Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 08:21 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
The smoke from burning fats goes outside instead of filling the house with the smell of seared meat for three days. Most people don't have a true venting hood over their stoves.

Free education.
Thanks. That helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 01:46 PM

6,704 posts, read 5,933,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Can someone educate me on the advantages of gas "grilling" over indoor cooking? Or is it just indoor cooking with the fun of rain and/or 9F temperatures thrown in?

I was born a Weber Charcoal fan and will die a Weber Charcoal fan.
Also, as a friend pointed out to me recently, when you cook outdoors during hot weather, you're not heating up your house unnecessarily.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:36 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Can someone educate me on the advantages of gas "grilling" over indoor cooking? Or is it just indoor cooking with the fun of rain and/or 9F temperatures thrown in?

I was born a Weber Charcoal fan and will die a Weber Charcoal fan.

well,,, "grilling" is a good sign of spring ... after a long winter and most people here do not grill year round..

also

this may sound sexist, but most of the men I know do the grilling ... and the woman of the house welcomes it!!

also

it doesn't heat up a house on a hot day

also

flavor ,,, a charred steak on the grill is tough to beat especially if you throw in some wood chips

some folks have a fire or cooking "pit" in the backyard..... bbq-ing/smoking is a hobby of some

Old 10-26-2016, 06:58 PM

21 posts, read 25,526 times
One thing we did notice with our Weber grill is the quality of the charcoals. Who knew???

We bought a brand called "Royal" at Home Depot (red bag) - I believe it was the chunk kind of charcoal (the exact name escapes me at the moment). The food that came off the grill was just not as good and husband said the charcoals got too hot too fast. I'm not the griller in the family but I'm pretty sure there is a way around this, but my husband is used to doing it the way he always has done it so didn't add my 2 cents worth on that. We switched back to Kingsford Competition (blue and white bag) and food is much better.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:58 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missbusybody View Post
...I believe it was the chunk kind of charcoal (the exact name escapes me at the moment)...
Lump charcoal. I use it for low-and-slow BBQ cooking.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:29 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
One thing we did notice with our Weber grill is the quality of the charcoals. Who knew???

We bought a brand called "Royal" at Home Depot (red bag) - I believe it was the chunk kind of charcoal (the exact name escapes me at the moment). The food that came off the grill was just not as good and husband said the charcoals got too hot too fast. I'm not the griller in the family but I'm pretty sure there is a way around this, but my husband is used to doing it the way he always has done it so didn't add my 2 cents worth on that. We switched back to Kingsford Competition (blue and white bag) and food is much better.
I'm a Kingsford user myself. I'm repping you and the other posters who pointed out the "smells" and "heat" issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Also, as a friend pointed out to me recently, when you cook outdoors during hot weather, you're not heating up your house unnecessarily.
I tried to rep but I couldn't. Contra to that point though, if you have AC the door is opening and closing rather often, offsetting some of the benefit.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
a really good point. We do use both our smoker and weber year around but not often in the winter. I can't wait to try steaks this weekend now that we may have solved the raw meat problem.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:

spoiled brat preferss Kingsford: Tried other brands.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:29 PM

483 posts, read 418,367 times
Pic of my cat swatting the bell but our Weber performance grill in the corner of the pic.

Was interested in a Big Green Egg (BGE) type clay grill but deemed it too heavy for the deck. My brother in law had his Weber grill going for over 20years... Saw the Weber on sale and bought it. Never looked back since.

5 years since (grill every grilling weather weekend or 2 days a week) and still loving it!!!

P.S. We also have a Weber fire pit.
Attached Thumbnails
our Weber grill-received_1066268473407373.jpeg   our Weber grill-received_865541466813409.jpeg   our Weber grill-img_20161015_184242.jpg  

Old 10-27-2016, 01:34 PM

483 posts, read 418,367 times
We use Kingsford too..
Still have 4 bags in the garage.
(I stock pile for SHTF scenario and when I need to smoke all my meats in one go)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink