Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 05:33 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,382,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Cauliflower and cabbage. Frozen cauliflower, if fresh isn't available. Frozen zucchini.

Cabbage is pretty good cut into wedges, brushed with olive oil and roasted.
do people really eat that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 05:37 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,350,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Yes, though I prefer kohlrabi.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:38 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,760,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Yes, I do!

I eat a LOT of broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussell sprouts, spinach, and romaine, all of which are currently in my fridge. I make mashed cauliflower and riced cauliflower. Broccoli slaw mixed with mayo is delicious. Brussell sprout salad (shredded) and roasted sprouts (whole or halved), sprinkled with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spinach cooked in eggs. Romaine and spinach salads.

I do not eat root vegetables (potatoes, beets, turnips, rutabagas). Most I just plain do not like, and they also have too many carbs for my eating plan.

For fruit, I prefer berries. Good fresh ones are hard to come by this time of year, so I do get a bag of frozen mixed berries and keep that in my fridge to top my chia pudding, put in my smoothies, or mix in with my plain yogurt.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:28 PM

12,034 posts, read 8,392,431 times
We love rutabagas so much that mashed rutabaga with salt and butter is part of our traditional Christmas meal. We eat it all winter but for that special meal we eat it in honor of our Scandinavian ancestors. They depended so much on this hearty, well-keeping vegetable that here in the Midwest people actually called them "swedes."

The last time I bought one the kid behind the cash register frowned and said, "What's this?"

Cabbage, also. I fix it au gratin in a cheese sauce.

A little food history here. I read in a book called "The History of Food" that during the plague the Dutch faired somewhat better than their European neighbors. It said the reason for this was their habit of eating root vegetables which the majority of Europeans scorned as hog food.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:25 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,461,496 times
I agree on living in AZ/the produce here. We are so close to the source/are the source right down the road in the low desert, there's always a great variety of great fresh produce year round.

If I lived in cold/snow country far away from the source of decent fresh produce, besides canned or dried beans, rice, or things like fresh potatoes or romaine hearts which keep/are ok fresh in the winter, I'd buy most of my vegetables frozen. Frozen isn't my favorite but it's nutritious and often tastes better than many things sold as "fresh" in winter in most of the country based on my experience when visiting the "tundra" zones. You have my sympathies.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:53 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,640,610 times
The same thing every winter. Squash, turnip, carrots, beets, cabbage, cauliflower, potatoes. I use frozen corn, peas, blueberries, strawberries. Good oranges are expensive so I skimp on them except for a treat. You can still get bananas in winter. We eat more stews and pot roasts. Just do the best you can until fresh food is available again.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,639,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Yes, I do!

I eat a LOT of broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussell sprouts, spinach, and romaine, all of which are currently in my fridge. I make mashed cauliflower and riced cauliflower. Broccoli slaw mixed with mayo is delicious. Brussell sprout salad (shredded) and roasted sprouts (whole or halved), sprinkled with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spinach cooked in eggs. Romaine and spinach salads.

I do not eat root vegetables (potatoes, beets, turnips, rutabagas). Most I just plain do not like, and they also have too many carbs for my eating plan.

For fruit, I prefer berries. Good fresh ones are hard to come by this time of year, so I do get a bag of frozen mixed berries and keep that in my fridge to top my chia pudding, put in my smoothies, or mix in with my plain yogurt.
love all the veggies and yes, I mash cauliflower as well. Love it combined with mashed potatoes. I never thought about brussel sprout salad, we usually roast them or mashed them with lemon and butter. I even love those you say you do not like: beets are my favorite; prefer turnips raw. There are so many good veggies even in the winter. We are blessed to have many choices.

I have to say, we have lived in 7 states including northern VA where the winters were pretty cold, I have always found enough fresh produce winter and summer to satisfy us. A friend in VA said she had one phrase to describe me: the lady who served fresh veggies year around. I guess that was a compliment?

Old 10-30-2016, 08:38 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,125,067 times
You don't have a Walmart? The fresh produce section of my walmart in coastal Maine is the best I ever saw anywhere.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:05 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,387,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
We love rutabagas so much that mashed rutabaga with salt and butter is part of our traditional Christmas meal. We eat it all winter but for that special meal we eat it in honor of our Scandinavian ancestors. They depended so much on this hearty, well-keeping vegetable that here in the Midwest people actually called them "swedes."

The last time I bought one the kid behind the cash register frowned and said, "What's this?"

Cabbage, also. I fix it au gratin in a cheese sauce.

A little food history here. I read in a book called "The History of Food" that during the plague the Dutch faired somewhat better than their European neighbors. It said the reason for this was their habit of eating root vegetables which the majority of Europeans scorned as hog food.
Rutabaga is so GOOD

Old 10-30-2016, 10:01 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,249,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I agree on living in AZ/the produce here. We are so close to the source/are the source right down the road in the low desert, there's always a great variety of great fresh produce year round.

If I lived in cold/snow country far away from the source of decent fresh produce, besides canned or dried beans, rice, or things like fresh potatoes or romaine hearts which keep/are ok fresh in the winter, I'd buy most of my vegetables frozen. Frozen isn't my favorite but it's nutritious and often tastes better than many things sold as "fresh" in winter in most of the country based on my experience when visiting the "tundra" zones. You have my sympathies.

One of the more unique things about living in Arizona is that fresh produce of good quality is hard to find in July- September, a period where most of the country has loads of it. We are only now starting to see the trickle of Mexican produce coming north.

However, the situation in the rest of the country is no longer that dire. With produce sourced throughout the world, you can get MOST items for a good portion of the year if you are willing to pay a slightly higher price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink