Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 01:41 PM

1,949 posts, read 6,432,662 times

Advertisements

how would you compare the hot flavor of Mexican cuisine with the hot flavor of Thai , Lao , Korean , China?

is Mexican food mild in comparison to authentic Thai?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 03:29 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,390,179 times
That's kind of a broad stroke don't you think?

If you are just talking about just heat and not flavor it all depends on the type of peppers and the amount.

The type of cuisine means nothing.

That being said, there are way hot foods in both cuisines. Yucatan style dishes use a lot of Habaneros. Thai can be quite hot. Szechuan (Chinese) can also be quite hot. I can only talk about heat, flavor is subjective.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:06 PM

19,358 posts, read 27,562,622 times
M6ch too generalized a question, but I'll say one thing. Typically, mexican heat is instant and stays at the same level throughout the entire dish. Many Asian (particularly Thai and Korean) hace used peppers where the heat feels mild initially, but builds to burning as you eat your way thru the dish.

We learned this when we visited Thailand. We would order spicy, and be disappointed for our first few bites. But the heat would build as we continued eating.

And when we lived in mexico, we learned that most mexican food isn't hot and spicy. Certain regions do use a lot of hot peppers, but not most.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:17 PM

16,346 posts, read 30,049,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
how would you compare the hot flavor of Mexican cuisine with the hot flavor of Thai , Lao , Korean , China?

is Mexican food mild in comparison to authentic Thai?

You are asking for generalizations and that is what you will get.

I have never had any Mexican dish that would compare with the heat that you will find in some Thai dishes. Not one dish, period. The Thai heat seems to dissipate more quickly.

As for Chinese, that depends on the regional food. Cantonese generally lacks heat. Some of the Sicuan dishes however are extremely hot.

Do remember that in a lot of Asian restaurants, they provide you with your own supply of Thai peppers, chile paste, chile oil and the like so that you can make it as hot as you want. Often, the underlying dish is rather bland.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:10 PM

48,253 posts, read 34,376,230 times
I find Thai and Laotian food hotter than Mexican in general. But that's what I eat locally, it's probably different in different locales. PLUS, I cook the Mexican food so it's as warm as I like it. Nothing sticks out on the Latin side of making me remember how hot it was, plenty on the Thai/Lao side is quite rememberable for the pain.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-09-2016, 03:04 AM

16,346 posts, read 30,049,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I find Thai and Laotian food hotter than Mexican in general. But that's what I eat locally, it's probably different in different locales. PLUS, I cook the Mexican food so it's as warm as I like it. Nothing sticks out on the Latin side of making me remember how hot it was, plenty on the Thai/Lao side is quite rememberable for the pain.
Now if you are expanding it to Latin dishes, that is a whole other discussion.

I have been to a couple of food stands in Toronto run by recent immigrants from Trinidad and Tobago that were as hot hot as anything that I have had from Thailand. They have a real love for habenero peppers. That came at a time when I thought jalapenos were hot ...

Old 10-09-2016, 05:35 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
When I think of really hot I do think Thai because it seems to me the food is actually cooked using the hot peppers. When I think of Mexican, both in Mexico and in the USA it is more the sauce itself that carries the heat. The actually foods are not that hot. At least this has been our experience. The subject is very general thus there are always going to be exceptions.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Now if you are expanding it to Latin dishes, that is a whole other discussion.

I have been to a couple of food stands in Toronto run by recent immigrants from Trinidad and Tobago that were as hot hot as anything that I have had from Thailand. They have a real love for habenero peppers. That came at a time when I thought jalapenos were hot ...
I had to look up the scoville chart to compare, and the Caribbean habanero is hotter than the more common types; otherwise habaneros and thai are about the same.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:39 AM

23,262 posts, read 23,621,950 times
Mexican and spicy Asian (Thai) are some of my favorite cuisines. Started eating Mexican as a youngster in the cafeteria at school (e.g. bean and cheese burritos, tacos) and Thai as a college student at UCLA in the 80's in Southern California.

I find Thai overall to be much hotter. I had a spicy Thai fried rice once that made me sweat like crazy. I actually like my Mexican food on the milder side.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:54 AM

I had *medium* thai that blistered my lips.

Funny, but while in Thailand, I don't remember any spicy food, but I think it was arranged that way.

My husband's exwife is Thai, and they cook some spicy food, it's really good. They pick the thai chilis and just eat them....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink