Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 02:15 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
Why is that, [jlawrence01[/b]? It would THINK that it would be the opposite, but I've never given it much thought. (Semi-deep thoughts and I just don't get along. )

The bulk of the produce that comes into Southern Arizona comes from Mexico most of the year. There is a significant drop off in quality during the summer months. In addition, the prices do increase.

There are exceptions. Sweet corn tends to be better in the summer months - but that is largely because the major supermarkets are sourcing from the Midwest, not Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 02:31 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The bulk of the produce that comes into Southern Arizona comes from Mexico most of the year. There is a significant drop off in quality during the summer months. In addition, the prices do increase.

There are exceptions. Sweet corn tends to be better in the summer months - but that is largely because the major supermarkets are sourcing from the Midwest, not Arizona.
Interesting! My mom lives in Arizona and has never mentioned it - however she lives hours north of you in Prescott. One thing she has bemoaned however is that she can't find sweet corn that is as good as she used to get here, but she keeps forgetting that we always went to roadside stands or friends/neighbors for our sweet corn - where I grew up was very rural and there were still had lots of farms actively being worked. You just can't compare that to store sweet corn.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:21 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times
kale. Cooked Fresh in water , then thrown with himalayan salt, fresh pepper, olive oil and fresh garlic.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:35 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
We had stuffed spaghetti squash for dinner tonight. Although harvested in the fall, winter squash keep a long time and are widely available at the market until spring. They are a staple of our winter table.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:41 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Apples, pears, root vegies, and cabbage family (kale, broccoli, etc).

Old 10-30-2016, 09:04 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,508 times
Orange things--acorn squash, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, yams, pumpkin, carrots

leafy types: Bok choy, lettuce, spinach, celery, kale, cabbage

Other things: spaghetti squash, onions, potatoes, zucchini, yellow crocked neck squash, broccoli, peppers

Fruits: apples, pears, grapefruit, oranges, tangelos, tangerines, bananas

And although not the best, even Walmart has these items in decent quality and affordable

Old 10-31-2016, 08:16 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,530 times
Can't grow them where I live but there are always (so far) lots in the store in mid-winter (even if the price seems to go up every year lately) ... pomegranates!

Old 10-31-2016, 09:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
Can't grow them where I live but there are always (so far) lots in the store in mid-winter (even if the price seems to go up every year lately) ... pomegranates!
Grew up in the L.A. I lot of kids had them in their yards and all they were good for then, was to dig out the seeds and eat them, getting juice all over our hands and hearing our moms scream at us. Silly us, silly mom, now they are used for so many things.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:11 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Now that I live near Canada, I'm amazed at the amount of really good produce that comes in from British Columbia in the winter. They must have lots of greenhouses there, because I can get really tasty tomatoes, cucumbers & other salad fixings & different vegetables for good prices all winter...much better than I ever found in SoCal. I do miss good citrus though, but I never bought it in CA, just picked it off my trees. I'm not lacking for really good apples or pears, as so many varieties grow here, plus my own & neighborhood trees. And I'm still hoarding the last of my Walla Walla onions...they grow those in BC, too, & they're huge!

I don't know, but I always thought that the best of CA's produce got shipped out of state. That's the main reason we had a vegetable garden there...I wanted decent tomatoes, peppers & cukes!

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 11-02-2016 at 05:20 AM..

Old 11-03-2016, 04:03 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Oranges and apples are in season in winter, as are turnips, parsnips, cabbage and the other cole crops like Brussels sprouts and rabe. The taters are brand new instead of old and tired this time of year. And, my God, the rutabagas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink