U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 04:09 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,041,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
I hope you all don't mind a guy cook chiming in...I also always see LeCreuset at TJMaxx and Marshals at great prices.

My preference for a Dutch oven, at a fraction of the price, would be old fashioned cast iron bought at a discount store. Otherwise, get the very best and if that means Le Creuset to you, you'll never regret it.

I've been cooking on top-of-the-line All Clad for so many years now, I wouldn't use anything else. It was expensive, and there are also some European brands in the same league that are good too, but I've never regretted paying a high price to know I have the best. All Clad cooks so much better and looks great hanging on the pot rack.

For burned on crud, I don't throw the pan away. I take the pan out in the back yard and use spray-on oven cleaner on it a few times until most of it lifts off with the hose.

Your right, I have seen it at TJ Maxx as well (TK Maxx in the UK). AND in most locations they have layaway so you can pay it off over a month.

I have a couple pieces of Chantal as well which is enamel on steel but I wouldn't trade my Le Creuset for anything. I have alot of pieces.

I used to work for a gourmet kitchen store, the owner got mad at the sales rep for Le Creuset and put it all on 50% off in spite which was against their rules. I got a bunch of it then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 05:15 PM

3,367 posts, read 9,867,217 times
There is a Le Crueset shop at the Round Rock outlets, and one colour is always on sale.

The salesman is French and absolutely lovely to talk to....fun to visit even if you don't buy anything!

But I love my LC pans, I only have a few as they are too heavy for everyday use. Tho they have just brought out a stainless steel range....

Old 02-24-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
There is a Le Crueset shop at the Round Rock outlets, and one colour is always on sale.

The salesman is French and absolutely lovely to talk to....fun to visit even if you don't buy anything!

But I love my LC pans, I only have a few as they are too heavy for everyday use. Tho they have just brought out a stainless steel range....
I was glad to see they had brought out an enamel on steel line of stock pots, those are nice. I LOVE the dutch ovens, I have one round and one oval that can go in either the oven or stove top AND are nice enough to serve in.

I prefer cookware that is pretty, like LC and Chantal. I have had one oc my Chantal pans for 20 years. I accidently boiled all the water out of it when I was sterilizing nipples when my daughter was a baby, it turned them to ash but the pan was fine after I cleaned it up.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:33 PM

3,704 posts, read 9,099,206 times
Well, thanks so much for everyone's inputs! I don't shop at TJ Maxx/Marshall's much - we just got Marshall's in these parts and I don't usually see much I like at TJ Maxx (I'm more of a Ross gal!). I'll check them out next time I'm nearby. I passed up an opportunity to buy one at Tuesday Morning last year and I have been kicking myself ever since!

Southdown - been meaning to get up to the RR outlets, I'll check that out too. I love a good french accent!

I would use good old cast iron, but they don't recommend it for glass top stoves and I don't have the patience to get them nicely seasoned anyway.

I might just buy one of the smaller knock off's - Penney's had a 3 1/2 qt on sale and see if I like it. Once you get hooked on good cookware, it's hard to settle for anything less.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:23 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,599,456 times
I saw some sage green at IKEAS I dont think it is le cruset....but I too have my eye on them beauties.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:36 AM

I saw a heart shaped baker with lid one time AND a baker with a lid in the shape of a duck. Of course they could be used as sauce pans as well.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:38 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,164,204 times
Sometime last year I posted about needing new cookware and a long thread ensued. Le Creuset was mentioned, and I thought to myself, wow it is so expensive, but it looks so good, and everyone seems happy with it.
I ended up buying a couple Le Creuset. Then the spouse gave me a couple more for Christmas. (I already *had* a dutch oven, and now I have two--I couldn't trade it in for something else, I liked it too much.)
I do love them. I also bought a stainless steel copperbottomed pan but I hardly ever use it, I prefer the enamel. The heaviness of the pieces does not seem to bother me that much, maybe this is because my work triangle is convenient.
I see LC on sale, especially at Tuesday Morning--but never the colors I like.
(I like the darker blue.)

Old 02-26-2008, 12:12 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,599,456 times
I like them all it would be so hard to choose a color. I would have one of every color if I could lol

Old 02-26-2008, 04:51 PM

My kitchen colors used to be only cobalt blue and white so my LC is all white with the Chantal being cobalt blue.

Well now my kitchen has a wider array of colors, I could use the red or the green in my kitchen now. I love those colors.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:49 AM

Betty Crocker - Find Cookware, Small Appliances, Cutlery, Kitchen Tools, Bakeware, Tableware, Barware, Storage products and more. (http://www.bettycrockerstore.com/default.aspx - broken link)

You can do a search on this site and it has some good prices and a pretty wide array of the colors and styles, even that heart shaped piece that I like so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink