Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 04:40 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times

Advertisements

I'd also suggest redefining leftovers. Most meats cooked in a simple form such as pork chops can be sliced, cubed, shredded, etc., can be portioned out, frozen and made into another meal. This is a way to keep food from going to waste and a way to have an easy to cook meal.

I've been been on the the run chauffeuring kids around most of the day. I don't count spaghetti as a healthy meal, but it is quick and easy. We had hamburgers the other day. My husband grilled while I cooked the rest of the fresh meat that wasn't used for burgers with some chopped onion, garlic, garlic salt and pepper. I put it into individual baggies and froze it. I pull it out when I need it and just stick it in the pan with the sauce.

You can do the same thing or freeze your raw meat in individual baggies and set in the refrigerator the night before to be thawed for the next day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 05:29 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
I cook for two but I have a similar issue. Usually I make a full serving then freeze half to 3/4 of it. You could freeze leftovers in containers just big enough for one meal each. Probably not what you are looking for but just a thought.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:05 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
You might be interested in this book, The Pleasures of Cooking for One, by Judith Jones. She was editor at Knopf to Julia Child and Marcella Hazan. I have a copy I'm willing to give you. PM me with your address if you're interested.

https://smile.amazon.com/Pleasures-C...ooking+for+one

Old 11-16-2016, 06:50 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
I cook for two but I have a similar issue. Usually I make a full serving then freeze half to 3/4 of it. You could freeze leftovers in containers just big enough for one meal each. Probably not what you are looking for but just a thought.
OP has said he does not like leftovers.

I agree with him. I do not do leftovers either.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
OP has said he does not like leftovers.

I agree with him. I do not do leftovers either.
I think some things work really well as leftovers: braises, soups, stews and long cooked items. Other things don't work well on day 2.

I do like cooking a simple meat and then using it in a different way the next day. Like maybe grilled chicken with potatoes on day 1. Day 2 that chicken tops a salad.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:07 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,973,733 times
One 'can' make lasagna for one but why do that when you often have to buy the ingredients in larger quantities than for one meal anyway. Chances are you either have leftover ingredients or leftover results.

Is lasagna that is cut into squares, cooked and frozen immediately after removing one square from the pan and reheated another day really a 'leftover' in the same sense as maybe the last bits of a Chinese takeout order that cannot be frozen might be? Or would it be a leftover if you didn't even cook it tonight but assembled it in a large pan and then cut out one portion to bake tonight and separated the rest into individual portions as well and froze them for cooking another time.

What I am getting at is .. what really IS a 'leftover' to you, OP?

May I also ask, OP, how you have been eating till now if you have not been cooking for yourself? Did you buy frozen dinners? Or did you eat out every day and if there was too much you didn't ever take home a 'doggie bag'?

Old 11-17-2016, 10:15 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,518,718 times
Start off with a chicken/vegetable soup. I add pearl barley 45 minutes before it is done. You can then freeze portions. Simplest thing to do if for just one or two people. Always in my freezer. A quality meal.

Also always in my freezer - A bag of quality frozen raviolis. I heat up a small can of sauce and add a little sliced ham for flavor.

Martha Stewart has some great videos on how to do things. Check out her website. I have professional training as a chef but I still look to Martha for ideas. She knows her stuff. Her sister's "Hoppin' John" has been a tradition in my house for years. Also on the website.

http://www.marthastewart.com/911932/...-and-cornbread

Food is fun.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:02 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,541 times
I appreciate all your suggestions. Prior to retiring the vast majority of my lunches were either eaten out or picked up and brought back to my office. Dinners were either a salad, fast food or something taken out of the freezer. When I ate out and had leftovers I would usually send them home with my companions or hand them to the next homeless person I saw. (Actually in San Francisco it is common to place leftovers from restaurants on the top of the city recycling bins for anyone hungry enough to eat them.)
I have no idea of the proper way to freeze and reheat food. Do I wait until it is completely cooled before freezing? Do freezer bags with the sliding locks work well? How long can you freeze something? How do you reheat something so it retains the flavor and texture? I know microwaving some items to reheat them makes them rubbery.
Sorry if these are such basic questions.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:53 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,518,718 times
Another staple in my house. - Tacos.

I buy a package of 10 Mission brand soft-taco flour tacos (tortillas). 8 inch size.

In a 8 inch frypan lightly sauté 1/3 sweet onion and 1/3 pepper. When done take out of pan and put in a small bowl. Then fry up some ground beef or chicken strips (1/3 pound). I season with McCormick chili powder. When done add the onion and green pepper. Heat up and throw on the tortilla wrap. I don't even heat up the tortilla anymore. You can add whatever you like but this is a good start. Cheese is always welcome.

Tapito is a good hot sauce which is relatively low sodium. Also not too hot. Walmart has it for about a buck a bottle. A bottle does not last long in this house.

Scrambled egg tacos another favorite. Just one egg per taco. I used a taco wrap to make my ham and cheese sandwich today (chopped fresh lettuce added).

Tacos are easy and fun. Good for a one or two person household.

Recipes | Mission Foods

Old 11-17-2016, 05:17 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Another staple in my house. - Tacos.

I buy a package of 10 Mission brand soft-taco flour tacos (tortillas). 8 inch size.

In a 8 inch frypan lightly sauté 1/3 sweet onion and 1/3 pepper. When done take out of pan and put in a small bowl. Then fry up some ground beef or chicken strips (1/3 pound). I season with McCormick chili powder. When done add the onion and green pepper. Heat up and throw on the tortilla wrap. I don't even heat up the tortilla anymore. You can add whatever you like but this is a good start. Cheese is always welcome.

Tapito is a good hot sauce which is relatively low sodium. Also not too hot. Walmart has it for about a buck a bottle. A bottle does not last long in this house.

Scrambled egg tacos another favorite. Just one egg per taco. I used a taco wrap to make my ham and cheese sandwich today (chopped fresh lettuce added).

Tacos are easy and fun. Good for a one or two person household.

Recipes | Mission Foods
Thanks, NJB. Sounds really good.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to NJBoy3 again."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink