our waitress came over to take our order, but just then, I felt the hairs on my leg prickle. I scratched. I felt the tickle again, scratched and looked -- it was a huge c-roach crawling on my leg ! I screamed and brushed it off.

Our waitress, bless her heart, smashed it with her shoe, then without missing a beat said, "Dang, that happens all the time. Now what can I get you?"

We couldn't get out of there fast enough .

Old 06-02-2008, 10:06 PM

5,296 posts, read 4,983,552 times
Gotta love them 'hole in the walls'

Old 06-03-2008, 03:08 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,177,591 times
I always watch out for aisian restaurants because some of them score pretty low on food preparation and storeage on inspections.Then mexican restaurants also. I have a friend who inspoects them for a living.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:07 PM

540 posts, read 663,822 times
In 2000 while waiting to catch the ferry in Bremerton, WA we stopped in a, yes, hole-in-the-wall, Chinese place for a quick bite. Four adults and 13-year-old son. While waiting to place our order, son says "When did rice start to move?" and points to the little white things on the carpet under the table across from us. MAGGOTS. Totally grossed us out, and boy did we scoot in a hurry!

Old 06-05-2008, 09:51 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,572,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDreams View Post
...........son says "When did rice start to move?" and points to the little white things on the carpet under the table across from us. MAGGOTS.....
Arrrrggghhhhh.....UNBELIVABLE!
Yuck.....I think, THAT would gross me out, completely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink