U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 02:58 PM

42,837 posts, read 77,194,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Luckily, I never read that, so my cast iron skillets work as well on my glass and ceramic top ranges as they ever did on any gas, electric, or wood stoves I used them on.
I do tend to read too much for my own good...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
I use Calpholon Professional Non-stick on my Dacor cooktop, and have never had any problem at all with cooking or with scratching. Cleanup is a breeze. The razor blade is also great. If you've ever had crud stuck on a mirror, you use a razor blade to get it off. They don't scratch the mirrors. It really helps getting off sugar burned foods. That, plus the cream cleaners that are made for smooth tops.
I might look for this Calpholon cookware. Perhaps a simpler version of it. The tri-ply sets are pretty expensive, unless you find a great sale or happen to stumble across them in a discount store. After all, gotta put something in the fancy pots, too!

Thank you.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:14 PM

323 posts, read 1,786,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
High and Off only?! It doesn't sound like you're kiddin'... How could that be?! I think I saw more than two settings on the knobs, for cryin' out loud! I'm not looking forward to this...
There are nominally an infinite number of settings but the way that those heat settings are attained is by cycling between full power and off. Think of the way that most home heating systems work - you set the thermostat and the system attempts to keep the temperature at your setting while using hot air (or water) that is always the same temperature. It cuts in or out when it senses the temperature at the thermostat is out of range. That's how this cooktop works. Contrast that with a gas range where the amount of energy being supplied varies by the amount of gas you dial up. You get it where you want it and the energy being supplied is constant, not fluctuating in order to achieve some "average".

Once again, I don't believe that all of the smooth top ranges work this way and almost all of my criticism of this type of range is directed at those that do.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapetacoma View Post
There are nominally an infinite number of settings but the way that those heat settings are attained is by cycling between full power and off. Think of the way that most home heating systems work - you set the thermostat and the system attempts to keep the temperature at your setting while using hot air (or water) that is always the same temperature. It cuts in or out when it senses the temperature at the thermostat is out of range. That's how this cooktop works. Contrast that with a gas range where the amount of energy being supplied varies by the amount of gas you dial up. You get it where you want it and the energy being supplied is constant, not fluctuating in order to achieve some "average".

Once again, I don't believe that all of the smooth top ranges work this way and almost all of my criticism of this type of range is directed at those that do.
Thanks for the explanation. Hard for my technically challenged mind to imagine it...

I think this is the darn thing: JBP84DMBB - GEĀ® 30" Free-Standing Electric Convection Range - Features And Photos

I see others don't have the word "convection" in their name... Gonna go read the manual.

Yeah, the problem's been solved. Doesn't paste well, but decided to post it for others' benefit. Even though I don't particularly want stainless steel, it seems the only really safe bet.

The following information will help you choose cookware which will give good performance on glass cooktops.
Stainless Steel:
recommended
Aluminum:
heavy weight recommended
Good conductivity. Aluminum residues
sometimes appear as scratches on the
cooktop, but can be removed if cleaned
immediately. Because of its low melting
point, thin weight aluminum should not
be used.
Copper Bottom:
recommended
Copper may leave residues which can
appear as scratches. The residues can be
removed, as long as the cooktop is
cleaned immediately. However, do not let
these pots boil dry. Overheated metal can
bond to glass cooktops. An overheated
copper bottom pot will leave a residue
that will permanently stain the cooktop
if not removed immediately.
Porcelain Enamel Covered Cast Iron:
recommended
As long as the cookware is covered
completely with porcelain enamel, this
cookware is recommended. Caution is
recommended for cast iron cookware
that is not completely covered with
smooth porcelain enamel, as it may
scratch the glass ceramic cooktop.
Glass-ceramic:
usable, but not recommended
Poor performance. May scratch the
surface.
Stoneware:
usable, but not recommended
Poor performance. May scratch the
surface.
Home Canning Tips:
Be sure the canner is centered over the
surface unit.
Make sure the canner is flat on the
bottom.
Use recipes and procedures from
reputable sources. These are available
from manufacturers such as Ball® and
Kerr® and the Department of Agriculture
Extension Service.
To prevent burns from steam or heat,
use caution when canning.
Flat-bottomed canners are recommended.
Use of water bath canners with rippled
bottoms may extend the time required
to bring water to a boil.
Check pans for flat bottoms by
using a straight edge.
Pans with rounded, curved, ridged
or warped bottoms are not
recommended.
Use only flat-bottomed woks.
Wok Cooking
We recommend that you use only a flat-bottomed
wok. They are available at your local retail store.
Do not use woks that have support rings.
Do not use round bottom woks. You
could be seriously burned if the wok
tipped over.

Last edited by sierraAZ; 02-25-2008 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-26-2008, 09:40 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,598,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post

...The tri-ply sets are pretty expensive, unless you find a great sale or happen to stumble across them in a discount store.
My first tri-clad piece was a Chef's pan made by All-Clad. It is really a flat bottom wok. It cost about $140. I originally bought it for stir fry but was soon using it for most everything.

Then I lucked out and found two tri-clad sets with the Martha Stuart brand at K-Mart on sale when they were closing out that line. I think I paid less than $70 for all of it.

Recently I discovered the Tramotina Tri-clad line carried by many dealers including WalMart. I bought an 8 quart pot with a cover and pasta strainer for less than $60. I saw a set for $140 on the WalMart site. I didn't investigate it, because I don't need any more cookware, but if it's true tri-ply from top edge all around it's an outstanding deal. (some tri-ply is just on the bottom)

All of the stuff I use is equivalent quality with the same heavy construction, cast handles, and large rivets. I can't tell any difference in either construction nor performance between any of it, including the All Clad which cost several times more than the other brands.

Now, I use nothing buy tri-clad cookware (and cast iron for frying). Everything I had previously used, including some Copper Bottom Revere, and a couple of good stainless steel pots with thick aluminum bottoms, has either been given away, thrown out, or been used to upgrade the cookware in my camper.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:51 AM

979 posts, read 3,488,654 times
I like it. I have been able to keep it fairly clean. Thanksgiving was tough though. With all of that cooking it took me weeks to scrub off the food that overfowed out of the pot and burned into the stove.
I thought it would never come off. I was sweating bullets for a min there. But it came off. All good! Just know you can only use glass top cleaner and it works pretty well, I must say!

Old 02-26-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Recently I discovered the Tramotina Tri-clad line carried by many dealers including WalMart. I bought an 8 quart pot with a cover and pasta strainer for less than $60. I saw a set for $140 on the WalMart site. I didn't investigate it, because I don't need any more cookware, but if it's true tri-ply from top edge all around it's an outstanding deal. (some tri-ply is just on the bottom).
Since cookware quality and specs have never bothered my mind in the past (and my mind IS bothered by many things ), I'm pretty sure it won't be too important in the future, either. That's just not something I feel like spending big bucks on. I'm mostly worried not to ruin the stove and of course would like to be able to cook something after all. Those people saying you can only boil water on the pretty top didn't sound assuring at all.

I take it this Tramotina Tri-clad cookware has flat bottoms...? I'll check it out.

Sounds like you REALLY cook, Freddy! Thanks a lot for sharing.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:37 PM

Default Tramontina

Apparently this Tramontina is a pretty good brand and is sold at Sam's Club under their label, Member's Mark. Guess that's why it's available at Wal-Mart.

Cooks Illustrated Bulletin Board: Sams Club tri clad cookware? - View Post

I'm not a member of Sam's (remember getting a day pass once, though... might try again), but this reminds me to check what Costco has, too. Whatever they put the Kirkland label on tends to be pretty good.

It does get pretty consistent nice reviews. Only can't quite figure the "no high heat" deal... I like high heat, particularly when in a hurry. Can't figure if the bottoms are totally flat. The set can probably be found in the store, too. Will inspect it personally. :-)

Tramontina 10-Piece 18/10 Stainless Steel Cookware Set Reviews - Walmart.com

Last edited by sierraAZ; 02-26-2008 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-26-2008, 02:18 PM

5,082 posts, read 12,598,438 times
That link above for the Tramotina at Walmart is not tri-clad.

Here is the Tramotina tri-clad link:
Tramontina 8-Piece 18/10 Stainless Steel TriPly-Clad Cookware Set - Wal-Mart

Costco also sells it. I don't know if it's the same set. It's a little more expensive there.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
That link above for the Tramotina at Walmart is not tri-clad.

Here is the Tramotina tri-clad link:
Tramontina 8-Piece 18/10 Stainless Steel TriPly-Clad Cookware Set - Wal-Mart

Costco also sells it. I don't know if it's the same set. It's a little more expensive there.
You're right. Unfortunately... 'cause I like glass lids.

Man, I'm getting ashamed talking so much about pots and pans...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink