Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 06:41 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,312,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Madelaines
Cream puffs (heaven!)
Bread pudding
Pineapple upside down cake
oh yes.. My mom made cream puffs and bread pudding too. Thanks for reminding me.

Real cream puffs are nothing like the frozen soggy dough balls with pudding inside that most people know today. Our cream puff's were slightly crunchy. My mom made the pudding that went inside them from scratch too. I used to love them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 06:48 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,008 times
I don't really remember much in the way of desserts as my mother was not much of a baker. My father was fond of what we called ice cream cake roll but I know that came from the store.

Aside from that, the usual Christmas cookies, and fruitcake (was never a fan.)

My parents did return from a cruise in the early '50s with a recipe for Key Lime pie which became a favorite when it was made, which wasn't very often.

I became the cook and baker when my mother died (I was 13) and most of the recipes for baked goods I use to this day came from reading Woman's Day and Family Circle magazines for recipes to feed our large family.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:43 PM

32,915 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Nothing against your mom....I just remember boxes of cooked pudding and the "skin" on top after it cooled...I could never the consistency of it and got in trouble if I tried to not eat that part. Finally my mom switched to instant pudding!

As for other desserts - she'd make fancy cakes for her club meetings and sometimes we'd get the leftovers - Hummingbird cake
"Pig (pickin') cake"
and of course carrot cake with coconut, pineapple bits, double nuts, and carrots! Cream cheese frosting with just a touch of orange extract added...
You're supposed to stir it as it cools or press some plastic wrap or wax paper on top so it doesn't get the skin.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I hated the "skin." My mother finally started putting a piece of wax paper over the pudding before she put it in the fridge and that stopped the skin from forming. I guess I would do that now except I eat it ALL while it's still hot.
I posted before I read this, but yeah, who has cold pudding left?

My friend, former neighbor, made the best pound cakes in the world. The world. Vanilla bean, lemon poppy seed, chocolate swirl.

Mom used to make outstanding apple pie. Once in a while she'd make apple rhubarb, because dad loved rhubarb. Her pumpkin pie was terrific, but she hated the stuff and didn't make it often. Dad, my sister and I ate all of it in short order. There was always trifle at some point during the Christmas season, and mince pies. Not a big pie, but individual tarts with a lid.

She didn't like to make the same thing all of the time, so one week it would be rice pudding, and the next lemon bars, then a layer cake. You never knew what you were going to get.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
My Mom was a terrible cook. Sorry, Mom....but it was true. Her idea of a good dinner might have been a tuna noodle casserole or a bunch of salmon cakes (lord, spare me!). But the one talent she had in the kitchen was her ability to make perfect pies. She made pies that would make the angels sing.

We had an old apple orchard on our property, and in Fall she might make 6 or 7 apple pies from the antique apples we picked. She would send most of them out to friends and neighbors, and trust me, they were thrilled to get them.

She is gone now, unfortunately, and her pie making skills never passed to my sister or me. I can make a good pie, but nowhere near the perfection of hers. I would give a lot to sit with a coffee and a pie with her and visit.
I can make a good pie. Really. But my mother's may have been a tad better. My grandmother's pies? Nope. I can't touch them. Maybe it is just the memory, but grandma made the best apple pie I've ever eaten in my life.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:05 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
Her go-to recipe was a boxed white cake, baked in a 9x13 pan. She'd poke holes in it and then pour liquid Jell-O over the top (usually a red flavor). Once it had set, she'd frost it with Cool Whip.
I HATED that cake.

Does anybody remember the scene in Sixteen Candles where the grandparents are in the kitchen at breakfast? One grandma is cooking sausages and is looking very grandmotherly.
The other grandma has her full face on, hair and nails done, and is holding a cigarette while opening a box of donuts with a knife. "Voila! Breakfast is served."
Yeah, my mom was the second one.
That's HILARIOUS.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Mom used to feed us tapioca pudding a lot, she called it fish eyes and glue.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:42 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,037 times
My Great-Grandmother made something called cottage pudding, the recipe died with her. I'd love to be able to reproduce that recipe. I've personally never eaten it but have done numerous searches for a recipe and people who have eaten it say they are not the same.

My Family were never big on desserts, the occasional pan of brownies or a spice cake if company was coming over.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:19 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times
my grandmother made this recipe called cherry heaven . It was graham cracker crust with cherry pie filling and cream cheese mixed together on top . it was so good . My grandmother was the baker in the family and she made the most delicious cakes and pies . She always made cherry heaven because she said it was so easy . I think most of her recipes were in her head because rarely did she write them down . She also made pig pickin cake as well . Cobblers of all kinds . She also made something called angel biscuits and they were the lightest and fluffiest biscuits you ever put in your mouth .I have tried and tried to make those I just cant get it right for some reason .I mean at Christmas time grandma was a baking powerhouse , fudge , cookies of all kinds , cakes , pies , etc . Her house looked like a bakery at Christmas time . Sadly she passed over 25 yrs ago and I still miss her like crazy .

Old 11-08-2016, 09:28 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
My Mother put ice cream bought at the grocery in a bowl with Nestles Quick on it or Jello with cool whip on it.
She was not a baker or dessert maker.
My Mom was not much of a baker either. Those out of the box puddings were not to bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink