Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2016, 08:26 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I guess I just don't see how a "Mississippi Roast" is anymore "homemade" or "from scratch" or "healthy" than Hamburger Helper.
It isn't, and it's Food Fraud.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:47 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It isn't, and it's Food Fraud.
I think that's a rather harsh label...I'd describe it more as bovine excrement myself. Not the food, but the "It's homemade and sooooo much healthier and better than _____________"

(I don't even think that part would bother me. I think what bothers me is the "I'm so much better of a cook, wife and mom because I make XXXXX recipe with XXXXX packaged foods than ____________, who only makes Hamburger Helper.)

Old 10-27-2016, 09:17 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
I think that's a rather harsh label...I'd describe it more as bovine excrement myself. Not the food, but the "It's homemade and sooooo much healthier and better than _____________"

(I don't even think that part would bother me. I think what bothers me is the "I'm so much better of a cook, wife and mom because I make XXXXX recipe with XXXXX packaged foods than ____________, who only makes Hamburger Helper.)
It's like my sister who cooks dinner once a week and posts pictures of whatever she's cooked on social media so all her friends can compliment her. "Now that I'm a stay-home mommy, I have time to cook dinner now and then! It's so healthy! And so yummy!" (a subtle dig at her friends who've recently had babies and are GASP! still working) And everyone goes on about how lucky she is to be able to be home cooking for her family and how she's making wonderful memories...and I'm just looking at the post and thinking about how I cook every night and the novelty has worn off and I would never bother to take pictures of the food when it's done.

I've cooked dinner approximately 3600 times since I became a stay home mom and it's drudge work that I do not enjoy doing anymore. I think convenience foods were invented for people like me who are just burned out on cooking...but I can't use any of them anymore because of an allergy.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:21 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I've never known anyone who does a store-prepared holiday meal. Even people who don't often cook seem to enjoy contributing a home cooked side or dessert.

I have seen the stores advertising the complete store-prepared holiday meals and thought how sad they are. I could picture them being used for office parties but not for a family get together. Isn't part of the fun of holiday meals preparing and enjoying your traditional family recipes with your family? Even my sister-in-law who didn't especially like to cook pulled it together for family meals and prepared a really delicious corn casserole that had been in the family for years.
I only did that once. Thanksgiving 2010, I was 38 weeks pregnant, and evidently we are the only ones capable of hosting a holiday dinner [eyeroll]. Mr.Mathlete put his foot down and told his parents that we would all go to a restaurant, our treat. They, in turn, tried to back out the day before by pretending to have the flu. At that point I was like "Screw 'em. I'm practically crowning here, and have graciously cooked a turkey every year, in my teeny-tinty kitchen, in spite of being a vegetarian." The in laws miraculously recuperated the next day, so we ended up ordering take-out from Boston Market at the last minute.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 10-27-2016 at 09:41 PM..

Old 10-27-2016, 09:31 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
Sandra Lee - Semi-Homeade. Pretty long run on the Food Network so someone's cooking this way
Her "recipes" never seemed very appetizing to me.

I think it would be really hard these days, though, to cook completely from scratch. People just don't have the time or the access to unprocessed ingredients to cook from scratch even if they wanted to.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It's like my sister who cooks dinner once a week and posts pictures of whatever she's cooked on social media so all her friends can compliment her. "Now that I'm a stay-home mommy, I have time to cook dinner now and then! It's so healthy! And so yummy!" (a subtle dig at her friends who've recently had babies and are GASP! still working) And everyone goes on about how lucky she is to be able to be home cooking for her family and how she's making wonderful memories...and I'm just looking at the post and thinking about how I cook every night and the novelty has worn off and I would never bother to take pictures of the food when it's done.

I've cooked dinner approximately 3600 times since I became a stay home mom and it's drudge work that I do not enjoy doing anymore. I think convenience foods were invented for people like me who are just burned out on cooking...but I can't use any of them anymore because of an allergy.
Of course convenience foods were created for people like you...and people who work 40-60+ hours a week, and people like me, who spend many (uncountable) hours working from home, and anyone else who doesn't have tons of time to cook. They're also made for those who don't know how to cook well. There is nothing wrong with them. At all. Sorry you can't use any of them anymore.

And yes, it does remind me of the "sister who cooks dinner once a week..." haha. EXACTLY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I only did that once. Thanksgiving 2010, I was 38 weeks pregnant, and evidently we are the only ones capable of hosting a holiday dinner [eyeroll]. Mr.Mathlete put his foot down and told his parents that we would all go to a restaurant, our treat. They, in turn, tried to back out the day before by pretending to have the flu. At that point I was like "Screw 'em. I'm practically crowning here, and have graciously cooked a turkey every year, in my teeny-tinty kitchen, in spite of being a vegetarian." The in laws miraculously recuperated the next day, so we ended up ordering take-out from Boston Market at the last minute.
What a story! How was Boston Market? Pretty daggone good when you were that pregnant and "so over it," I'm guessing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Her "recipes" never seemed very appetizing to me.

I think it would be really hard these days, though, to cook completely from scratch. People just don't have the time or the access to unprocessed ingredients to cook from scratch even if they wanted to.
Yeah...her semi-homemade recipes were always just kind of weird to me. I saw her show a few times, and I also bought a few of her cookbooks at a yard sale once for $0.10 a piece.

There was one "recipe" where you were supposed to buy a pre-made pumpkin pie, scrape the filling out and layer it with vanilla pudding in a wine glass, then top with whipped cream. "Classy."

If I'm going to do that, I'd rather just buy the damned pie and say "Here's dessert, y'all!"

Old 10-27-2016, 10:02 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Did you even read my OP?
Did you?

Old 10-27-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Did you?
I'm not "judging" her for using convenience foods.

I just think it's BS that she cooks that way all the time (and yes, all the time), with tons of packets and boxes and blah blah blah, but then she really bashes those who feed their families Hamburger Helper, take-out meals, etc.

I just don't see how they are all that different.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:38 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
I'm not "judging" her for using convenience foods.

I just think it's BS that she cooks that way all the time (and yes, all the time), with tons of packets and boxes and blah blah blah, but then she really bashes those who feed their families Hamburger Helper, take-out meals, etc.

I just don't see how they are all that different.
It's obvious, not just on this thread, that a lot of people don't bother to read. All this is about is someone bragging about semi junk food on FB that they seem to think is superior to someone else's semi junk food.

Neither person is making their meals from scratch. Most people don't enjoy listening to braggarts, and especially someone who has nothing to brag about.

Personally, I'd rather hear from people who use their brain to come up with some creative time saving methods so that they can really cook even though they work all week. And people who use leftovers to make really good meals. That matters more to me than some person using food that came in a box. As long as they don't brag about it!

Old 10-27-2016, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's obvious, not just on this thread, that a lot of people don't bother to read. All this is about is someone bragging about semi junk food on FB that they seem to think is superior to someone else's semi junk food.

Neither person is making their meals from scratch. Most people don't enjoy listening to braggarts, and especially someone who has nothing to brag about.

Personally, I'd rather hear from people who use their brain to come up with some creative time saving methods so that they can really cook even though they work all week. And people who use leftovers to make really good meals. That matters more to me than some person using food that came in a box. As long as they don't brag about it!
THANK YOU FOR ACTUALLY READING WHAT I WROTE!!

And yes, I agree. It's so fun -- and sometimes AMAZING -- to see what people do with leftovers. I'm pretty boring when it comes to that...I either eat them as-is, or I toss them in my "soup bag" in the freezer. My "soup bag" is the home of leftover veggies, meats, gravies, etc. When I get ready to make soup, I dump it all in and adjust accordingly. It has always yielded a great pot of soup...

As for other time savers, I will say that I sometimes like to "double cook." Like, if I'm going through the trouble of making spaghetti sauce, I'll go ahead and make a double batch so that I can freeze some of the sauce. Last time I made a lasagna, I made a second one for the freezer...and I'll be danged if it wasn't better than the "original!"

At Thanksgiving, even though I cook for a smaller crowd, I go ahead and buy the biggest turkey I can so that I can freeze the leftover turkey meat for pot pies, tacos, casseroles, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink